Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Buying a watch in the Caribbean

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Buying a watch in the Caribbean

Yesterday I called an AD in the Caribbean about buying a JLC. He quoted me the MSRP in USD and then a "Net" price that was 20% less. He hinted that I may be able to do a bit better if I showed up in person. A few years ago I recall I got 15% off my IWC Portuguese, but I can't recall if it was 15% off the MSRP or the Net price? Does anyone know what the typical discounts down there are? If its just 20% I can get a similar deal in the US, but if its actually 15% off the Net price then its worth the trip.

Mod. Public/Cafe and MaL Ray MacDonald's Avatar

Re: Buying a watch in the Caribbean

I would say the original quote of 15-20% off MRSP is what I remember being quoted on a B&M dress watch but I wasn't buying seriously. You won't pay sales taxes either (if we consider for example the USVI) but coming back to the US you only have around $1600 tax exemption per person as a US citizen. Your JLC will be more than that so you'd have to plan to pay some duty and tax I think. Certainly as a Canadian I'd expect to pay quite a bit as we have nowhere near that sort of exemption.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Good thread...I'd appreciate anyone's experience around which Carribean Islands offer the best value for watch shoppers...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyc View Post
    Yesterday I called an AD in the Caribbean about buying a JLC. He quoted me the MSRP in USD and then a "Net" price that was 20% less. He hinted that I may be able to do a bit better if I showed up in person. A few years ago I recall I got 15% off my IWC Portuguese, but I can't recall if it was 15% off the MSRP or the Net price? Does anyone know what the typical discounts down there are? If its just 20% I can get a similar deal in the US, but if its actually 15% off the Net price then its worth the trip.
    Was the Net price the actual price, or was that a Discount?
    Check out the price at Kirk Freeport in Grand Cayman. I get between 5 and 20% off their prices, depending on the brand.
    It is a Jungle out there with the prices.

I walked in to a store in St. Thomas recently and bought a Citizen (black ion plate diver chrono with depth meter) for 50% off the $700 list price. On returning to the US, after substantial internet searching, the best price I found was 25% off list.

That particular store did not have high watches, although there were high end watch stores nearby. I did not scrutinize the high end prices so closely and can't comment on those.
    Last edited by Gary123; March 7th, 2012 at 17:56.
    Breitling ss/rose Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Chronographe Sequential, Alain Silberstein Krono Bauhaus II, BRM MT-51/49, Breguet Marine II Chrono 18k, Franck Muller Conquistador chrono, IWC Aquatimer chrono, B&M Capeland 1000m XXL, Angular Momentum diver, IWC Big Pilot, Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Calendrier Retrograde, JLC Navy Seals chrono, bronze Hellberg CH-1, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Ancon bronze M26 Tank, Helson Sharkdiver

I walked in to a store in St. Thomas recently and bought a Citizen (black ion plate diver chrono with depth meter) for 50% off the $700 list price.
    Agree, as I have purchased three different watches the last two times I was down in Grand Cayman and scored about 50% off each.
    Last edited by Nokie; March 7th, 2012 at 20:06.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

Banned

We WUSsers love paying Duties etc , as honest citizens. So we might want to stop talking about them, or those not knowing how honest and law abiding we are, might get the impression that some might even think of not declaring their purchase.
    Horrible!!

It is an open Forum, can be read by everybody in the World!
    NWP627 likes this.

I would be careful I bet there are a bunch of knock offs down there since it is mainly tourism and they have it set up to take our money!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KingK12 View Post
    I would be careful I bet there are a bunch of knock offs down there since it is mainly tourism and they have it set up to take our money!
    You are totally, 100% wrong. The ADs carry genuine stuff. I have been to every watch shop here on Island, and not seen one Fake.
    Kirk Freeport is the worlds largest seller of Rolexes. Unless some store in Russia or PRC has overtaken them recently.
    They carry a huge sortiment of Rolexes, of every model.
    Same with the other High End brands.
    Last edited by Janne; March 7th, 2012 at 20:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Was the Net price the actual price, or was that a Discount? Check out the price at Kirk Freeport in Grand Cayman. I get between 5 and 20% off their prices, depending on the brand.It is a Jungle out there with the prices.
    If the MSRP price was say $100, they quoted me a Net price of $80. I assume that since many islands are duty free they have a 15%-20% advantage over ADs in the US. I was wondering if its typical to get an additional 15% off the Net price?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information