Hour hand ?burned? shadow into watch face
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Hour hand ?burned? shadow into watch face

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hour hand ?burned? shadow into watch face

Background: I bought this Speedmaster new back in April a day before my son was born and it?s been a great watch, runs about +4.5/day and I couldn?t be happier with that.

BUT today I noticed something strange?it appears the hour hand has ?burned? a shadow of itself into the watch face at 11 o?clock. It?s definitely on the face and not the crystal. I didn?t notice this when I bought it new and there is no sign of this phenomenon happening with the minute hand (or any of the Chrono hands).

My first thought is this has something to do with UV light, but it would have to be something very intense, and I have no idea what that could have been. I?ve been nowhere near a nuclear detonation or a tanning bed :)

I?ve searched and found instances of radium ?burns? on dials but those seem to ?bleach? the area lighter instead of creating a shadow. Plus, this is a new watch and doesn?t use radioactive lume.

It doesn?t bother me too much since I can?t see it unless the light is just right, and I?m more inclined to just leave it alone until it?s time for a service since it keeps such good time for a Speedmaster.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Hour hand ?burned? shadow into watch face

That's quite noticeable and would bother me as well.

Am wondering if this was a store display model and located in an area with bright light. And that the exposure of constant light faded the dial, perhaps.

Vexing. If the watch is under warranty and was procured from your AD, I would think it prudent to take it into them and see what can be done. The AD should be able to facilitate a warrant repair Via Omega, hopefully.

Congrats on the birth of your child and here's hoping this gets resolved to your satisfaction ASAP.

Beautiful watch!

Quote Originally Posted by soaking.fused View Post
    That's quite noticeable and would bother me as well.

Am wondering if this was a store display model and located in an area with bright light. And that the exposure of constant light faded the dial, perhaps.

Vexing. If the watch is under warranty and was procured from your AD, I would think it prudent to take it into them and see what can be done. The AD should be able to facilitate a warrant repair Via Omega, hopefully.

Congrats on the birth of your child and here's hoping this gets resolved to your satisfaction ASAP.

Beautiful watch!
    It was purchased gray market (I know, I know...). I may see if the j-shop will replace or repair it but still... it keeps such good time! I?m typically a very picky person so I?m not sure why I feel so ?ok? with this haha.

A bit freaky for sure. I was thinking you should call the Ghostbusters but soaking.fused's suggestion is probably a better one.

I can't say I've ever seen anything like it. I think it's more likely that the dial has faded around the shadow of the hour hand, but I have no explanation as to why that wouldn't happen with any of the other hands.

Do you have any other pictures? I want to compare your dial to the one on mine (which is now 6+ years old).
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Hamilton Pan Europ|Breitling B-1|Tudor Black Bay|Ranger|Rolex Submariner

A man's watch is a very cherished thing. You steal that, you might as well be stealing his soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    I can't say I've ever seen anything like it. I think it's more likely that the dial has faded around the shadow of the hour hand, but I have no explanation as to why that wouldn't happen with any of the other hands.

Do you have any other pictures? I want to compare your dial to the one on mine (which is now 6+ years old).
    Well of course I have more photos.

And err speaking of photos... I?m beginning to figure out what might have done this. I dabble in photography and borrowed a set of studio strobes to shoot some stereo equipment, I?m starting to remember the watch was probably a few feet from the strobes sitting on the table. I pooped them quite a few times at full power.. hmmmmmm.

I had the watch off-wrist because my subject was a gigantic tube amplifier with equally gigantic power transformers which would surely magnetized the hell out of a watch.

I?m starting to have of those EURKEA-ohh crap moments now. :(
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheMoon View Post
    Well of course I have more photos.

And err speaking of photos... I?m beginning to figure out what might have done this. I dabble in photography and borrowed a set of studio strobes to shoot some stereo equipment, I?m starting to remember the watch was probably a few feet from the strobes sitting on the table. I pooped them quite a few times at full power.. hmmmmmm.

I had the watch off-wrist because my subject was a gigantic tube amplifier with equally gigantic power transformers which would surely magnetized the hell out of a watch.

I?m starting to have of those EURKEA-ohh crap moments now. :(
    Seems like you can kinda make out the shadow in those photos over where the "O" in PROFESSIONAL and the "S" in Speedmaster. Doesn't seem like the hour hand over the same spot where you're seeing the shadow effect. Or were you still taking these photos past 11:00?
    Last edited by osamu; 1 Week Ago at 06:03.

also from the position of the hour hand... the minute hand might've been right behind the chronograph hand. Any pictures with the chronograph hand out of the way?

I looked at the time stamps for those photos I was taking with the SLR and strobes, they were right around 10:44-10:52am. I’m getting a sinking feeling now.

I’m trying to get a shot of the face with the chrono seconds counter moved from the 12:00 position. It seems there might be a shadow of the “spade” on the seconds counter burned in there, too. Kinda looks like I may have roasted the whole dial EEK!

Gonna go thud my head against the wall for a little while.
    pinkybrain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheMoon View Post
    I looked at the time stamps for those photos I was taking with the SLR and strobes, they were right around 10:44-10:52am. I’m getting a sinking feeling now.

I’m trying to get a shot of the face with the chrono seconds counter moved from the 12:00 position. It seems there might be a shadow of the “spade” on the seconds counter burned in there, too. Kinda looks like I may have roasted the whole dial EEK!

Gonna go thud my head against the wall for a little while.
    Only one way to confirm this. Move the hour hand over 2 o'clock, repeat the strobe light, and see if it makes another shadow. In for a penny....
    Rattrapante Pete likes this.
    OMEGA Speedmaster Professional 3570.50
    OMEGA Speedmaster '57 60th (2017)

ROLEX DaytonaC (White) 116500LN - Waitlisted
    ROLEX GMT Master II 116710BLNR
    ROLEX Sea-Dweller 116600

ROLEX Submariner Date (Green) 116610LV - On Order

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information