crown feels tight to wind first thing in the morning

Thread: crown feels tight to wind first thing in the morning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello all! I am new to this community, and this is my first post. I just purchased a Tag Heuer Aquaracer Caliber 5 (wan2111), and I am in love!

It is my first nice watch, and I'm probably being overly careful... but I tried giving it a little wind this morning and found the crown already had quite a bit of tension on the spring... after 8 hrs sitting on my dresser. does this seem normal? I'm not too concerned, because I read that they can not really be overwound. but I'm just curious and would love some feedback.

and as a second question... do I ever really have to wind it at all? I will be wearing this watch every day, so it will never sit still for more than 9hrs while I'm sleeping, and take it off. But I have seen a few posts that say you should manually wind it once in a while anyway, just to keep the oil on that part of the mechanism flowing... does that sound like overkill?

thanks for the knowledge!! :)

No need to ever manually wind unless the movement has stopped from disuse and you want to get it going to set the time.

If you wear this watch daily, then after a few days of wearing it should be fully wound and be able to continue running off wrist for 30-40 hours.

Inactive

Re: crown feels tight to wind first thing in the morning

Quote Originally Posted by Coach McGuirque
    hnpad quite a bit of tension on the spring... after 8 hrs sitting on my dresser. does this seem normal? I'm not too concerned, because I read that they can not really be overwound. but I'm just curious and would love some feedback.
    Imagine you've got it to near full wind by wearing it all day, then you sleep for 8 hours... then also imagine this watch will have something like ~40 hours reserve (typical figure) ... then after 8 hours rest it'll have ~36 hours reserve left so YES its bound to have some tension present... you've only depleted it by 8 hours of inactivity

Do I ever even have to wind it at all :)
    If it gives you pleasure or some release (pardon the pun) then do it, but you don't *have to
    Last edited by watchma; September 1st, 2012 at 17:16.

Hello all! I am new to this community, and this is my first post. I just purchased a Tag Heuer Aquaracer Caliber 5 (wan2111), and I am in love!

It is my first nice watch, and I'm probably being overly careful... but I tried giving it a little wind this morning and found the crown already had quite a bit of tension on the spring... after 8 hrs sitting on my dresser. does this seem normal? I'm not too concerned, because I read that they can not really be overwound. but I'm just curious and would love some feedback.

and as a second question... do I ever really have to wind it at all? I will be wearing this watch every day, so it will never sit still for more than 9hrs while I'm sleeping, and take it off. But I have seen a few posts that say you should manually wind it once in a while anyway, just to keep the oil on that part of the mechanism flowing... does that sound like overkill?

thanks for the knowledge!! :)

Hi and welcome to WUS! Did you wind it fully yesterday as well? If so it is probably still well wound. Otherwise you may be feeling a bit of tightness from the crown seal. I would suggest that if you are wearing the watch daily that there is no need for any handwinding. The winding rotor in automatic watches is really very efficient and should keep your watch wound.

Post a picture of your new Tag when you get a chance.
    Last edited by John MS; September 1st, 2012 at 17:49.

And to ease your worries, automatics are built with a clutch that slips if you wind the watch when it is already fully wound so there is no chance of overwinding an automatic.
    Current: Seiko 5 SNGZ71, Seiko SKX007, G-Shock G9000-1V

Grail: Omega SMP 300 or Planet Ocean Orange Bezel

Admitted Seiko fan!

Speaking of tight crowns,
    I took out to wear the other day a watch I had not worn in a year or so (I have a big collection), and noticed the crown had become much tighter than before to wind. I mean, really tight.
    It also took a bit of a fight to get it loosened from it's locked position. I suppose some micro grit got in and "fossilized" in there from not being disturbed.

What's the remedy? Oil?
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Hazards of a big collection!! Did it loosen up? Probably a seal that has hardened over time or less likely it could be screwdown threads that have stripped a bit. I would have it serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Hazards of a big collection!! Did it loosen up? Probably a seal that has hardened over time or less likely it could be screwdown threads that have stripped a bit. I would have it serviced.
    Thanks John MS.
    Possibly the former, but not the latter: the threads are intact.
    It was always a bit stiff this watch, it's just MORE stiff now.
    It's been 4-5 years since I bought it, so yeah, maybe time to have it looked at.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Two threads merged.
    I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information