How does Baume & Mercier compare to TAG, Omega and the likes?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: How does Baume & Mercier compare to TAG, Omega and the likes?

-->
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

How does Baume & Mercier compare to TAG, Omega and the likes?

There are a few very nice B&M watches out there (pictured = Classima Executives 8852) but for some reason, I am not reading too much on this forum about Baume & Mercier.

My ultimate question is how B&M compares to TAG, Omega and similar priced brands?

Any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: How does Baume & Mercier compare to TAG, Omega and the likes?

I agree with this consideration Watches And Reviews - Baume et Mercier There is no shortage of watches at this price point and the Classima XXL is not overly innovative in design IMO.

Omega depending on the model has superior movements and can found pre-loved for going MSRP on this example or well under. Without having specific models of Omega or Tag it is hard to really compare not knowing all the facts. Too many variations in the different models for both brands.
    wilfreb likes this.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

TDF

Hey MrT,

I'm new around here, but I'll stick my neck out and say that B&M doesn't get a huge amount of respect because they don't make any of their movements (that I know of), and are not known for innovation in any way. That said, though, their quality is very good. I really like their style, and from what I can tell, so do most folk around here. I own an 8791 and it is my go to dress watch when I'm wearing brown shoes.

It's just fine that they don't make their own movements (like the other poster, I don't know of an in-house. Correct me if wrong). B&M has great looking designs and their dress watches are some of my favorites. The dial/had combo on them is among the best looking.

For example:

Name:  Baume-Mercier-8791.jpg
Views: 8785
Size:  39.1 KB

As for comparing them, I think B&M presents a good value when compared to other brands.

TDF

Quote Originally Posted by ImitationOfLife View Post

As for comparing them, I think B&M presents a good value when compared to other brands.
    Yeah, what he said, and I neglected to. Oh, and the image he shows... that's the B&M I have!

Quote Originally Posted by ImitationOfLife View Post
    Agree, if bought wisely, Baume et Mercier certainly offers a great value. They do make some sharp looking watches, as noted by OP tend to not get as much love around here, but certainly are not looked down upon by any means.
    Better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done...

I think that you will find the fit and finish to be very close between the three. The styling of course differs, so my recommendation would be to base your purchase on the design that speaks to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TDF View Post
    Hey MrT,

I'm new around here, but I'll stick my neck out and say that B&M doesn't get a huge amount of respect because they don't make any of their movements (that I know of), and are not known for innovation in any way. That said, though, their quality is very good. I really like their style, and from what I can tell, so do most folk around here. I own an 8791 and it is my go to dress watch when I'm wearing brown shoes.
    My all means, I am not an expert of movements but I believe that a lot of watch makers are installing 3rd party movements as oppose to developing their own in-house movements.

Not sure if that is the ultimate decision factor in a watch?

To me they come off as more of a fashion brand than the other two. I purchased one once new from a gray market retailer online, I sold it a few weeks later and have not sought out another. Their watches fail to "wow" me in any way, but to each his own.

WnS

Nice quality watches but most designs are just too weird to like. Sort of like Rado.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information