Thread: Chronographs - does anyone else not like them?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Re: Chronographs - does anyone else not like them?

Well, just to balance things up a little here... I'd neither buy nor wear an analogue chronograph. I just fail to see the point. I can appreciate that they appeal to some guys with a gadget and/or dial fetish, but they do about as much for me as warm beer. I feel the same about day windows. Even a date window is pushing it a bit...

Chronographs?

I used to favor analog chronographs, but now that I've had a few, my taste has changed to prefer 3-hand dials or GMT function. I still like chronos but probably won't get another one anytime soon (unless I win the lotto or something) because:

1. They cost a lot more to service (mechanical only).
    2. I realized that I have never actually used the chonograph function, other than to play with it, in any chronograph watch I had in my life.
    3. I like big continous-seconds hands, and chronos either have small seconds or no seconds hand.

I think they look cool and I do like them, but due to these reasons I just admire pictures of them instead of looking to buy them.
    Current Collection (reverse order of acquisition):
    Tudor Black Bay(Red)|Halios Tropik B(grey)|BENARUS Moray 42 Chinese|Ocean7 LM-7 PVD|STOWA Antea KS|SEIKO GS SBGR051|G-Shock GS1050B|STEINHART Marine Chronometer II Roman|G-Shock GW7900RD-4|SEIKO SDGA001 EPD|BENARUS Moray 2 (brown dart)|G-Shock Dee & Ricky GA110DR-1A|OFFICINE PANERAI PAM312|BALL Engineer Master II DLC (blue accent)|TAG HEUER Aquaracer Chronotimer (yellow)|BREITLING Airwolf (black, circa 2009)|BATHYS HAWAII AquaCulture Rose Ti PVD|BALIHA'I Ha'i-Q SS "Tahiti"|SEIKO Ananta Spring Drive GMT SNR021|HAMILTON Sunset (silver)|ORIENT CFA05002B PVD|BREITLING SuperOcean (circa 2007)|G-Shock Riseman GW9200-1|SEA-GULL M185SP|ORIS F1 Chrono '08

Although I appreciate a chrono, they arent really my cup of tea. I prefer a clean simple look.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeSeeker View Post
    I just love selective quote posters.
    I'm sorry but if you don't like selective quote poster....why then are you a selective quote posters? The original poster questioned if anyone else disliked Chronographs...the very first reply discussed the artistry involved in a watch, the next response questioned about Tourbillons and minute repeaters....I simply posted a bunch of photos of my Chronos because it is difficult for me to grasp the idea that someone who loves watches could dislike chronos, but apparently the original poster does exactly that. You didn't jump on us for straying from the original question, I suppose we could all simply answer "yes, I dislike Chronographs as well" or "no, I actually like chronographs....that would stay on target but probably would make for a somewhat uninteresting website.

The question of usefulness and durability and quartz vs mechanical seemed to find it's way into the discussion, and Xinx mentioned his preference for mechanical...then you accused him of being off topic and you talked about donkeys and supercars ? Many people strayed a little, but it was you who took it to a completely different level. Come on...I take it you like quartz and have a problem with people who believe they have no place in Horology....but maybe I'm wrong.....maybe I'm off topic.

Anyway...all the best my friend.

Rob
    Last edited by Donut; December 21st, 2009 at 22:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    The question of usefulness and durability and quartz vs mechanical seemed to find it's way into the discussion, and Xinx mentioned his preference for mechanical...then you accused him of being off topic and you talked about donkeys and supercars ? Many people strayed a little, but it was you who took it to a completely different level. Come on...I take it you like quartz and have a problem with people who believe they have no place in Horology....but maybe I'm wrong.....maybe I'm off topic.

Anyway...all the best my friend.

Rob
    Hi Rob.
    I like all watch movements equally, no problem with mechanicals nor quartz.
    I just thought it was a strange remark and a little provocative as in bringing a non stopping debate into the thread.
    No harm was meant from my side.
    Cheers.
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students...

