Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Are Ellesse watches good quality?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Question Are Ellesse watches good quality?

Hello everyone and thank for the opportunity to talk with fellow watch aficionados. Are Ellesse watches good quality and can anyone give me some background information on them (i.e. movement, etc.)? Thanks in advance.

Doug

stuffler,mike

Re: Are Ellesse watches good quality?

Just one of thousands fashion brands with sporty image and quartz movements. Nothing but average. Good ? Who knows. Can't recall a post here on WUS re Ellesse. Probably like Lacoste, Puma, Addidas and that kind of stuff. Not what I would call a collector's item though.

Probably not. Ellesse is a tennis clothing company for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by elsancudo View Post
    Hello everyone and thank for the opportunity to talk with fellow watch aficionados. Are Ellesse watches good quality and can anyone give me some background information on them (i.e. movement, etc.)? Thanks in advance.

Doug
    The movement will vary model to model. Some at least use Ronda movements, which can be very good. The truth is that it's hard to buy a bad quartz watch - a $25 Casio or Lorus from ebay will be more accurate than a Rolex and last a decade. There's no great art to buying a quartz movement and putting it into a hollowed out piece of steel.

Otoh I wouldn't expect that Ellesse (or a Tag Heur for that matter) to perform significantly better than a cheaper quartz either.

Banned

As Mike said, sporty look, quartz movements.
    IMO, not a real sports watch, can not take any activity, wet enviroment. Simple standard lower end movements.
    Look elsewhere.

No worse than any other fashion vendor, I would imagine.

Banned

No. Also probably made in a factory where a lot of other makes are being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    As Mike said, sporty look, quartz movements.
    IMO, not a real sports watch, can not take any activity, wet enviroment. Simple standard lower end movements.
    Look elsewhere.
    1. Wrong. Different Ellesse models have different depth ratings. Some are rated for 200m. (I know, because I took 5 seconds to google before posting.)

2. Did the guy say that he needed a diver??? I might as well tell someone interested in a Rolex that he should buy a G Shock instead, because of the much better shock resistance for extreme sports. It's irrelevant - the guy hasn't said that he intends to use the watch for diving. Give him credit for the intelligence to mention something like this if he needs it!

3. Even a standard low end quartz analog will take more shock than a mech watch. The only way to go tougher is to go for an digital watch, or one of the special Casio analogs in the G or Oceanus series. Military models like the G10 use $7 quartz movements and survive infantry combat, let alone tennis playing.

This is typical of advice that often gets handed out here - it amounts to "Whatever your needs or tastes, buy a watch like mine and validate me!"
    Last edited by scuttle; March 3rd, 2009 at 16:31.

Quote Originally Posted by scuttle View Post
    1. Wrong. Different Ellesse models have different depth ratings. Some are rated for 200m. (I know, because I took 5 seconds to google before posting.)

2. Did the guy say that he needed a diver??? I might as well tell someone interested in a Rolex that he should buy a G Shock instead, because of the much better shock resistance for extreme sports. It's irrelevant - the guy hasn't said that he intends to use the watch for diving. Give him credit for the intelligence to mention something like this if he needs it!

3. Even a standard low end quartz analog will take more shock than a mech watch. The only way to go tougher is to go for an digital watch, or one of the special Casio analogs in the G or Oceanus series. Military models like the G10 use $7 quartz movements and survive infantry combat, let alone tennis playing.

This is typical of advice that often gets handed out here - it amounts to "Whatever your needs or tastes, buy a watch like mine and validate me!"

Did your wife kick you out last night? Why so angry? My point was that Ellesse is a tennis company and he may want to look elsewhere for a watch-maybe from a watch company. That's all. I did not mention my watches nor did anyone else. If you ask a question on these forums, you are going to get opinions. Now, back to your deep breathing exercises.

Banned

IMO = In My Opinion
    If you do not like other posters personal opinions, maybe you should stop reading them? But it might be a bit boring, or?

The OP did not say he did not need a Diver!

Yes, Quartzes are tough. Just like a well designed tuning fork, or even a mechanical one!
    My own tuning fork went through Mountain Ranger training. It survived, just like my fellow comrades' Rolexes, Tudors etc etc. Most had mechanical movements.

And yes, all WIS should have a collection like mine!
    Last edited by Janne; March 3rd, 2009 at 17:54.
    NWP627 likes this.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information