Great NYT article on Shinola and their aspirations - Page 23
Like Tree320Likes

Thread: Great NYT article on Shinola and their aspirations

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Re: Great NYT article on Shinola and their aspirations

Quote Originally Posted by chefmhf View Post
    I generally agree with your closing comment about quartz being a motivator for all the rancor. That said, I think the bigger driver is the "anti-hipster" aspect. It goes something like this....I hate that watch because lots of other people who aren't WIS actually like it.
    Pretty much. Also, as someone mentioned in the Bill Clinton Shinola thread, the fact that newbies get their enjoyment from one watch while we chase that initial joy from a purchase for our much-larger collections also plays a part. Like drug addiction, the chase of the first high that can never be had.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040-07A Silver Ice, FitBit Charge 2

I call Shinola a gateway watch. I personally know a handful of people who's first watch was a Runwell for nothing but fashion purposes. But, it got them a little more interested in the hobby and they've moved on to mechanicals- Seiko, Swatch group stuff etc.
    @Detroitstrapco

Current
    Oris Carl Brashear, UG Polerouter 1961, Seiko 7A28 x8, Detroit Watch Co Aviator

Past
    Swiss: Tudor Submariner 7021/0 1969, Rolex Explorer II 16570, Zenith El Primero 36,000 Red, IWC Pilot 3717, Tudor Black Bay, Omega Speedmaster 3594.50, Omega Seamaster Chronostop 1968, Gruen Chrono 770CA 1970's, Omega Geneve 1970 Hamilton Jazzmaster Chrono, Hamilton Khaki Field Chrono Panda, Hamilton Khaki Auto PVD, Hamilton Khaki Field, Oris Diver, Sinn 556i, Tissot Heritage 150th, Shinola Brakemen, Steinhart Apollon, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 44, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr Bronze, Steinhart Nav B-Uhr 47 Pink Gold, EDOX WRC Rally, Mondaine Evo, Longines Conquest, Bulova 96A111, Pierce Chronograph cal. 134
    German: Sinn 103 Tachy LE, Laco Paderborn, Laco "Used Look", Archimede Pilot XLH, Stowa Flieger
    Japanese: Seiko SCEB009, SARB017, SKZ330, SKZ323, SKX781, SRP313, Orient Disk

Got this from the UPS guy today.

Name:  6282EBC0-8FF5-4ED6-848F-8D9751F943D0_zpsyg2qa9cs.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  313.2 KB

Cheers,
    Ben "LBD"

Quote Originally Posted by exxtinguishable View Post
    True- they're fixies for hipsters. I'd rather stick with my Specialized mountain bike
    The same can said for many hipster micro-brand watches could it not? However, people are free to spend "their" money as they please.
    Sevenmack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by internet.interface View Post
    I just saw the collection at Neiman Marcus in San Francisco. I like the idea of an American brand and one coming from a bankrupt, but proud industrial city, but the watches did not grab me. There seemed to be no unifying design language. It was like an effort to make one of everything, in every color. Imagine if Ferrari had started out with sedans, delivery trucks, and sports cars. IMO....they should have started with 2-3 exclusive designs (tool watches first?) to build the buzz and thus desirability. The RunWell Sport SH1002 in black on a nato seems like it is hitting at the central theme of the brand. The metal plaque on the packaging is a nice touch. These might be a bargain used, and good watch to wear to a political fundraiser or US government meeting.
    Detroit is no longer in bankruptcy and has been since 2014. It lasted a total of 17 months.
    Last edited by Scorpion 1031; January 17th, 2016 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSeikoFan View Post
    What he said.
    You just described 90+% of consumers.

Another reason to hate Shinola. They are exploitive $&@&;:)$ - heads:

http://keepypsiblack.org/2016/01/15/...sm-in-detroit/
    teatimecrumpet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by liwang22 View Post

Where American is Made: Shinola as Neo-Colonialism in Detroit | Keep Ypsi Black

I am no Shinola fan, but the author is seemingly from the Sharpton school...look for the worst possible, most extreme interpretation of any piece of information and explode it to sensationalist degrees.

Of course, that means it fits in with the general tone of a Shinola thread perfectly.
    Sevenmack and liwang22 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gangrel View Post
    I am no Shinola fan, but the author is seemingly from the Sharpton school...look for the worst possible, most extreme interpretation of any piece of information and explode it to sensationalist degrees.

Of course, that means it fits in with the general tone of a Shinola thread perfectly.
    Neocolonialism, like neocon, and neoliberalism, is just a bunch of ivory tower academic gobbledygook those with little in the way of intellect use to criticize that which they disagree, but cannot effectively critique because they don't have brains. Of course, the writer of this 'blog' provided great fodder for Shinola critics, some of whom think the same way s/he does.
    Invicta 2875, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater, 1965 Seiko Sportsmatic 5 Weekdater, 1940s Doxa with Small Seconds, Early 1950s Seiko (Still identifying movement), Bulova 96A110 Mechanical, Stuhrling Millenial Ravine Hand-Wind, Citizen Eco-Drive Calibre 8651, Stuhrling Original Zeppelin Skeleton, Christopher Ward C5 Malvern, Stuhrling Original Tuskegee Flier, Stuhrling Original Executive II, Seiko Cocktail Time SARB065, Seiko Presage SARX015, Bulova Precisionist Wilton, Bulova Precisionist 98B224 Big Blue, Eterna KonTiki Date, Citizen World Perpetual A-T, Citizen Signature Grand Classic NB0040-07A Silver Ice, FitBit Charge 2

Quote Originally Posted by liwang22 View Post

Where American is Made: Shinola as Neo-Colonialism in Detroit | Keep Ypsi Black
    I'm about as far from a Shinola fan as one can get but that write-up is just sad. Some people just want to see what they want to see. Shinola is many things and exploitive IMO is one of them but not in the context this ex Shinola barista believes it to be. I think this person took one too many steam shots to the head while employed there...

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread Information