Thread: How long does it usually take to send a package from US to Netherlands/Europe using USPS?

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amstedam, Netherlands
    Posts
    55

    How long does it usually take to send a package from US to Netherlands/Europe using USPS?

    Hi All.

    I am sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask

    I bought one watch from one WUS member on early January this year. The seller, then, send the watch to my home address using USPS (no-tracking number).

    After the two weeks of waiting period, I still had not get any packet from dutch postal service. After several pm exchange and seller's request to USPS, he discovered that USPS resent the watch back to US with a non-delivery stamp on the package.

    My first response is that this thing is rather weird. If the postman tried to deliver the watch to my home while I was not available, they should leave me one note saying that I was not at home when the postman came. They should also give me some notes saying that I should pick up the package directly to the post office ( this is what usually happens if a package come when I was not at home). In facts, I did not receive such notes.

    After receiving back the watch, last week, the seller resent the watch to my business address using USPS with tracking number. (He told me that he would pm me regarding the tracking number. However, I have not received his pm regarding the tracking code. I have sent several pm yet not reply what-so-ever.)

    After more than one week (7 working days to be precise for this second attempt), I have not received anything.

    I am still having a good faith on the seller. He has sold several watches and get some goods feedback for other WUS member. Yet this too-long-time makes me wonder.

    Therefore, I would like to ask any body who has some experience in sending watch to Europe/Netherlands or receiving watch from US. How long does it usually take for one package to be arrived in Netherlands?

    Thx
    Last edited by Aufa; February 5th, 2010 at 14:26.

  2. #2
    Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    4,676

    Re: How long does it usually take for shipment from US to Netherlands/Europe?

    Packages can easily be lost in customs for a week or two. It took me over two weeks to get a package sent from Canada. The Postal service in my opinion is the absolute worst way to ship anything.

    It takes approximately 6 -10 days for the item to reach it's destination from the US using Priority International. Then the item must clear customs which can take anywhere from a day up till whenever they release it.

    I've sent a few packages to Norway and it took about 17 days before the person received it. Hope this helps some.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

    -- John Maynard Keynes

  3. #3
    Member Paradigm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    325

    Re: How long does it usually take to send a package from US to Netherlands/Europe using US

    I have a lot of experience with sending packages from the US to the Netherlands (due to a company I once had). I have always had mixed results. There were times the package arrived in 3-4 days, but when things get stuck in customs (which is possible with a watch, you will need to pay taxes if they decide to inspect it). When things get stuck in customs this can add 2 weeks.

    I've also had packages returned for mysterious reasons. Not a lot, but it has happened.

    Though in my opinion there is no good excuse not send you the tracking code within 7 days (aside from death, hospital etc. but how often does that happen?). I am not saying this person, whoever it may be, is a scammer, but it's rude and a reason not to do business with him/her.

    My advice: send the seller another e-mail and have some more patience :). 7 business days is within the margin of shipping times for most services. What is the expected delivery time? 4-6 business days, 6-10?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,841

    Re: How long does it usually take to send a package from US to Netherlands/Europe using US

    I've sent a few items to Europe over the years and had similar results like Paradigm mentioned above. Most items got there pretty quickly, some took longer, a few were unreasonably slow it getting there and every now and again something would be returned - even though the delivery address was correct.

    The time frames you've described aren't out of the norms, but I would be a little annoyed that you haven't gotten any tracking numbers. And exactly how was it sent? Registered mail is probably the most secure and it should be trackable all along its journey. USPS Express Mail (EMS) has a tracking number - but that should get to you pretty quickly. But not all USPS International Priority has tracking options available.

    Insist that you get a tracking number. So far you haven't seen anything from that seller that shows he's ever sent you anything. If I understand it correctly you've just gotten e-mails stating it was sent, returned and sent again. Did you perhaps pay with PayPal and he's trying to string you out long enough so you can't file a complaint?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amstedam, Netherlands
    Posts
    55

    Re: How long does it usually take to send a package from US to Netherlands/Europe using US

    Quote Originally Posted by HilltopMichael View Post
    I've sent a few items to Europe over the years and had similar results like Paradigm mentioned above. Most items got there pretty quickly, some took longer, a few were unreasonably slow it getting there and every now and again something would be returned - even though the delivery address was correct.

    The time frames you've described aren't out of the norms, but I would be a little annoyed that you haven't gotten any tracking numbers. And exactly how was it sent? Registered mail is probably the most secure and it should be trackable all along its journey. USPS Express Mail (EMS) has a tracking number - but that should get to you pretty quickly. But not all USPS International Priority has tracking options available.

    Insist that you get a tracking number. So far you haven't seen anything from that seller that shows he's ever sent you anything. If I understand it correctly you've just gotten e-mails stating it was sent, returned and sent again. Did you perhaps pay with PayPal and he's trying to string you out long enough so you can't file a complaint?
    Hi

    thanks for the comments and information.

    Yes it is. I just got pm stating that it was sent, returned and sent again.

    Yes, I paid with paypal. Regarding delaying for compliant period, that is also my initial judgment. I am keeping my eye on the 45 days rule.

    Considering the rather good reps of the seller, I will wait for the the last minute of the 45 days period.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amstedam, Netherlands
    Posts
    55

    Re: How long does it usually take for shipment from US to Netherlands/Europe?

    Quote Originally Posted by emmanuelgoldstein View Post
    Packages can easily be lost in customs for a week or two. It took me over two weeks to get a package sent from Canada. The Postal service in my opinion is the absolute worst way to ship anything.

    It takes approximately 6 -10 days for the item to reach it's destination from the US using Priority International. Then the item must clear customs which can take anywhere from a day up till whenever they release it.

    I've sent a few packages to Norway and it took about 17 days before the person received it. Hope this helps some.
    Thx, I should expect quite the same period, I guess

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Amstedam, Netherlands
    Posts
    55

    Re: How long does it usually take to send a package from US to Netherlands/Europe using US

    Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    I have a lot of experience with sending packages from the US to the Netherlands (due to a company I once had). I have always had mixed results. There were times the package arrived in 3-4 days, but when things get stuck in customs (which is possible with a watch, you will need to pay taxes if they decide to inspect it). When things get stuck in customs this can add 2 weeks.

    I've also had packages returned for mysterious reasons. Not a lot, but it has happened.

    Though in my opinion there is no good excuse not send you the tracking code within 7 days (aside from death, hospital etc. but how often does that happen?). I am not saying this person, whoever it may be, is a scammer, but it's rude and a reason not to do business with him/her.

    My advice: send the seller another e-mail and have some more patience :). 7 business days is within the margin of shipping times for most services. What is the expected delivery time? 4-6 business days, 6-10?
    Thanks for the info and advice. Will send pm to him again regarding the tracking code.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •