High MSRP but always on sale? Invicta...etc Rip-off or good deal???
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: High MSRP but always on sale? Invicta...etc Rip-off or good deal???

-->
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

High MSRP but always on sale? Invicta...etc Rip-off or good deal???

What are some brands to look out for as far as presenting themselves as upscale quality brands but in actuality are nowhere near? For example, Not too long ago I bought a Swiss Legend chronograph from a watch deal a day website. It was on sale for around $160, MSRP $750. What a good deal I thought!!! The watch however did not really impress. The dials on the chronograph would never line up properly, hands seemed a few mm's off center...etc. I tried everything I could includng taking it to a watch repair shop (who proceeded to tell me they hadnt even heard of Swiss Legend and it would probably be a better idea to scrap it...)

Anyways, looking for more examples of brands like this, That set their MSRP sky high, then actually sell for fractions of the cost. And you end up getting what you pay for....

I have heard and seen similar things about Invicta too....

You really thought you were getting a $750 watch for $160? Oh dear.

Invicta and Stuhrling set artificially high MSRP's. This doesn't necessarily mean that all their watches are junk. But they do use that kind of marketing to sucker naive people.

-Ed-
    sent from my mobile device
    AAWATCHES and brandon\ like this.
    -Ed-

Re: High MSRP but always on sale? Invicta...etc Rip-off or good deal???

Well yeah I pretty much get that. I was however, decieved by Swiss Legend. Anyone know whats up with this brand? Did I just get a lemon or are they generally bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpres888 View Post
    Well yeah I pretty much get that. I was however, decieved by Swiss Legend. Anyone know whats up with this brand? Did I just get a lemon or are they generally bad?
    If by lemon, you mean the hands being a tiny bit off, then no. It's fairly common on quartz watches in that price range. As far as Swiss Legend as a brand, I have never owned one so I cannot comment. I haven't seen anything nice written about them here though, but that doesn't always mean too much.

-Ed-
    sent from my mobile device
    -Ed-

Take a look at this page:

Grades of Chinese watches - Chinese Watch Industry Wiki

Swiss Legend supposedly make decent Chinese watches, but I wouldn't say $170 was an especially "good deal"...

I'll say again what I just said in another thread a couple of days ago:

The best summation of Swiss Legend I have read is that they are not Swiss or a legend.

And another brand that partakes in this flavor of marketing is Stauer.
    Just my $o.o2.

Victorinox Inox | Seiko SKX Black Monster | Vostok Amphibia 090 | Orient Curator | Casio G-Shock G6900

Most ShopNBC brands are rip offs IMHO.

I have two rules I always apply when buying any watch - new or used.

1. Buy the seller, not the watch.
    2. You get what you pay for - if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

If you ask yourself these questions about any brand or vendor, you'll figure it out easily enough.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

I have owned all types of watches from Rolex, Tag Heuer to several Russian and Chinese pieces to the tried and true Casios which i call "Rubber Rolexes" AFA Invicta I have several both quartz and mechcanical automatic. My favorite is the Grand Diver which I bought for $156.00 and the price included a very usable waterproof dive box for three watches. It was from ShopNBC. This watch has a Japanese Mvt along with the Pro Diver I have which is 5 years old. The Pro Diver sits in a watchwinder with a Rolex Submariner and keeps right up with the high end Swiss marvel and has done so for years. Instead of buying the Chinese knock-offs/replicas buy the Chinese brands like Perpetual or Alpha. For the price they are good dependable pieces. My watch guy tells me that in five more years the Chinese will be making movements that will rival the Swiss. I agree that many of these watches like Swiss Legend and Stauer are simply watches with Chinese Mvts and fancy cases. On these watch shows the presenters are finally starting to gently admit that and keep it real I have scuba dived with my Invictas and they have performed very well.

About a decade ago I bought an "Oscar Emile". Price tag on it was for something like 650.00. Internet search told me RRP was 650.00. I paid 30.00 and was under no illusions as to value. Came in a nice box tho.
    Wore it for years cause I quite liked the look of it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information