Can I wear my G-Shock/tool with my suit...?

Thread: Can I wear my G-Shock/tool with my suit...?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Question Can I wear my G-Shock/tool with my suit...?

Namely, to job interviews and career fairs and such.

I've been applying to a lot of jobs since I graduated. When I go on interview, I rock my dressier chrono. It looks sharp with the suit, and it definitely fits better with the ensemble. Here's the thing, though; 99.8% of the people I've interviewed with or spoken with at career fairs (they were also wearing suits) have been wearing some beat-up cheap timex digital, one dude was wearing a G. Half of them don't wear a watch. I've seen a few Rollies (ok, one), but nothing that really caught my eye.

So on to the question: These guys obviously don't have more than one watch, or, if they do, they don't wear their nicer watch often. They're engineers, so obviously they're practical in their choice. I'm wondering if they might notice my nice looking watch and think that I wouldn't want to get my hands dirty or something. Sort of like noticing someone's hands are soft and un-calloused and assuming they've never done a hard day's work.

SO! Should I strap one of my more tool watches when going on interviews for jobs where I'd be doing hands on dirty work? I'd feel like a little bit of a fool wearing my Riseman or Cavedweller in a suit. I'd totally do it, 'cause I love the tool watches, but I'd feel like a bit of a fool.

Example: I have an interview coming up for an R&D position at a company that makes fishfinders. The position involves testing, machining, and prototyping. You know, stuff I wouldn't do in a nice watch. So should I wear one of my tool watches? Should I wear the Mako as sort of a compromise? Or just rock the dressier watch knowing that no one is going to notice and I'm just being stupid?
    Last edited by Bleh; April 28th, 2010 at 15:03.
    | Precista PRS3 |Seiko PVD BFK | Casio Riseman | Wittau 7750 | 1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Marvin Handwind | Lyndon AutoChrono | 40's Movado Bumper | 60's Benrus Auto | Hamilton 4992B WWII Issued PW |
    They are alive, because they are the physical shape of the action of a living power—of the mind that had been able to grasp the whole of this complexity, to set its purpose, to give it form… they are alive, but their soul operates them by remote control. Their soul is in every man who has a capacity equal to this achievement. Should the soul vanish from the earth, the motors would stop because that is the force which keeps them going - not the oil ...- not the steel cylinders that would have become spots of rust on the walls of the caves of shivering savages- the power of a living mind, the power of thought and choice and purpose.

Re: Can I wear my G-Shock/tool with my suit...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bleh View Post
    The position involves testing, machining, and prototyping. You know, stuff I wouldn't do in a nice watch. Or just rock the dressier watch knowing that no one is going to notice and I'm just being stupid?
    But are you going to do all that kind of job in your sute?

However!!! Probably if you come in dirty roba in oil spots to your next interview saying I AM READY GUYS FOR THAT JOB RIGHT NOW - so who knows, may be that will do good impression.
    <hr /><a href=http://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/watch-through-lenses-chronicles-one-obsession-638371.html target=_blank>http://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wat...on-638371.html</a>

Wear what feels comfortable on your wrist and makes you confident. There is a 99.99% chance you will be the only one that notices your watch. If someone does notice... 99.99% chance they won't make the connection between your watch choice and the open position.

Best to you in your decision and interviews.

Blaine

Rock the dressier chrono.

Look, if they don't notice watches, they won't notice an IWC, if they do notice watches, extra points.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Wear the watch you feel comfortable wearing.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

If you are that concerned, wear no watch at all

Wear the nicer watch. I was in your position two years ago (also a mechanical engineer, graduated 2 years ago) and I borrowed nicer watches for career fairs and for interviews. Wear what makes you comfortable. FWIW, I work in a manufacturing environment and wear my Speedy Date every day. I try to be careful with it, but its getting its share of scratches after only a month. That doesn't really matter to me since it is my only nice watch and I plan to wear it every day no matter what for some time. Some people at work think I am crazy to do this there, but I didn't buy the watch to admire it in a case.
    Ω Omega Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    Ω Omega Seamaster Professional 300M 2254.50

Would you wear tennis shoes to an interview with Nike??

Wear the nice watch, get a fish tie (subtle!) for the fishfinder interview. Thal will get you noticed AND paint you as a guy that knows fishing.

Would you wear tennis shoes to an interview with Nike??

Wear the nice watch, get a fish tie (subtle!) for the fishfinder interview. Thal will get you noticed AND paint you as a guy that knows fishing.

v76

I think a classy vintage would be the nicest choice. But yeah, like many others I think you should wear what you're most comfortable with.
    Last edited by v76; April 28th, 2010 at 17:32.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information