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Have you counted the number of parts in a standard three hand day & date mechanical watch? Have you counted the number of components including those on the IC on a cheapo Casio multifunction solar watch? Do you have any practical experience that tells you that a mechanical movement is way too delicate? Or is that just your S.W.A.G.?
    Very good point!!! Depending on the mechanical movement it could have more parts than a Valjoux 7750. As long as you keep your watches on a good winder and keep them wound the lubricants will last a long time and not run off of the jewels from sitting idle for long periods of time.
    I also use the chronograph functions quite a bit for timing cooking, appointments and road trips. I can understand your point about a clean dial. There is a time and place for both. Because of the height of a Valjoux movement of 7.9mm verses the height of an ETA 2824 of 4.6mm the watch is going to be a lot thinner.
    This does not apply if it is a dive watch and it is over 200m of water resistance, it could be the same thickness. I have a three hand 1000 meter dive watch with an ETA 2824-2 movement and it is 18mm thick. Where as a 200m Valjoux 7750 dive watch is only 15mm thick and a 100m ETA 2824-2 is only 11mm thick. My Breitling Super Avenger 300m dive watch with the Valjoux 7750 is 18.6mm thick.
    I have 8 chronographs and 9 three hand watches. Out of the Chronometers one has an ETA 2892 with a Depraz module 2073 with 46 jewels another is an Omega manual wind Caliber 1861 Base Le'mania 1873 18 jewel and a Breitling with a B13 movement that was made from a a ETA Valjoux 7750 kit and another is a Valjoux V7751, 25 jewel and the other 5 have Valjoux 7750 with 25 jewels. Out of the 9 three hand watches three of them have the small second hand at the 6:00 or the 9:00 and the other 6 have the regular sweep second hand. Two of them are manual Unitas movements one is a 6497-2 and the other is a 6498-2, the other is a Ulysse Nadan with a UN26 movement with a base ETA 2892 with 28 jewels and it is heavily modified with the second hand at the 6:00 and a power reserve at the 12:00, and an Omega with a 2500 co-axial movement a 2834-2 and the other 5 have 2824-2 ETA movements in them.
    The average cost for a service on a non modified Valjoux 7750 vs a non modified ETA 2824-2 is going to be about 50% less just for the movement overhaul. That does not include the water tight testing for a 200m watch vs a 1000m watch and all the extra gaskets.
    I had a friend that just had the Tag Heuer Cal. 60 overhauled and it cost close to $600.00 where an Omega 3 hand 2500 co-axial movement cost about $800 to have it overhauled so it can cost more to have the three hand non chronograph overhauled than a some chronograph with a lot more complicated movements in it.
    I would not pay to overhaul a watch unless it is a Swiss in house movement or an ETA base movement.
    A Miyota 8216 automatic w/ 21 jewels or the Chinese movements that are in most of the Androids and a Sturhling Original watches or the CL888 movements that are starting to pop up in lesser expensive watches I would consider them a throw away items and not pay to have it serviced. You can buy a watch with those movement in it for Less than $200.00. The service would cost more than the movement.
    I know three jewelers that have all the parts for a non proprietary Valjoux movements and most of the ETA non proprietary movements. None of them have parts for Sellita movements.
    The one older gentleman that regulates my watches for free will only do ETA movements. He will not touch a Sellita or Miyota movement.
    This is a lot of information that really does not answer your question but it is something to consider with a three hand verses a chronograph movement in a watch.
    Breitling Super AvengerCOSC, Omega Seamaster COSC 300m Co-axial, Omega Speedmaster, Professional 3577.50 Moon to Mars,
    Ulysse Nardin COSC 263-33-3/92 Maxi Diver, Tag Heuer Aquagrap, Tag Heuer GMT World Timer.
    diverhttp://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/exinnix/watch%20on%20you%20wrsit/?action=view&current=all4-1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by GX9901 View Post
    I used to favor analog chronographs, but now that I've had a few, my taste has changed to prefer 3-hand dials or GMT function. I still like chronos but probably won't get another one anytime soon (unless I win the lotto or something) because:

1. They cost a lot more to service (mechanical only).
    2. I realized that I have never actually used the chonograph function, other than to play with it, in any chronograph watch I had in my life.
    3. I like big continous-seconds hands, and chronos either have small seconds or no seconds hand.

I think they look cool and I do like them, but due to these reasons I just admire pictures of them instead of looking to buy them.
    This captures it for me. I also found that chronographs aren't quite as legible on a quick glance--that stationary chronograph hand can look like the minute hand. I like the chonographs that have really thin or off-colored chronograph hands.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Have you counted the number of parts in a standard three hand day & date mechanical watch? Have you counted the number of components including those on the IC on a cheapo Casio multifunction solar watch? Do you have any practical experience that tells you that a mechanical movement is way too delicate? Or is that just your S.W.A.G.?
    Fair enough question. No, I admit I don't have that much knowledge of mechanical movements. It's just a feeling I had.

I would love to be proven wrong. To have my opinion changed.
    ShockMister

Related/tough watches:
    DW5600
    DW9052
    DW6900
    GW300
    G2900
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Citizen Diver (Eco)

Come to think of it, I have seen some that I liked. A guy I used to work with had a Seiko that I thought was really cool. It may have been a Grand Seiko, but I can't remember. It looked *somewhat* like the picture below. (The only thing I can remember was that it was all metal and had a white face.)

ShockMister

Related/tough watches:
    DW5600
    DW9052
    DW6900
    GW300
    G2900
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Citizen Diver (Eco)

As far as them being delicate, They are pretty robust, I was at the range shooting my 38 special with my Breitling Chronograph on by accident, I usually remove my watch. I fired over 75 rounds and the watch is fine. It is still running 1 second a day slow the same as the day I purchased it. This was part of your question about how delicate a mechanical watch is??? If I am off topic I will Ride my ass on the pavement and move on or was that a donkey on stones. WTF.
    Breitling Super AvengerCOSC, Omega Seamaster COSC 300m Co-axial, Omega Speedmaster, Professional 3577.50 Moon to Mars,
    Ulysse Nardin COSC 263-33-3/92 Maxi Diver, Tag Heuer Aquagrap, Tag Heuer GMT World Timer.
    diverhttp://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i74/exinnix/watch%20on%20you%20wrsit/?action=view&current=all4-1.jpg

Thread Information