Which to get? Seiko Snowflake or Omega Speedmaster White Moonphase

View Poll Results: Seiko SBGA011 "Snowflake" OR Omega Speedmaster White Moonphase

Voters
50. This poll is closed
  • Seiko SBGA011 "Snowflake"

34 68.00%
  • Omega 3575.20 Speedmaster White Moonphase

16 32.00%
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Which to get? Seiko Snowflake or Omega Speedmaster White Moonphase

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Which to get? Seiko Snowflake or Omega Speedmaster White Moonphase

It's a toss up between these two. A Seiko Snowflake or the Omega 3575.20 (white Speedmaster Moonphase).

Here are some borrowed pictures.

Name:  home_image.2396973.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  100.9 KB
    Name:  SpeedmasterProMoonphase1_zps5c43b0b6.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  77.6 KB

I like the simplicity of the Snowflake, and the idea of a super smooth running second hand is definitely attractive. The textured dial I'm sure is awesome in person. I'm concerned about being 41mm for a dress watch. I wonder if it will wear large.

I really like the Omega too. There is a fun factor with the Moonphase and it's also something that my kid would find really "neat". It looks classy and also like it may wear a bit smaller than the spec 41mm (I've seen other places say it's 39mm too).

The price difference would be pretty large if I bought the Snowflake new, but I'd be looking at finding a used one, so it won't be as big a deal.

Thoughts?

I'll add a poll to make it easy to help me too.

Thanks for looking.
    CitizenM likes this.

Re: Which to get? Seiko Snowflake or Omega Speedmaster White Moonphase

I would get the snowflake. For me that speedmaster isn't the right speedmaster to get, its a great watch, but the snowflake for me is simply a must have GS.
    nikidasi and chuasam like this.
    "Put .... A ... Grand ... On... It !"

I think the Snowflake is far better looking. But the Omega is far more complicated. Dunno. But I bet you'll never see another Seiko like yours around if you get the Snowflake, whereas you see Omegas every day...advantage Seiko IMO
    nikidasi likes this.

Both are super cool looking, but the Snowflake just feels more coherent and special. But that may be partially due to the fact that I'm not a huge chronograph guy.

Keep in mind that the Snowflake is crazy light due to the titanium, which some people dislike in real life. It takes some getting used to, but titanium watches have grown on me over the years.

The movements create a nice standoff. The Seiko is obviously far more accurate and has a superior power reserve, but the Omega is actually much more complex, with a chronograph, moon phase and date, so I suppose in that department, it depends on what aspect you were looking at. I'm more interested in the time keeping side of things personally, but that's just a preference.

In terms of movement prettiness, as I recall the Omega has a steel caseback, so at least practically speaking, the Snowflake, especially the recent better decorated ones, would handily win in that department, if it matters at all anyway.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rarity advantage of the Snowflake. Although it's undoubtedly much rarer, I imagine that Omega is pretty rare as well, so the likelihood of seeing another one in person is probably extremely low in both cases. The ordinary Speedmasters, that's another story, but this one, I don't think so.

This one is pretty tough. I love the look of that Speedy but that is a pretty special GS. For me it would come down to price and attire. The Speedy seems a tad bit more casual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cannonball likes this.
    Ball<>Fossil<>Invicta<>Grand Seiko<>Orient<>Seiko<>Timex<>Tissot

I was actually looking into getting a sapphire case back for the Speedmaster. They are available and the movement is pretty nice looking.

I am concerned about setting the Omega every time I put it on as it's a hand wound, but there may be some nice charm to that. The Seiko has a 72hr power reserve which is something to consider against the Omega.

I'm also concerned with ease of maintenance. I think the Omega would win with that.

It might sound I'm leaning towards the Omega, but the Seiko has definitely got me, and it's the Omega that is making me hesitate. But I've had that Omega in vaguely my sights for a long time.
    Last edited by Cannonball; May 2nd, 2014 at 04:28.

Have you ever had a hand wind only watch before? I had never, so I tried with the HMT White Pilot project, and pretty much sold it immediately. Just couldn't get used to hand winding. That's just me though, but I would hate for you to get the Omega and then not enjoy that aspect of it.
    Cannonball likes this.
    Current Collection:
    Seiko Arctura Kinetic SNL025, Xetum Tyndall Off-White, Hamilton Jazzmaster Open Heart, Sea-gull Wuyi #87, Armida A1 PVD, Olivier Bronze 500m Diver ETA #87, Armida A1 Blue, G Gerlach m/s Batory Big Date, G Gerlach p.24

I like both, but for me it would be the Speedy. That version has always caught my eye.
    Cannonball likes this.

All my (modern) watches are automatics, but I don't mind handwinding. In some cases I prefer it. With regard to that complicated chronograph, it's probably a big plus because it would otherwise be quite thick.

Of course, one of the nice things about all Seikos is that there is no rule against hand winding them anyway, so you can really go either way with that. The Snowflake does have a screw down crown though, so that can be a plus or minus depending on your aversion to water and/or hand winding.

Oh,,, the moon phase...

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk
    Cannonball likes this.
    Stratocasters RockHidden Content !

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information