Early 1990's Fossil (vintage/period watches)
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Early 1990's Fossil (vintage/period watches)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Early 1990's Fossil (vintage/period watches)

Does anyone still have an early Fossil watch that they have kept? I can remember a lot of them were gold cased with leather bands. Some of them had a "faux skeleton" inlay covering an opening in the dial, over a quartz movement. Others were designed like vintage style dials.

They were used in period movies at the time (set in 1960's - early 1970's). Wonder Years was one show that featured them.

I think there is also one worn by Donald Moffat in the 1992 film "HouseSitter" starring Steve Martin and Goldie Hawn. He was an older "grandfatherly" character who wore old, traditional American clothing. It was a contemporary film, but the Fossil sort of fit with his old fashioned style.

The first season of MTV Real World (1992) also featured a cast member who wore one, I believe.

If anyone has any, I would like to see pictures. Or, just any thoughts or memories about them. Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by ShockMister; November 14th, 2011 at 03:10.
    ShockMister

Related/tough watches:
    DW5600
    DW9052
    DW6900
    GW300
    G2900
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Citizen Diver (Eco)

Re: Early 1990's Fossil (vintage/period watches)

I think this is a rather sad looking example of what you're referring to. I wore it for years before becoming interested in watches in a big way, and it now sits rejected in my 'junk watch' drawer. I just can't bring myself to throw a watch in the bin, no matter how banged up or broken..lol
    The case is brass, which looks nice when polished, but quickly becomes tarnished again.

Chronopolis likes this.
    CITIZEN OMEGA (2) SEIKO (2) LUM-TEC ORIS SINN

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    I think this is a rather sad looking example of what you're referring to. I wore it for years before becoming interested in watches in a big way, and it now sits rejected in my 'junk watch' drawer. I just can't bring myself to throw a watch in the bin, no matter how banged up or broken..lol
    The case is brass, which looks nice when polished, but quickly becomes tarnished again.

Very interesting. I had not seen one in a long time. Thanks for the picture.
    ShockMister

Related/tough watches:
    DW5600
    DW9052
    DW6900
    GW300
    G2900
    Seiko Orange Monster
    Citizen Diver (Eco)

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post

Wow. They called it a fossil, and now it is one.
    Chronopolis and GlennO like this.
    Profile pending moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Monocle View Post
    Wow. They called it a fossil, and now it is one.
    Or a lot of patina.........LOL!

John MS,

In the old days when brass was extensively used for instruments, they lacquer them to keep the gloss, and if done properly it can be quite hard-wearing too. But then, TiN plating should give it a new look if you can get it done at a moderate cost.

Here is my 10 year old fossil.

Case is brass with a stainless like plating which is worn off in the back in scoops. It still works after each battery change. I occasionally throw it on to bring back memories..

Sent from my motorola atrix 4g via tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    John MS,

In the old days when brass was extensively used for instruments, they lacquer them to keep the gloss, and if done properly it can be quite hard-wearing too. But then, TiN plating should give it a new look if you can get it done at a moderate cost.
    And on older black metal bodied cameras it was a badge of an experienced shutter bug to have a lot of brass wear through! However, I don't think replating an aging Fossil would be a wise use of money. For one thing you would have a bright shiny case alongside an aging strap, dial, hands and crystal. Just leave it as is or look for one in beter condition.

I protest anything made in the 1990s being called vintage. ...getting sensitive in my old age...

I had that exact same watch until around Easter this year. I gave it to my brother since my collection was growing and it didn't get worn much. Anyway, he somehow killed it in less than a month. Don't know how he did it, but truthfully I was a little upset. I liked not having to mess with a date when setting the time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information