The Homage: A short rant
Like Tree541Likes

Thread: The Homage: A short rant

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

The Homage: A short rant

I'm sorry, I know this is going to tick off a few people on here... some of whom I really like. But I just have to get this off my chest!

First of all I think we've got our definitions here completely screwed up... there are 4 terms here in my mind.

1. Fake - A watch that is meant to fool people into thinking its another watch.
    2. Copy - A watch that looks exactly like another watch but has a different name on the dial
    3. Homage - A watch that is meant to pay homage to another watch but still is unique in at least a few design elements.
    4. Inspired - A unique watch that draws some of it's design elements from other watches.

Everyone seems to be confusing definition 3 and 2. For example a Steinhart Ocean 1 is a COPY of a Rolex Submariner... it is not a Homage. Whereas a Christopher Ward C60 IS a homage.

To me the design of a watch is like an original piece of art, and I find it mildly disgusting when companies rip-off that design to make money. It really is stealing... and I just can't see myself buying into that. I made the mistake of buying a Getat Panerai COPY once... and it was a very well done copy. But it just feels unethical to wear that watch... even if I feel Panerai is overpriced it doesn't make it right in my mind to steal their design.

I understand that not everyone can afford to buy an original watch.... there are PLENTY of watches I can't afford myself.... but that doesn't mean I should go out and buy a copy. There are PLENTY of watches with ORIGINAL designs out there at every price point... buying copies UNDERMINES those watches too.

I just can't sit here quietly and ignore all those copies... they just bother me too much. I don't hate anyone who chooses to wear them.... thats up to you. But I can't do it. Maybe that makes me a snob. So be it.

Flame away.

-Max
    Last edited by Doboji; October 29th, 2013 at 02:22.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

Re: The Homage: A short rant

That's courageous, Max. But you know you're opening the Pandora's box. Good luck.

Yawn.

Sorry, what?
    Nomos Zürich Weltzeit • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Sinn UX

No flames here. I agree. Why waste wrist time with something that's trying to be something it isn't. One the other hand what do you think when you own something vintage you love but you want a copy so you can enjoy the same case shape and look but with modern improvements?

The law says that after 20 years since release every design/invention becomes public good. This is only when the designer pays for an annual patent protection license. If no license is paid, the design will become public immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Orex View Post
    The law says that after 20 years since release every design/invention becomes public good. This is only when the designer pays for an annual patent protection license. If no license is paid, the design will become public immediately.
    Legal != Right
    MZhammer and lmcgbaj like this.

Collection:
    RGM 801A - Montblanc Twinfly Flyback Chronograph -
    Omega AquaTerra GMT - 1972 Heuer Autavia Viceroy - Ball Engineer Master II Diver World Time
    JeanRichard Terrascope - Longines Legend Diver(Date) - Luminox 6250 - Hamilton Intra-Matic(42mm) - Magrette Moana Pacific Professional - Oris XXL Pointer Day

Intagram: @dobowatches

I know this is a very subjective matter, but I agree with you. I’ve seen many watches (mostly from Alpha and other Chinese brands) that try to copy a watch and then they just put a different logo on it. That to me is a copy and if it can’t be prevented, at least it should be somewhat frowned upon.

I also feel that the Steinhart Ocean One’s design is a bit too close to the Rolex, but there are still a few key differences, like the case size and the caseback design that push it closer to the homage territory. For this reason I don’t really like the Ocean 1, but I do love the Ocean Vintage Military enough to purchase one.
    Perdendosi likes this.

I had a problem with homage up until around a year ago (or copy watches as you put it). Fast forward to now and i'm more open minded about them the two I had/have are a squale 20 atmos..sold this because it looked too similar too my Longines hydro (which i would consider an inspired design btw). Next up the getat luminor, absolutely love it. I think the jist is that I don't have as much of a problem wearing a pam homage than a sub for some reason

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I just wish so many companies would stop "Copying" boring designs.
    Time is relative.

Inactive

I think your definition of copy and homage are off, the terms are interchangeable to me, especially when the one or two elements that really make the source watch unique are copied nearly 100% as they are with the Rolex Sub. So many watches have copied the Rolex Sub that to argue that this watch is a homage and this watch is a copy is pointless. It's why I don't own a diver that copies the Rolex Sub, if I want a sub I'll buy a sub, until then I like watches with original designs.

I briefly had a PAM homage too and it just irritated me and made me realize how much I wanted a real one but couldn't afford it.
    Last edited by Mike_Dowling; October 29th, 2013 at 02:48.
    hanzo likes this.

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast