Brightest nightwatch

Thread: Brightest nightwatch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brightest nightwatch

I am looking for a really good night watch. i.e. an analogue watch an can be easily be read at night without the fading away of super luminova.

Anyone know which brand/model watch has the clearest and brightest visibility ALL night among the tritium gas or LED range?

New York City: "The city that never sleeps". If it got some sleep, it wouldn't look so crappy!

Re: Brightest nightwatch

Never seen it in person, but the Ball Night Train has a whole lot of gas tubes! 63 of them in total, and of the extra bright T-100 type (yes, each minute marker has a tube!).

For an ana-digital, there's the scarce and pricey Omega X-33. A push of a button produced an 8 lumen glow-- by comparison, a standard cell phone LCD produces 5 lumen.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    The best watch is the one that makes you happiest... and tells the time.

There are several Ball watches with T100 tubes, but truth be told, my Engineer Hydrocarbon II has T25 tubes (with 25 millicurie ratings) and the double width tube -size emits luminosity bright enough for me and the next county.
    Head over to the Ball forum, if you're interested. There are plenty of discussions about perceptions of brightness and the luminosity of the various tube strengths and configurations.

Ball: Engineer Hydrocarbon Classic II White Dial, Fireman 40mm Black Dial & Orange Numeral
    Daniel Mink 200m PVD Diver
    Gevril First Generation AO111R Blued Steel Dial
    Hamilton Khaki Field Automatics: H70455143 38mm Blue Dial, H7151693 42mm Black Dial Chrono
    Krieger Titanium Oceanus Chronometer #00099
    Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch

Amazin' Victorinox V7-22X Red Dial
    Zodiac: Sea Dragon 2209, 2220, 2228, 2233; Desert Hawk 2506
    Vintage Benrus
    Vintage Gruen Precision
    Vintage Movado c1945 17j 14k square ref43872
    Vintage Howard Pocketwatch

Quote Originally Posted by STEVIE View Post
    I am looking for a really good night watch. i.e. an analogue watch an can be easily be read at night without the fading away of super luminova.

Anyone know which brand/model watch has the clearest and brightest visibility ALL night among the tritium gas or LED range?

I think based on what you've said, tritium tubes are definitely the way to go!

For the brightest you'll probably have to go with a Ball watch. Just be aware that some models are brighter than others, so be sure to check first. (There are many factors that could affect the perceived brightness of the tubes.) I actually don't know which Ball watch is the brightest but the Night Train model mentioned earlier looks like it could be one of the brightest, as it uses brighter and larger tubes.

As an example, in the picture below, the Ball watch on the left and the Luminox on the right both use tritium tubes, and are about the same in brightness. However, the tubes in the hands of the Luminox are very slightly thicker than those on the Ball, and even that little difference makes the hands on the Luminox seem a little more visible to me. (I would imagine that those Balls with the much thicker tubes, like the Night Train, would be much more visible.)

Hope that helps somewhat!

Regards,
    - TY -

I can't sell you on it (mainly b/c my I can't get a good lume pic to take but my S&W tritum has a pretty good lume on it unless there is a "bright" full moon then it lacks a little. Also, I worked with a guy up till about 3 yrs ago that had a luminox that had an outstanding tritum. (We restore downed electrical lines at all hours of the night so seeing time in the dark is a must.) I think that tritium is a good way to go when light is a factor in "refreshing" super lumes". What do you do that you need an all dark time watch?

Banned

Does someone have a picture of the Orient Star diver lume? The last picture I saw of one made it look like you could use it to power the bat signal.

Quote Originally Posted by imtrbo View Post
    I think based on what you've said, tritium tubes are definitely the way to go!

For the brightest you'll probably have to go with a Ball watch. Just be aware that some models are brighter than others, so be sure to check first. (There are many factors that could affect the perceived brightness of the tubes.) I actually don't know which Ball watch is the brightest but the Night Train model mentioned earlier looks like it could be one of the brightest, as it uses brighter and larger tubes.

As an example, in the picture below, the Ball watch on the left and the Luminox on the right both use tritium tubes, and are about the same in brightness. However, the tubes in the hands of the Luminox are very slightly thicker than those on the Ball, and even that little difference makes the hands on the Luminox seem a little more visible to me. (I would imagine that those Balls with the much thicker tubes, like the Night Train, would be much more visible.)

Hope that helps somewhat!

Yes thanks for the pics. The center watch is a Seiko? What model is that and how good is the Lume?
    I can buy Seiko and H3 here in Australia, but there are no AD's for Ball unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVIE View Post
    Yes thanks for the pics. The center watch is a Seiko? What model is that and how good is the Lume?
    I can buy Seiko and H3 here in Australia, but there are no AD's for Ball unfortunately.

Yup it's a Seiko Black Monster. The lume is INCREDIBLE when freshly charged, but after 15 to 30 mins (roughly) the Ball and Luminox are brighter.

I'll try to do some sort of lume test and post the results here.

Btw, I live in Australia too. I got my Seiko from an ebay seller in Sydney, but both my Ball and Luminox are from Singapore. I really wish Ball had a presence here. Their rep has said that it's on their list, so hopefully they'll be here soon!
    Regards,
    - TY -

Yay I did my lume test, results are in this thread:

Lume Test: Ball EMII Diver, Seiko Monster, Luminox. (MANY pics)
    Regards,
    - TY -

Stevie there are excellent lume comparison threads in the Dive Watch reference sub-forum.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f135/
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information