Cobra de Calibre Review
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Cobra de Calibre Review

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Cobra de Calibre Review

*all pictures taken by iphone. Thats all i have dont expect super hd stuff. I like watches not cameras and i dont need another expensive hobby*

Im sure a few of you WUS frequenters have seen or heard of this watch before. But for those not in the know its a new micro brand started by john on kickstarter. Very successful funding campaign and luckily i live in the same city as john so i got the first one :D so lots of people were on the fence or had some questions. So i decided to do a review.

So first off the packaging. I received the watch in a cobra logo'd travel case. Functional and in my opinion better than a useless presentation box. At the affordable range that we're talking about a presentation box wouldnt be that much impressive anyways. Also im sure many users here will echo me in saying that we have too many of these boxes lying around anyways. Had a strap removal screw driver inside. Warranty card and the extra strap that backers receive, john told me would be arriving shortly. So all in all its a nice box to have and can be great for bringing an extra watch on trips. I put my tudor black bay in there on the drive home.

*the strap is already switched and not the one it came with*

Now this brings me to the strap. 22mm lugs so pretty normal and easy to get straps for. This may be the only bit of gripe i have for this watch. Its a black leather strap with a pre V buckle. It just... Leaves a bit to be desired. Maybe i havent worn it in yet so the leather will loosen but its a bit hard. Also the top coat, while it has a nice even dark black color feels a bit unnatural and not leather-y. The bottom of the strap is comfy though. John said the alligator ones he got us backers are much better so im not worried. This is just a personal preference but i hate pre V buckles. Theyre large and so awkward to take off. You have to wrench the watch strap so much further in the other angle im always afraid itll break the springbars. No matter though i just popped mine on a nice black C&B strap and im peachy. The drilled lugs and screwed in bars are also a nice touch. Never had these before but now that ive experienced it, its amazing. So much easier than fidgeting with a strap changing tool. Trying to scootch the strap away from the lug to get a nice grip on the springbars shoulder is a pain. Always the fear of slipping too. I always stab my fingers. But thats less pain than stabbing the watch and scratching it.

Now to the watch. Miyota 9015. Sapphire crystal with AR coating on front and sapphire caseback. 300m of water resistance. Ceramic dial and super luminova. All in all pretty good for less than 389 dollars canadian (which to my constant dismay is much less than 389usd).
    Played around with it and the crown screws in quite nicely. Just enough resistance during the screwing that you know youre doing the right thing. But not too much that it freaks you out and you think youre forcing it. Hacks and winds quite nicely, as expected of the 9015. 28000 beat rate also nice. I always think see through casebacks on automatics are pointless, unless its high end. The rotor just blocks everything. Stuff like zenith where they have hollow or very decorated movements are nice. This is an affordable with a miyota so you cant expect that. But i was pleasantly surprised with an engraved rotor and maybe its a bit hard to discern from my iphone pics but the edge of the rotor is a really nice shimmery look. Imagine a pile of silver dust.

*the marks on the caseback is wrist sweat. I happens to all of us dont even deny it*

The dial was one thing that was quite controversial on here. Lots of people didnt like the logo. Or they thought the logo was too big. Or they didnt like the logo and thought it was also too big. Me, personally isnt really bothered by it. Most of my other watches have far busier dials and i like a little bit of animated design. Besides the dial markings are raised and trimmed with polished silver metal. The hands have matching trim. The dial itself is ceramic and vertically lined. So from a side or angled profile you dont really noticed the logo considering everything else is so three dimensional and the logo is just painted. The writing on the dial is in a more angular aggressive font too. I like the personality and style. Not just any average times new roman font.

The lume is quite good on this. The picture below is from 10 seconds and taken with an iphone without any altered shutter times.

The hands are pretty cool. I like the counterweight on the second hand. I always like seeing that. Its a nice bit of detail that many higher tiered brands forgo. Which i think is a shame. The hour hand doesnt touch the hour markers though. For some people this is an issue but i think since the dial is so large and the hour indicators so far away, for them to actually touch itll throw off the sleek design. Besides i think right now the minute hand and hour hand has a good balance of size.

The case details i really like. Especially the finer polished details. What really caught my eye was the level of polish on the raised bezel. There are three levels to the bezel. The side that is vertical that gives it its height, the top falt level that is beside the sapphire crystal. And the slanted bit in between the two. The top and side is both brushed while the middle slanted bit is mirror polished. I really like this. It really breaks up the two and gives it a more 3D feel. Also it emphasizes the raised bezel which is nice. The crown is mirror polished while the rest of the watch is brushed. The mirror polish on the crown and raised bezel really accentuates the two and i love it. The entire brushed case also keeps away the swirlies which is a definite plus.

The watch is also really comfy. I have a 8 inch wrist. I dont go to the gym as often as i should and thus i have developed a nice portly exterior. I assure all the ladies out there that under this soft exterior...... Theres probably another softer layer. But i digress. What im getting at is i have very round wrists. The shorter and curved lugs fit my wrists very well. Also the stubby lugs really give it that sporty look. Quite fitting for a 300m dive watch with a cushion case.

