Dive Watches and Tuxedos

Thread: Dive Watches and Tuxedos

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Dive Watches and Tuxedos

Perhaps this has been addressed before but it has been troubling me as I head out to this year’s round of seasonal black tie events. I have always considered it appropriate to wear a slimmer, plain watch (no date function etc.) to formal events when wearing a dinner jacket/tuxedo and French cuffs. Yet I see folks wearing garish hunks of metal that seem better suited to a Navy SEAL mission. Is it because the media portrays characters like James Bond wearing dive watches with tuxedos?

Re: Dive Watches and Tuxedos

Not a popular brand among collectors, but I think a Movado museum dial on a shiny exotic strap would seem perfect for a tuxedo.

Ω Aqua Terra 2502.33 Ω Seamaster Pro 2220.80 Ω GMT 2234.50 Ω Planet Ocean 2208.50
    TAG Heuer Formula 1, Link Chrono - Tissot Seastar 1000 - Zodiac Oceanaire - Oris TT1 300m Titan - Rolex Air King - Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish - Seiko Monster.

Nobody cares what watch you wear as they haven't even noticed it. They will look you up and down, decide if your hot or an uggo, look your partner up and down, make the same judgement, and that's it. You coud wear a Miffy and 99% of all party people would be completely oblivious.

Go on - I dare ya!!!
    Meine Bratwurst has a first name,
    It's F-R-I-T-Z,
    Meine Bratwurst has a second name,
    It's S-C-H-N-A-C-K-E-N-P-F-E-F-F-E-R-H-A-U-S-E-N

Quote Originally Posted by AJ54 View Post
    Perhaps this has been addressed before but it has been troubling me as I head out to this year’s round of seasonal black tie events. I have always considered it appropriate to wear a slimmer, plain watch (no date function etc.) to formal events when wearing a dinner jacket/tuxedo and French cuffs. Yet I see folks wearing garish hunks of metal that seem better suited to a Navy SEAL mission. Is it because the media portrays characters like James Bond wearing dive watches with tuxedos?
    Even though I don't follow this myself, one should never wear any timepiece to a black tie event. To be concerned with the time would detract from the event itself, and blah blah blah. That is the traditionalist approach.

"modern traditionalist" would just wear a simple dial, slim watch with black leather strap in order to compliment the tux and slide easily under the sleeve.

It's rare I see anyone in a tux with a watch larger than a Submariner. I would have no idea why you would - it would look bad and wouldn't work with the french cuffs.

~Ross

As a follow up -- I wear this with my tux (although I wish I had a similarly nice black dial watch):

Looks kind of like this under french cuff shirts:

i am a neo traditionalist so i wear the museum automatic

Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Alberta / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
    It's rare I see anyone in a tux with a watch larger than a Submariner. I would have no idea why you would - it would look bad and wouldn't work with the french cuffs.

~Ross
    I buy into this. It's not so much, in my mind, wearing an 'appropriate watch' for a black tie event, as it is wearing a watch that comfortably works with what you have on.

Something like a DOXA 5000T simply won't work with French Cuffs. Most chunky divers won't. If you try to wear it with them it'll look a little silly.

That said, I see nothing inherently wrong about wearing a slim diver - like a Submariner, a Seamaster or an Aquaracer to a black tie affair.
    Daily Rotation:
    Tudor Black Bay; Rolex Air King; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Suunto Ambit 2; Tissot PRS200

Strictly Diving:
    Seiko SKX013K1 Diver's 200M; Shearwater Research Predator

I have always considered it appropriate to wear a slimmer, plain watch (no date function etc.) to formal events when wearing a dinner jacket/tuxedo and French cuffs. Yet I see folks wearing garish hunks of metal that seem better suited to a Navy SEAL mission. Is it because the media portrays characters like James Bond wearing dive watches with tuxedos?
    The strictest and most traditional of style police would actually say that no wristwatch is appropriate with a tux, and that only a pocket watch will do. But that strikes me as a bit stuffy and outdated. Certainly you cannot go wrong with a simple, modest dress watch (gold or stainless) on a strap, so your view of what is appropriate strikes me as, well, appropriate.

IMHO, any dive watch (or for that matter, any metal bracelet watch) with a tuxedo is a faux pas. James Bond can pull it off, sure, but none of us are James Bond. But I suspect the reason you see so many big sport watches with tuxes these days has more to do with the fact that those are the most popular watches right now, not so much because everyone thinks they are James Bond.

beshannon

I have worn my Sub and felt it was fine although a watch on a strap would likely look better

If Bond can do it, so can I! I agree with Jason. 99% of the people will not even notice what watch you are wearing. French Cuffs or Regular - I see no problem with a diver for Formal wear. Although for a Tux my first choice would probably be my Omega AT or Ball Cleveland Express

D.DORNBLUTH & SOHN
    Kalbe i/S.A.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information