WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

High tech, high cool factor quartz watches?

7K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  Metlin 
#1 ·
I seem to be very attracted to these types of watches at the moment. Breitling Aerospace, Omega Spacemaster Z-33, Seiko Astron and so on are some of the favourites that come to mind.

Anyone got any pics of watches like this, or have any favourites in this category? I'm guessing there are tons of these models that I haven't heard of :-d

#2 · (Edited)
Pro-trek PRW-S2500MG

The PRW-2500 has solar charging and atomic time sync, triple sensor barometer, altimeter, thermometer, compass, barograph, tides, moon phase, multiple alarms, etc.

This one is the JDM version with Sapphire crystal and Carbon Fiber strap model PRW-S2500MG that comes with a Mini-Maglite flashlight.

#10 ·
Casio Gulfmaster GWN1000-1B:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Product Fashion accessory

Solar, perpetual calendar, chronograph, tide graph and moon phase, five alarms, countdown timer, compass, barometer, altimeter, thermometer, world time, atomic time sync.

Citizen World Chronograph Blue Angels AT8020-54L:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Solar perpetual chronograph, world time, atomic time sync, aviation slide rule.

Seiko Astron Chronograph SSE001:
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Solar perpetual world time chronograph, GPS sync (better than atomic time because it works everywhere). Titanium and ceramic case.

None of these feature sets are even remotely possible without a lot of post-quartz technology.

#11 ·
All right, but apart from
Solar, perpetual calendar, chronograph, tide graph and moon phase, five alarms, countdown timer, compass, barometer, altimeter, thermometer, world time, atomic time sync.
What have Casio ever done for watches ?!

#19 · (Edited)
In a slightly different direction...

I fell in love with this because of the oil-filled case that is waterproof to 12,000m, requiring a quartz donk to drive through the viscous fluidand remain operational down to 5,000m

It also hase the funky tegimented steel case and clasp that I have not yet scratched

Oh, and it's COSC certificate showed it was accurate to -.1/+.2 seconds in a month!!! Apapparently one of the best the Sinn dealer had ever seen.

Not as many features but the tech invloved in building such a beast appealed to me.

#20 ·
In a slightly different direction...

I fell in love with this because of the oil-filled case that is waterproof to 12,000m, requiring a quartz donk to drive through the viscous fluid up to 5,000

It also hase the funky regiment steel case and clasp that I have not yet scratched

Oh, and it's COSC certificate showed it was accurate to -.1+.2 seconds in a month!!! Apapparently one of the best the SInn dealer had ever seen.

Not as many features but the tech invloved in building such a beast appealed to me.
How does a non Swiss watch get a COSC certificate?

#23 ·
This is kind of, sort of in the same vein as that Sinn, the Victorinox Inox. It's not high-tech - it's a basic three-hander with date. It has a basic quartz movement - no TC, COSC, or anything. But it has a pretty high cool-factor - it supposedly survived a barrage of tests like dropping it three-stories onto concrete, submerging it in gasoline, acids and other solvents, boiling, freezing, running over by a tank and heavy-machinery, etc…

Here's a pic from the web:

And here's mine:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

#28 · (Edited)

new Rangeman Men in Rescue Red JDM with carbon fiber strap and solar & atomic functions, compass, barometer/altimeter, barograph and thermometer.

#30 · (Edited)
Could be said to be true, but really not much more than the Breitling, and having the sweep second hand makes it my choice, price be ignored.

#35 · (Edited)
And of course, my old Pathfinder that's taken so many beatings and still going strong.

I have taken it rock climbing, ice climbing, sailing, flying (and subjected it to multiple Gs), swimming, and just about every adventure I've been on this past decade. This is one tough watch.

Digital compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, two time zones, chronograph, timer, two alarms, backlight, and solar powered.

#36 · (Edited)
Outside of the Brietling emergency & HAQ watches already shown, I think Tissot T-Touch models are some of the most interesting high tech, quartz tool watches around. (All features activate by touching the dial crystal).

I currently have the Tissot Sea Touch and have previously owned a Touch II. The Sea Touch logs depth, time, max depth, ascend/descend rates while diving using the minute & hour hands. The compass feature is a neat implementation. (There was a great promotion video of the Sea Touch on Tissot's website as well as a review on ABTW that I would check out if you have interest in this model).

There are a few various types of Tissot touch models to choose from. I think one of the latest models is Solar charged. Cheers.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

#39 ·
Outside of the Brietling emergency & HAQ watches already shown, I think Tissot T-Touch models are some of the most interesting high tech, quartz tool watches around. (All features activate by touching the dial crystal).

I currently have the Tissot Sea Touch and have previously owned a Touch II. The Sea Touch logs depth, time, max depth, ascend/descend rates while diving using the minute & hour hands. The compass feature is a neat implementation. (There was a great promotion video of the Sea Touch on Tissot's website as well as a review on ABTW that I would check out if you have interest in this model).

There are a few various types of Tissot touch models to choose from. I think one of the latest models is Solar charged. Cheers.
I have read that the T-touch watches have had some QA issues, and that they don't handle shock very well.

Any truth to those statements?

#40 · (Edited)
I have, and like, the Citizen Blue Angels AT8020. Great bang for the buck (street price ranges from $300-$400 new). Only gripe is that readability suffers a bit due to all the dials and sliderule. On occasion I go to look at the time (you know, just... the time!) and depending on lighting may be frustrated at not answering my question so easily. This guy has great lume though so in the dark it's no problem.

My sense is that many watches in this "high functionality" category have similar constraints around trading off quick readability for functionality.

But of course, YMMV!

Reactions: Wish
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.