Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Citizen? Bulova? Invicta? Seiko? What is the BESTof the BEST in the big brand 350-500 Range?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Re: Citizen? Bulova? Invicta? Seiko? What is the BESTof the BEST in the big brand 350-500 Range?

Quote Originally Posted by Formerguide View Post
    Sub $500 is a category with immense opportunities. Firstly, I would eliminate all of the "fake" brands with inflated MSRP's and horological claims. Not trying to start a war, answers can be found in numerous other threads, but brands like Invicta, Swiss Legend, Sturhling, etc... should be dismissed out of hand.

Tissot and Hamilton are fine brands, especially Hamilton. Both lower brand a of the Swatch group, both use ETA movements (some made specifically for those brands) quality throughout their collections at all price points. The Tissot PR516 Chrono may be right up your alley. Other than some Citizen Eco Drives, this is the only quartz piece left in my collection, but I really do like it, especially in the field. Sapphire, metal bracelet with hidden deployment, I think I paid like $375 new from an AD.

Can't go wrong with Seiko, though I am not as high as some of the fanboys are on this brand. Citizen Eco Drives are a lot of watch for the money, some Bulova autos are nice. Orient makes a fine watch, their autos are very competitive price wise, though I have switched out the bracelets/straps on every Orient I have.

Do your research, narrow what you like as far as tastes and usage, and you will be fine. Also, while metal bracelets are fine, don't equate bracelets with value necessarily. Some VERY nice watches come on straps, it is not a means of cost cutting, oftentimes it is simply style or function.

Good luck, let us know what you decide upon! FYI, below is a pic of my Tissot for reference if that helps, I think it may be a good choice for you.

Dan

OH yeah,Just what i was gonna say.Get the Tissot PRS 516,soooo nice
    Mike

Re: Citizen? Bulova? Invicta? Seiko? What is the BESTof the BEST in the big brand 350-500 Range?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeynd View Post
    OH yeah,Just what i was gonna say.Get the Tissot PRS 516,soooo nice
    That is a nice looking watch. Is the bracelet on that watch decent? I have a Tissot Classic Dream and I was very disappointed in the bracelet. I was probably expecting too much, but it is just so flimsy and cheap feeling.
    -Ed-

Quote Originally Posted by econdreras View Post
    I have a Tissot Classic Dream and I was very disappointed in the bracelet. I was probably expecting too much, but it is just so flimsy and cheap feeling.
    I don't understand why manufacturers don't provide a reasonably well-made, solid link bracelet these days.
    When you can readily buy an inexpensive, decent, solid, aftermarket ss bracelet, there's no real reason (absent purposeful differentiation of upper and lower tier models/brands) a manufacturer needs to do this.

A cheap-feeling bracelet can really ruin the experience of an otherwise nice watch.

In that price range, most of the Accutron bracelets are extremely nice, most are all solid link and great quality. Way better than most of the others listed above. Some of the Seiko's bracelets are not as good as others, but a used SARB would rock compared to the other options IMO.

C Ward also has good watches in that price range and a little more unique compared to the mass produced other lines.

Finally I agree with Formerguide, the Citizen Eco Drives are really well constructed watches for the price. I have a titanium Eco Drive, the 55H and for the last six months it runs dead on (+/-2 sec) no matter what, and has been easily as accurate as my expensive Swiss and German stuff. Really like that watch.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

That is a nice looking watch. Is the bracelet on that watch decent? I have a Tissot Classic Dream and I was very disappointed in the bracelet. I was probably expecting too much, but it is just so flimsy and cheap feeling.
    Bracelet is pretty decent, solid links, nice clasp, seems fine to me. I'm not super picky on metal bracelets, the way I am on leather straps, but the Tissot seemed right in line with others in that price range.

I really like that watch, it is my go-to "in the field" watch due to it's durability and toughness.

Dan
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

VSA have very nice bracelets and so far I havent had a bad one. I like the Precisionist, but I'll only get one if its properly discounted, there have also been reports of the crystal fogging up on the inside so thats something worth keeping in mind. I like Wenger, but their quality isnt quite upto VSA level and I'd pick VSA over wenger any day. Citizen is great but eco drive is kinda boring (read not automatic), but if you dont mind not having an auto, they are really reliable and make some nice watches. Seiko auto's as you move up in price point are real nice, but in general their case sizes tend to be on the smaller side. For under 500 bucks, Tissot, Hamilton are worth considering for 3 hand autos (you arent going to get an auto chrono unless you buy a swatch). No personal experience with C.Ward but they seem popular here. Also look at Orient, their stuff is priced well for the quality you get.

If you're playing in the 500 range, Tissot is the way to go.

I have a Tissot Le Locle with a black dial and Arabic numberals. It's polished SS with a bracelet and an ETA movement. It's my most reliable automatic, it's simple but has a strong presence, and it's small enough for a thin wrist like mine but big enough to work just as well on a bigger wrist. The Le Locle is just an all around good watch. My only problem is that is doesn't have lume, but I think that would take away the Le Locle's timeless and dressy feel.

Couldn't recommend it more. It's Swiss, it comes from a good and reliable company, has a time tested movement, and goes with anything.

Tissot also has some other great watches but I wouldn't want anything but the Le Locle.

"A man has to BE something; he has to matter." -- Hunter S. Thompson

If you want a chronograph under $500, it will be quartz.

-Ed-
    sent from my mobile device
    Not necessarily the case. Accutron 7750s have been known to be available at sub $500 prices, in which case I'd consider those, specifically the Gemini's, the best buy at $500. Of course, the price is not MSRP and not always available. Then again, the same could be said for any of these brands.

I also like Tissot, Hamilton, and VSA automatic offerings at $500.
    Last edited by Roller.959; March 7th, 2012 at 20:24.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

So I am pretty much sold on Tissot I think they are sick!!!

If you want quartz, the best way to go is Citizen (actually, at any price, but yes, below 500 as well). If you want mechanical, Orient.

I'm speaking as objectively as possible here. What designs you like best and so on, are of course, subjective and totally your call.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information