WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

How do these movments compare to the ETA 2824-2?

17K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  Perseus 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen an analysis of how the the new Miyota 9015 or the new TMI/Seiko SII NH35 stacks up against the ETA 2824-2 in terms of performance?

#8 ·
It really depends on the watch manufacturer. Any base movement can be made to Chronometer grade with some modifications or adjustments but not all manufacturers do this to their movements. That said, many manufacturers don't bother with those things and just put the movement in bone stock with a few adjustments only.

With regards to durability, I'd say the Japanese are ahead in this regard. They've pretty much cornered the super low end automatic sector where the watches are subjected to hard use and harsh environments. Most of these watches don't even undergo maintenance, for the most part and are still running well.

#9 ·
I just picked up a watch with the Miyota 90S5, similar to the 9015 but with a skeleton opening in the front. I guess all I can say at this point is "I'll let you know," but after two days with the watch its timekeeping has been perfect, but as the cliche goes, time will tell.

#11 ·
I don't have any watches with either the Miyota or Seiko movt. mentioned but all my ETA 2824 watches are super. My Seiko's with the 6r15 Movt. are just as good or better (accuracy wise) though. The ETA has a smoother sweep second hand which I really like. IMHO I think ETA 2824 vs Seiko 6R15 would be a better calibre comparison.

#12 ·
I haven't seen any reports. Imparting them but based on specs a Miyota 9015 should be (on average) slightly more accurate than the base grade 2824. The 9015 is spec'd to +30 to -10 and less than 40 seconds positional variation over 4 positions while the 2824 is +- 30 seconds and is adjusted to two positions. The better grades of 2824 would outperform the 9015 in terms of accuracy.

I would love to see a consumer reports evaluations of movements. Comparable to what they do with cars. It would be fascinating to see if various manufacturers reputations were supported by their movements real world performance on something more than an anecdotal basis.

Reactions: ChiefWahoo
#13 ·
I haven't seen any reports. Imparting them but based on specs a Miyota 9015 should be (on average) slightly more accurate than the base grade 2824. The 9015 is spec'd to +30 to -10 and less than 40 seconds positional variation over 4 positions while the 2824 is +- 30 seconds and is adjusted to two positions. The better grades of 2824 would outperform the 9015 in terms of accuracy.

I would love to see a consumer reports evaluations of movements. Comparable to what they do with cars. It would be fascinating to see if various manufacturers reputations were supported by their movements real world performance on something more than an anecdotal basis.
Absolutely, I wish their was a "grand prix" of movements that tested these mechanisms under "extreme" conditions so consumers could evaluate what they are buying, instead of cliche.

#23 ·
Wow, quite an eye opener. No wonder the poor guy got pilloried. I wish I had the time and horological skill needed to duplicate his efforts with some other watches.

#24 ·
I think that Rolex (and other Swiss brands) face a hailstorm of competition and cannot rely on pedigree in the foreseeable future to sell watches . . . then again there are buyers who will purchase based on "pedigree only" versus performance, workmanship, style, quality of material, etc.

#30 ·
I had a 9015 in a Lum-Tec and it wasn't as accurate as any 2824's I've owned. I don't remember how many seconds it gained over 24 hours but I remember the rotor wobble of the unidirectional winding. I'd move my wrist a certain way, like parking a car with one hand, and you could feel and hear the rotor spinning 90 miles an hour. What also bothered me was Lum-Tec's decision to put a see through case back on a un-decorated movement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.