Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrew McGregor

Thread: Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1

    Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

    Hi everyone, my father had a Citizen Eco Drive and unfortunately he took it to a repair shop after it stayed in the drawer and battery discharged.
    Since he lives in a small town the shop just put a battery in and the watch worked only for few days.
    Now I got the watch with me and I want to buy the proper battery : MT621. I don't know how to fit the battery in, which part is up and how it should connect to the body of the watch.
    Since I do not have the original and I even don't know if parts are missing now, I can use some images to identify how it should look like with and without battery.
    I would take it to Citizen, but at this point the repairs would probably cost as much as the watch. I want to give it a try , maybe I can make it work myself, but I have no manuals with images.
    Does anybody has some images to guide me. The watch is a Citizen E030. Thanks for help
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    Member jtstav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,707

    Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

    Eco-Drives use a capacitor instead of a normal battery. Think of it like your cellphone battery that you recharge rather than dropping a few double a's into it every other day. That's what allows its solar charging ability to power the watch. I don't think that jeweler knew what they were doing if they put in a regular watch battery since it meeds a capacitor instead. The reason it died could be either because they gave you an old battery, or because they fried the movement by putting in a battery instead of the capacitor.

    What you would need to do is call Citizen's service center, give them the model number off the caseback, and find out what capacitor style you need. You can also give Google a shot at finding that information out. Once you do that you would have the capacitor put in much like a regular battery and them let the watch build up a charge. You should be good to go from there as long as the movement wasn't damaged by the improper battery being put in. I may be wrong about the battery damaging the movement so don't fret just yet. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Good luck getting it repaired mate.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

    Click HERE to visit my watch review channel



  3. #3
    Member GlennO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,445

    Re: Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

    I'm afraid you're right, putting in a regular battery may have wrecked the movement causing it to stop. Rather than trying a new capacitor which now may not work, it may be better just to replace the entire movement if the watch has sentimental value. This supplier has them listed for $55.00:

    HPS Watch Parts - E030/031 CITIZEN

    Just don't take it to the same shop to have it fitted. I wouldn't trust them with anything after that.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

    An MT621 with the Citizen connector on it (you need this exact version, AKA Citizen part number 295-51) looks like this:
    Name:  752532.jpg
Views: 6640
Size:  69.4 KB

    If you compare the shape of the tag with the cutout in the bottom of the battery well in the movement, you can see how it should fit in there... the tag hooks under the little wire to the right, in your first photo.

    These capacitors are VERY sensitive to static electricity, and have to be handled with extreme care not to static zap them. If you're not right up to speed on that, learn before you unpack the capacitor, or you WILL destroy it.

    However, the movement is probably dead, and since a whole movement is only $25 more than the capacitor, I'd suggest replacing the whole thing. Bonus: the movement is not static sensitive (well, not unusually sensitive), as the protection circuit is then hooked up to the capacitor.
    rfortson likes this.

  5. #5
    Member Citizen V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,644

    Re: Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by jtstav View Post
    Eco-Drives use a capacitor instead of a normal battery. Think of it like your cellphone battery that you recharge rather than dropping a few double a's into it every other day. That's what allows its solar charging ability to power the watch. I don't think that jeweler knew what they were doing if they put in a regular watch battery since it meeds a capacitor instead. The reason it died could be either because they gave you an old battery, or because they fried the movement by putting in a battery instead of the capacitor.
    They actually use Li-ion batteries.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen V View Post
    They actually use Li-ion batteries.
    Not one this old. That's a capacitor... check the part datasheet.

  7. #7
    Member Citizen V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,644

    Re: Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor View Post
    Not one this old. That's a capacitor... check the part datasheet.
    I don't believe Citizen has ever used capacitors. Seiko did with their old Kinetics though if that's what you're thinking of. Checking the E030 instruction manual:

    8. About the Eco Drive Rechargeable Battery
    This watch uses the rechargeable battery, which does not have to be periodically replaced
    due to repeated charging and discharging, unlike ordinary batteries.
    However, certain maintenance, such as water testing and gasket checks should be performed
    at regular intervals. The requirements will vary by model and features.

    Caution
    Never use a battery other than the Eco Drive Manganese Titanium rechargeable battery used
    in this watch.
    Installing a battery other than the original Eco Drive Manganese Titanium Rechargeable
    battery may result in overcharging of the movement causing it to burst. This may result in
    damage to the watch and even to the human body.
    EDIT: I found the spec sheet as well: http://thewatchsite.com/files/Citize...nuals/E030.pdf
    It also says it uses a secondary battery.
    Last edited by Citizen V; December 1st, 2012 at 06:23.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

    Ah, ok...

    So, yes, it is a lithium battery. Which is a kind of capacitor too, within a limited voltage range that doesn't start at zero... still, I'm grasping at straws, and you're basically right. The new 'supercapacitors' would also make a reasonable solar watch cell.

    In any case, that's the right part for this movement above, and I still think it's probably a movement replacement now.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1

    Re: Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor View Post
    An MT621 with the Citizen connector on it (you need this exact version, AKA Citizen part number 295-51) looks like this:
    Name:  752532.jpg
Views: 6640
Size:  69.4 KB

    If you compare the shape of the tag with the cutout in the bottom of the battery well in the movement, you can see how it should fit in there... the tag hooks under the little wire to the right, in your first photo.

    These capacitors are VERY sensitive to static electricity, and have to be handled with extreme care not to static zap them. If you're not right up to speed on that, learn before you unpack the capacitor, or you WILL destroy it.

    However, the movement is probably dead, and since a whole movement is only $25 more than the capacitor, I'd suggest replacing the whole thing. Bonus: the movement is not static sensitive (well, not unusually sensitive), as the protection circuit is then hooked up to the capacitor.
    Andrew, thanks for this info. Since I also got an Eco with a regular silver oxide battery I will be trying to put in the capacitor. What is not really clear to me - when the capacitor is in as in picture 1, should I see the 2 rivets or should they be hidden in the battery well? A regular battery would have the negative pole hidden in the battery well and the positive pole would be visible in picture 1. So, with MT621 should I see the rivets when correctly installed?

    Looking forward to getting my MT621 and then installing it. The charging mechanism seems to be working as the second hand moves when the watch face is exposed to light. Whether it will charge is another matter.

    cheers, briandaus

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    1,188

    Re: Help to Replace battery for ECO Drive

    I believe you should see the positive side of the battery, and the rivets should be facing the dial. If you look back a few posts, the movement service manual confirms that (see the top diagram on page 11).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •