Definitely maybe: Apple working on curved glass iOS wristwatch
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Definitely maybe: Apple working on curved glass iOS wristwatch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Picture Definitely maybe: Apple working on curved glass iOS wristwatch

It’s all under wraps, those in a position to know say they don't know, but nonetheless it seems that Apple may be developing a curved glass iOS wristwatch, making decades old science fiction become reality.

They have the technology. Well at least Corning glassware certainly does. Following the successful introduction of Gorilla Glass for the iPhones, they have now developed a bendable glass product known as Willow Glass. This highly flexible glass can be bent at will without shattering, and the company's chief technology officer Pete Bocko even went so far as to spell out the kind of application this could have: "if I tried to make something that looked like a watch, that could be done using this flexible glass," he said.

Now there’s a big give away.

If produced, the iWatch would run on the same iOS platform as iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. If the company does release such a product, what would it look like? Would it include Siri, the voice assistant? Would it have a version of Apple’s map software, offering real-time directions to people walking down the street? Could it receive text messages? Could it monitor a user’s health or daily activity? And how much will it cost?

To add fuel to the fire at the prospect of an Apple iWatch, late last year the Chinese gadget site Tech.163 reported that the company had begun development of a watch featuring Bluetooth and a 1.5-inch display.

Forrester smartphones analyst Sarah Rotman Epps said “Apple’s certainly made a lot of hiring in that area. Over the long term wearable computing is inevitable for Apple; devices are diversifying and the human body is a rich canvas for the computer. But I’m not sure how close we are to a new piece of Apple hardware that is worn on the body.”

Incidentally, the device pictured is not a prototype of the watch; it’s a wearable iPhone 5 with curved glass designed by Federico Ciccarese, who designed the iPad mini.

Meanwhile, as for the Apple iOS watch, well, only time will tell.
    Best regards,

Ernie Romers
    Founder and former site owner, Hidden Content

Re: Definitely maybe: Apple working on curved glass iOS wristwatch

As for cost, it's certainly going to illustrate the wildly dichotomous viewpoints between regular folks and WIS as to what constitutes an "expensive" wrist watch. Most likely they'll see it as pricy, while we'll see it as cheap...

Definitely maybe: Apple working on curved glass iOS wristwatch

Looks like someTHING that crawled out of someone's stomach ;)
    My current very humble watch 'collection' :

Damasko DA46

An iWatch would be something that might be nice for some, or at the gym perhaps, but for WIS types; it will not replace that mechanical wonder watch we all love.
    burnsbrightest likes this.

Okay, I'll say it. If it runs the kind of applications that my iPhone can....this is going to be amazing. It is science fiction becoming reality.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Hamilton Pan Europ|Breitling B-1|Tudor Black Bay|Ranger|Rolex Submariner

A man's watch is a very cherished thing. You steal that, you might as well be stealing his soul.

I'm not interested, but I think they will make it and it will have a nice niche market. My guess is that it will sync with your iPhone via bluetooth and function more as a go between for your phone so you can leave your phone in your pocket.

I'll buy one if it has got an in house mechanical movement.

Baseless speculation from market manipulators. Same reason the stock is down to 500 now - people stand to make money from rumors and BS.

Silly prototype from someone who has absolutely zero clue how to design something people would actually conceivably wear. Poor kid got soaked for an expensive design degree but didn't come out of it any smarter.
    watchma likes this.
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

Quote Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
    I'm not interested, but I think they will make it and it will have a nice niche market. My guess is that it will sync with your iPhone via bluetooth and function more as a go between for your phone so you can leave your phone in your pocket.
    Thats exactly what I was thinking, it would make sense if they did that. It would be a bust though, watch enthusiasts wouldn't be caught dead wearing one, and normal people would see it as a gimmick. Bad idea, if u are reading this Apple, scrap it before you waste too much money on it.

From the corporate standpoint, I think the best approach would be to make the iPod Nano or Shuffle (+ a screen obviously) range ridiculously thin and small and then offer their in house watch kit for it. So they wouldn't be making an "iWatch" but they'd be making something that would serve that function well if people want to spend an extra $40 and get the strap/case for it. We saw that this worked previously, and unintentionally, so if they just keep this design goal in mind on their next redesign of the smaller ipods they could get the iWatch as just a tangential benefit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information