Citizen? Bulova? Invicta? Seiko? What is the BESTof the BEST in the big brand 350-500 Range?
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Citizen? Bulova? Invicta? Seiko? What is the BESTof the BEST in the big brand 350-500 Range?

-->
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Citizen? Bulova? Invicta? Seiko? What is the BESTof the BEST in the big brand 350-500 Range?

So what is the best buy for an avid watch buyer that wants quality and style in this price range? In my opinion, Seiko is hard to beat. Their watches look great and work great. They last forever. There are a millon different styles amd models. But somehow "Japanese Quartz Movement" is not all that exciting.

For my money, I go big or I go Swiss. I think the Bulova Precisonist line is pretty freakin cool, although they may be kinda big (Anyone have a review on the Champlain 96B131? As far as size and how it wears on anyone that isnt a giant?)

Wenger/Victorinox (are they the same company??) I like their stuff. I wore one for a 6 mth peiod, it was adequate in every way. Worked perfect, quality look...etc)

Tissot? Hamilton? I heard these are good names, I just dont know anything about them. I have seen some Tissots and they look awesome. Is the quality there as well?

And lastly, for the record. I have always kinda been under the impression that Invicta was kinda a phoney. A suckers watch, if you will. Ive seen numerous friends show them off and I have never been too impressed quality-wise.

SO....What is the best watch for under 500 bucks???

Re: Citizen? Bulova? Invicta? Seiko? What is the BESTof the BEST in the big brand 350-500 Range?

I would still probably suggest Seiko. Look at their non-quartz offerings and you'll be surprised. Their vintage divers and chronographs are timeless classics and look just as good as if they were designed and made yesterday. However...their 007/009 divers are icons in the dive watch world.

Bulova...owned by Citizen...so not really Swiss. I think their Accutron houses Swiss movements though.

Wenger/Victorinox...yes...VSA bought Wenger. Nice offerings...I've had a few in the past and really can't complain about them at all. Their quartz offerings are a pretty good value and can be found at less than $200.

Tissot and Hamilton...in my opinion they are both very good entry level Swiss watches. These companies have a lot of history behind them and are well regarded...you really won't hear anything bad about them. Look at the Tissot LeLocle...in my opinion one of the nicest dress watches in the affordable category. Same goes for the Hamilton Jazzmaster...nice entry level watch that you really can't go wrong with.

Invicta...you are right...might as well burn your money.

I will also suggest you look into Christopher Ward. I don't own one but have heard many good things about them around here.

Another suggestion I have is to look at the WRUW threads to get an idea of what style of watches you are drawn towards...this will eliminate the possibility of ending up with a bunch of watches that you "thought" you liked but as your tastes get more defined you realize that you don't.

I'm sure others will chime in but that's my 2c.

And welcome to the forum...you'll have fun here. We argue...drool...complain...and lust over watches...but you'll find that we're a pretty cool bunch.
    on-time, James A and DarkSysop like this.

Re: Citizen? Bulova? Invicta? Seiko? What is the BESTof the BEST in the big brand 350-500 Range?

I have no iddea why, but I am really tempted by the Bulova Precisonist series. No good?

Let the Invicta bashing begin!

-Ed-
    sent from my mobile device
    -Ed-

Quote Originally Posted by Jpres888 View Post
    I have no iddea why, but I am really tempted by the Bulova Precisonist series. No good?
    it's a nice watch, but non-sapphire crystal and too-short seconds hand are a bit of a bother. I owned one, did a review with video here:
    Bulova Precisionist Review - webWatchWorld

I'm waiting for them to come out with some "better" (classic) designs and I'd buy another.

But here's my current pick in your criteria/price range:

Name:  bj7065-06e.jpg
Views: 72270
Size:  46.4 KB
    Stellite likes this.

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

Ehhh... Its OK but in this price range I think I would want a stainless braclet. Im kinda partial to chronographs too, for no other reason other than they look really cool. I work in downtown Atlanta, my biggest customers being lawyers. So I guess Im looking for a little bling as well... But Subtle bling. Quality bling.

If you want a chronograph under $500, it will be quartz.

-Ed-
    sent from my mobile device
    rfortson likes this.
    -Ed-

The Seiko SARBs are the kings of that price point, although I'd also recommend buying used, which opens up the range of possibilities. Used is also the only way you'll find a mechanical chrono for under $500.

I'd also check out Christopher Ward.

I'm sorry, but I find the Precisionists ugly. Great watches from a technical point of view. But ugly.

Sub $500 is a category with immense opportunities. Firstly, I would eliminate all of the "fake" brands with inflated MSRP's and horological claims. Not trying to start a war, answers can be found in numerous other threads, but brands like Invicta, Swiss Legend, Sturhling, etc... should be dismissed out of hand.

Tissot and Hamilton are fine brands, especially Hamilton. Both lower brand a of the Swatch group, both use ETA movements (some made specifically for those brands) quality throughout their collections at all price points. The Tissot PR516 Chrono may be right up your alley. Other than some Citizen Eco Drives, this is the only quartz piece left in my collection, but I really do like it, especially in the field. Sapphire, metal bracelet with hidden deployment, I think I paid like $375 new from an AD.

Can't go wrong with Seiko, though I am not as high as some of the fanboys are on this brand. Citizen Eco Drives are a lot of watch for the money, some Bulova autos are nice. Orient makes a fine watch, their autos are very competitive price wise, though I have switched out the bracelets/straps on every Orient I have.

Do your research, narrow what you like as far as tastes and usage, and you will be fine. Also, while metal bracelets are fine, don't equate bracelets with value necessarily. Some VERY nice watches come on straps, it is not a means of cost cutting, oftentimes it is simply style or function.

Good luck, let us know what you decide upon! FYI, below is a pic of my Tissot for reference if that helps, I think it may be a good choice for you.

Dan

Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

I like my Tissot Visodate though it looks like you're looking for something less subtle. Tissot, Hamilton or Seiko - can't go wrong. I think they're a cut above Invicta.
    Nomos Orion Datum, TAG Carrera, Tissot Visodate, 2012 & 2013 WUS CMW Forum Watch, f71 2013 Forum Watch, 1976 Seiko Bell-Matic

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information