Like Tree26Likes

Thread: A good friend is considering a Dunhill watch, are they worth the price?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

A good friend is considering a Dunhill watch, are they worth the price?

A good friend of mine has seen Dunhill, Rolex watches etc... and says that if every he is to buy a Luxury watch, he'll get the Dunhill.
    They are at least $7000.
    I didn't even know that Dunhill made watches till then. I thought that Dunhill only made cigarettes, my bad.

Anyone have any idea if they are worth their price?
    On their web site it says that they use Jaeger-LeCoultre calibres...
    Any owners?

Re: A good friend is considering a Dunhill watch, are they worth the price?

Dunhill have always marketed a number of high quality, luxury items.
    However, if I was buying a watch with a Jaeger-LeCoultre movement I would buy a Jaeger-LeCoultre, not a Dunhill.
    Bentima Star (Ultra Slim 50's)
    Sandoz (sub clone 2007)
    Ticin Chronograph (50's)
    Sea-Gull 1963 Re-issue (2011)
    Sekonda Deluxe (gold tone)(60's)
    Sekonda (23 jewel silver tone)(60's)
    Seiko Chronograph (Quartz 2005)

Moderator Public Forum geoffbot's Avatar

I didn't know they made watches either. First time I've heard them mentioned on this site.
    Nomos Orion Datum, TAG Carrera, Tissot Visodate, 2012 & 2013 WUS CMW Forum Watch, f71 2013 Forum Watch, 1976 Seiko Bell-Matic

Gee. Rolex, who make watches, or Cigarette company, with (to be fair fabulous JLC movement) who does not make watches. Not even close, let alone discounting all the "other" luxury brands including JLC, Blancpain, IWC, Breitling, Bremont, UN, etc...

Would you buy a pair of luxury shoes from Marlboro, even if Prada provided the leather?

Dan
    Perseus and WnS like this.
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

That's about my feeling too. I'd actually recomend him a Glashutte Orginal or a Nomos over the Dunhill but I knew nothing about the timepiece.
    Another reason why they may not be better known is that they are almost always limited edition. I am even starting to think that JLC are making the watches for Dunhill not only the mvt.

MontBlanc is a pen company that makes decent watches, or successfully sources them. If Dunhill's watches are half as good as its lighters then they are better than many proprietary brands. I have one lighter with a small clock built into it, don't know the maker of the timepiece, but it still works.

WnS

Anything novel about Dunhill watches? Strap that smells like nicotine, hands that look like cigarettes, smoke break timer?
    I'm content with my watch collection

You guys realize that Dunhill has been making luxury goods and accessories much longer than cigarettes. They we supposedly making clocks for cars in 1903.
    Last edited by Kungfucowboy; July 8th, 2012 at 15:18.
    Janne and MZhammer like this.

Banned

Alfred Dunhill is very similar to Cartier. Design of the highest level.

Which Dunhill watch does your friend want? I personally would buy the Art deco square one if they came in Stainless steel.
    MZhammer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawyer View Post
    MontBlanc is a pen company that makes decent watches, or successfully sources them. If Dunhill's watches are half as good as its lighters then they are better than many proprietary brands. I have one lighter with a small clock built into it, don't know the maker of the timepiece, but it still works.
    Not to hijack, but montblanc has actually made huge strides in the last 10 years or so. I think they may even have an in house movement now (or are almost finished building one).

Sent Via Tapatalk

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information