Like Tree1Likes

Thread: How exactly "case size" measurement is determined?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How exactly "case size" measurement is determined?

Hello, I'm curious about this and have searched but not found any threads on the subject.

On many of the sites when describing the watch it will say for example case size - 43mm wide x 13 mm thick.

Others will say "dial size" "case diameter" etc.

Is the way in which they measure different for every watch and whoever is selling it?

In general, when they're describing the case size, is it the entire width from side to side including the knob for setting the time? Or is it the diameter of the dial itself? Bezel included or not?

It seems confusing and difficult to determine exactly what the measurement refers to precisely.

Thank you.

stuffler,mike

Re: How exactly "case size" measurement is determined?

Not confusing or difficult to me. In my understanding (and experience) itīs always the diameter of the case incl. bezel excl. crown.
    The dial diameter doesnīt play a role because it is always smaller. The lugs donīt play a role too.

Well Mike the lugs play a role length wise.
    On a large watch it's wise to know the lug to lug length.
    It's silly looking I think when a watch overhangs one's wrist.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Tragic View Post
    Well Mike the lugs play a role length wise.
    On a large watch it's wise to know the lug to lug length.
    It's silly looking I think when a watch overhangs one's wrist.
    I know, but the lug to lug length isnīt the diameter.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

I've noticed that not many people worry about case area, particularly with regard to tank, tonneau and cushion cases. I recall one discussion in which somebody, on hearing that the Vostok Attache was less than 40mm wide concluded that it was too small for his manly wrist He didn't stop to consider the surface area of a rectangle in comparison to a circle of the same width.
    Perdendosi likes this.

Breitling Forum Moderator SnapIT's Avatar

I've been under the impression that measuring on the 8-2 diagonal gives the "truest" measure of outside dimension of the case when considering round face watches. That coupled with the lug to lug dimension gives a good XY ratio.
    Last edited by SnapIT; October 17th, 2007 at 00:13.
    Cheers,
    SnapIT

Seize the day, it ain't coming around again. . . .
    Click to check for the correct time around the world..

I thought I'd revive this thread because I have this same question and am still unclear as to how to measure a watch. Let's say I take a diving watch where the case juts out a bit at the 9 o'clock position as well as where the crown inserts to. Do I measure from the widest part of the case (9 o'clock) to the opposite side?

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by boneycat View Post
    I thought I'd revive this thread because I have this same question and am still unclear as to how to measure a watch. Let's say I take a diving watch where the case juts out a bit at the 9 o'clock position as well as where the crown inserts to. Do I measure from the widest part of the case (9 o'clock) to the opposite side?
    Iīd do so. Donīt know what the manufacturer did

I'm no expert, just passing along what I've seen and read in a few places...the most common method I've read in determining the basic case size is to measure on the outside of the case with calipers along a diagonal from the 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock position, or from the 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock position -- the specific position you choose is determined by where the crown is located...you don't want to include the crown in the measurement. Some people do take a second measurement including the crown as well, and I've seen it quoted as "case diameter including crown", which I suppose is useful if you need to know the absolute maximum width of the watch as it sits on your wrist. I'm not sure how they work out the measurements if it's a chronograph with pushers - perhaps they alter the diagonal a little bit to miss them...point being, the case measurement is supposedly what the diameter of the case would be if nothing was sticking out of it.

Case thickness seems to be similarly confusing - supposedly, you measure with a caliper from the highest point on the front of the watch to the highest point on the caseback, but again there are variations I've seen, depending on whether the bezel ring is higher than the crystal (as on some dive watches), or other measurements like "crystal thickness" which seem a little dubious.

I agree on the lug length comment - it's important to understand that measurement, especially if you have a smaller wrist and don't want something sticking out.

Hope this helps...
    Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbernier View Post
    I'm no expert, just passing along what I've seen and read in a few places...the most common method I've read in determining the basic case size is to measure on the outside of the case with calipers along a diagonal from the 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock position, or from the 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock position -- the specific position you choose is determined by where the crown is located...you don't want to include the crown in the measurement. Some people do take a second measurement including the crown as well, and I've seen it quoted as "case diameter including crown", which I suppose is useful if you need to know the absolute maximum width of the watch as it sits on your wrist. I'm not sure how they work out the measurements if it's a chronograph with pushers - perhaps they alter the diagonal a little bit to miss them...point being, the case measurement is supposedly what the diameter of the case would be if nothing was sticking out of it.

Case thickness seems to be similarly confusing - supposedly, you measure with a caliper from the highest point on the front of the watch to the highest point on the caseback, but again there are variations I've seen, depending on whether the bezel ring is higher than the crystal (as on some dive watches), or other measurements like "crystal thickness" which seem a little dubious.

I agree on the lug length comment - it's important to understand that measurement, especially if you have a smaller wrist and don't want something sticking out.

Hope this helps...
    Mike
    Nice post. I think you got at what the OP was trying to find out about. You caught all the pertinent details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information