So all in all im really loving my purchase. Its alot of watch for the money and well worth the wait. The microbrand market is getting larger and larger. However, this one is pretty unique and not a direct homage of anything. Has plenty of perks and goodys that came with the watch like cufflinks. For all of you guys ragging on the logo, the finish product isnt that bad or intrusive. And for all you guys on the fence i say yes its definitely a great purchase. Im a serial flipper(always have two or three watches in transit kinda guy) but this one i think will stay in my collection for a long long time.

Thanks for the read! :)
    Ill be updating as i go along. Timing of the watch and thoughts as i wear it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LV Hulk, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic 116710BLNR Batman, Rolex TT Datejust, Rolex Milgauss 116400GV ZBlue, Tudor Black Bay, Tudor Hydronaut I, Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Seiko SKX009

Re: Cobra de Calibre Review

Love the case, love the dial, love the logo, love the lume. However the engineering student lying dormant in me wants to improve the typographical style of the text -- but that's already a minor thing. I didn't back it because I'm watch fasting and hoping hard there's a second iteration of this watch
    davidtsee and FrakkenPrawn like this.
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Content

I like the text. Its really stylish and bold. But if its not your style john said he'll be releasing dials soon so you can change it.

When spoke to john today and he mentioned the second might be a toolish diver. So the next itineration wont be this design that you like

Rolex Submariner Ceramic 116610LV Hulk, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic 116710BLNR Batman, Rolex TT Datejust, Rolex Milgauss 116400GV ZBlue, Tudor Black Bay, Tudor Hydronaut I, Tudor Pelagos, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Seiko SKX009

Inactive

I love that this watch comes both with and without date.

I love that the case and graphics on the dial make such a good match.

I love that the watch doesn't make me think of any other watch (tradtional designs with modern twists is a trope you see too often on kickstarter)

This lanky guy wishes there was a version about 6mm smaller but recognises that this kind of design is going to be appealing mostly to a 42mm crowd.

Great price for a 9015

ps thanks for the candid bs-free review!
    Last edited by Der Amf; April 24th, 2014 at 10:37.
    FrakkenPrawn likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I love that this watch comes both with and without date.

I love that the case and graphics on the dial make such a good match.

I love that the watch doesn't make me think of any other watch (tradtional designs with modern twists is a trope you see too often on kickstarter)

This lanky guy wishes there was a version about 6mm smaller but recognises that this kind of design is going to be appealing mostly to a 42mm crowd.

Great price for a 9015

ps thanks for the candid bs-free review!
    Yea i chose the no date. Much cleaner dial design i think.

I think itll fit you well though. The lugs are very short as you can see. And the angular design of the cushion case is great for lankier guys haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JohnnyBaldJunior and metamus like this.

I really, really, really like the look and style of this watch. It's got a nicely nuanced case, with a cool crownguard. The dial, the large logo, and the hand styling really fit well together and make a complete "package" - no element is out of place, imo, which in and of itself is amazing. And, yeah, the logo is big - but that's, imo, the very point of this watch. The logo is a crucial element here, to tie all the visual elements together...

Really, I'd just wish for two things - 1) that I had more money, and 2) that this was a wee bit smaller. This watch is firmly out of my price range for now, but.. It's very, very, very high on the desirability scale for me.

P.S. I think I like the dials with date cutouts a bit more, though!
    wat

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    I really, really, really like the look and style of this watch. It's got a nicely nuanced case, with a cool crownguard. The dial, the large logo, and the hand styling really fit well together and make a complete "package" - no element is out of place, imo, which in and of itself is amazing. And, yeah, the logo is big - but that's, imo, the very point of this watch. The logo is a crucial element here, to tie all the visual elements together...

Really, I'd just wish for two things - 1) that I had more money, and 2) that this was a wee bit smaller. This watch is firmly out of my price range for now, but.. It's very, very, very high on the desirability scale for me.

P.S. I think I like the dials with date cutouts a bit more, though!
    Youre right, all the bold styling elements just come together in one package for this watch. The "not quite" broad arrow hands. The logo, cushion case, everything comes together and matches eachother quite well.

I think theres a discount on touch of modern? Im not sure how that works.. It might have been just for that one day. But yea great value in my opinion. Ive had a few sub 500 dollar micros before and none has me as happy as this one

metamus likes this.

Thanks for doing this great review. I agree, the default strap looks like a vinyl piece. Guess I'll live vicariously through your review until Canada Post does its stuff.

Thanks for the great review. This is the first crowdfunding micro brand I backed, for all the reasons mentioned here. I love the case, love the dial and LOVE the logo (I like dragons) plus John seems like a great guy. He was very attentive and responded very fast to my emails.

I got the no date dial not only because IMO looks sleeker, but John told me he will be selling extra dials in the future.

Now the painful wait...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Der Amf likes this.

Great review, love the watch and can't wait for mine!
    Der Amf likes this.
    Current Collection:
    Seiko SARB017, Cobra de Calibre, Pobeda (Skeleton Dial), ~91 Komandirskie (Helicopter Dial), Melbourne Hawthorne, Lew & Huey White Acionna, Lew & Huey Orange Spectre, Swatch Irony

Incoming:
    Helgray GMT, HMT Badass Unicorn, Lew & Huey Legends x1, Lew & Huey Blue Cerberus, CMWF '14 GMT

Eyeballing:
    Makara Hawksbill Sea Turtle Red, Lew & Huey Legends x1, Lew & Huey Orthos Red

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information