Buying watches from Amazon.com?

Thread: Buying watches from Amazon.com?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Buying watches from Amazon.com?

Hi everyone. always reading a lot of great advice from posters here, and my question is whether buying watches from amazon.com is a good idea? i'm not one to want to sell on my watches, they are for my enjoyment and something that i can collect and grow over my lifetime.

any feedback would be much appreciated

cheers,

jason

Inactive

Re: Buying watches from Amazon.com?

If your buying them to keep them then amazon is a fine place to get them. also overstock.com. plus shnoop does the deal of the day and has some great waches every so often.

I have bought several from Amazon.com, they stock some watches themselves and others are supplied by 3rd parties, but all are reputable. I am not sure I would buy 'expensive' watches there without making sure of warrantees etc. (Look into the whole gray market vs. AD debate) Prices are often excellent. Amazon has a return policy as well, I have used it for other items, but not watches.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

i know their Tag range are gray market.
    no tag warranty

Inactive

thats true on the tag heuer and some others they sell. if the watches have there serial numbers intact, tag will do repairs, but not under warranty. if the numbers are erased, forget it. tag won't touch one. the gray market debate is a long one and for many reasons. amazon offers a warranty as does other gray market sellers. on a low end watch, thats fine as they can handle the service. but when you get into tag heuer, omega, when a warranty is offered from the seller, lets say amazon, what can you really expect? well, not much. thats the big debate. buy gray market and save some money, but take a risk about getting it repaired if it breaks, or buying it from a ad. lets say you bought a omega gray market and it breaks and requires parts. well who has omega parts? omega does and they don't sell them. so what did your warranty get you? well nothing. chances are if its fixed, its going to be with non omega parts. so now you have the snowball effect. you saved some money on the front end, but your watch breaks and amazon repairs it with non omega parts. after the warranty runs out, you need to get your omega serviced. guess what. that money you saved up front is now going to cost you big time. why? you send your omega into omegas service center. omega opens the watch, finds non omega parts in it. they give you a estimate for the service. its twice what it would have been because they won't service it unless they can replace those after market parts with omega parts. I know this is a long post, but saving money on the purchase price of a watch your going to keep, will end up costing much more than if you just bought it from a authorised retailer.

Nice Post,

I have never been all that clear about grey market watches but your post has fixed that.

thanks mate.

I bought a Citizen with my American Express points from Amazon.com and the service was great. I had an issue with the band. It was ok but not perfect imo and they took it back no problem. paid for shipping back and had a new one in a week.

I purchased my Tag Link Calibre 36 on Amazon. It's a pretty expensive watch, but Amazon had a great price and I have bought a lot of other things off their site. Tag does not give a warranty, but Amazon gives a 2 year warranty serviced through a 3rd party.

The serial numbers are all intact, all of the paperwork (and boxes...) are included with the watch and there is a 30 day return policy.

Since the initial Tag warranty is 2 years (which Amazon matches) any issues post 2 years would be serviced the same by Tag (and at the same expense).

I highly recommend buying from Amazon, specifically a watch that comes from Amazon, as I cannot comment on 3rd party dealers through Amazon.

In terms of "grey market vs. AD," my understanding is that a true "grey market" watch is a watch that probably doesn't have serial numbers in tact and hence can't be tracked, therefore on the long-term you are unlikely to get serviced by the original manufacturer.

However, if you buy a watch through Amazon specifically, the watches arrive with serial numbers in tact and all the relevant cards except for the manufacturer's warranty. What does this mean? If something happens to your watch within a couple years, you do not get your Omega or Tag service for free. Amazon would cover it for free if you wanted them to.

I made the decision to buy from Amazon because I saved a few hundred dollars over the next-best price I could find anywhere on my watch, an Omega SMP. IF something happens within a couple years, I'll send my watch to OMEGA, pay whatever it costs to have the watch repaired, and most likely *still* come out cheaper than having bought the watch new from some other source. But the odds are that in two years I'm going to have a watch identical to anyone that bought from an AD, and if my watch breaks I'll have to send it off to Omega and foot the bill just as the AD-buyer would as well.

So I obviously highly endorse buying from Amazon.

I would NOT endorse buying from a "grey market" dealer, which I consider to be a different situation, because you do not necessarily know whether the watch will come with serial numbers in tact and the other certification cards.

Inactive

somehow you missed what I wrote? amazon is gray market. gray market doesn't mean its missing serial numbers to be gray market. how do you think valid watches get into unauthorised dealers in the 1st place? this isn't a debate here or an opinion on where the watches come from. theres only 2 sources. the manufacture and an ad who had to buy alot of stock to keep the brand, so he sells off excess stock without the reference number card. if you think theres anyother way, well, your way off here. also back to the warranty from amazon. if your watch needs repair during there warranty period, theres a 99% risk that your not going to get the right parts. also you say you can get a refund? well maybe for the 1st 30 days if they'll let you. its your money, waste it any way you want to. I've been buying watches for 15 years. in that time I learned a few things. at best, a gray market seller will give you 30% off a tag or an omega. thats it. also no tax. but by asking the right questions on forums like this, guess what. there are ads out there who will give you 30% off, no tax and free overnight shipping and you get the signed warranty, stamped and dated. full manufacturer warranty. wow. so while plenty are getting gray market watches, I'm getting the same ones from ads with a real warranty, same price.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information