View Poll Results: How much should a good watch cost? (US dollars)

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't worry about it. Just get something from the drug store. They're all the same.

1 1.54%
  • $50 to $100

3 4.62%
  • $100 to $250

12 18.46%
  • $300 to $500

18 27.69%
  • $600 to $800

8 12.31%
  • $900 to $1,200

8 12.31%
  • Around $2,000

7 10.77%
  • From $2,000 to $5,000

7 10.77%
  • Around or over $10,000

0 0%
  • If you have to ask what a good watch costs, you obviously can't afford one.

1 1.54%

Thread: How much does a *good* watch need to cost?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How much does a *good* watch need to cost?

I'll throw this in, seeing that I'll be without internet for a couple weeks during my vacation (holiday for you Europeans ). :oops:

I've been lurking here and researching, and I've noticed a few things. In my "tough watch" thread, I listed my upper-end as $200 US. A well-meaning poster recommended a $2,000 US piece that might fit the bill.

Aside from irritation at that (no offense meant to that poster), I got to thinking. Just how much does someone need to spend to find a watch that would be considered *good* ? I've read in another thread as to how Citizen was being compared to Timex. Guys, that's like comparing the English World Cup team to some American grade-school footies. Yet some consider Citizen as a "drug store" brand.

My Seiko Perpetual Calendar has an MSRP for $250 US. Some places will give you a great deal on it, some will not budge from the MSRP. It's the best watch I've ever owned. Yet to some, that might as well be a "drug store" brand also. To others, buying that Seiko would be a lifetime goal.

So, given all price ranges to be in US dollars, please vote for how much a *good* watch should cost. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I am only curious as to what the opinions are. If anyone can also lend some insight as to where the price breaks and points of diminishing return-on-investment are, that would help too.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by NebWatchGuy; June 30th, 2006 at 08:48.

stuffler,mike

Re: How much does a *good* watch need to cost?

Would you be so kind to define "good" ! Itīs always a question of perspective.
    "Good" watches are available from 100 to 1.000.000 $

GJ

What do you mean by ''good''..?
    Good as working fine, accurate and comfy on the wrist, you can have a nice quartz for a few bucks at the local drug store.
    But if you mean by ''good'' a nice classic watch which you can pass through your kids or grand children the prices will go up a bit..

''Good'' watches can be found in all price catagories, any watch that keeps time can be judged as ''good''.(IMHO)..

My ''heavy duty watch'' is a quartz Rodania, extremely accurate, took seriously beating and shaking, never let me down.
    A ''good'' watch..
    Kind Regards,
    GJ

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.....

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike
    Would you be so kind to define "good" ! Itīs always a question of perspective.
    "Good" watches are available from 100 to 1.000.000 $
    Good point, Mike. Sorry about that.

I would personally define a "good" watch as one that is designed to last for years, keeps consistent time, is mechanically robust (won't break or stop during everyday normal use), has some common features desired by watch users (such as a date/calendar display, water resistance, nighttime visibility, etc.), and has a generally acceptable appearance for, say, business or a night on the town.

For example, to me, Timex is not a good watch. They are not made to last. My Seiko is a very good watch to me. For example, the calendar will work up to Februrary 28, 2100. I will need to be over 123 years old to outlast that calendar.

I think the Rolex Submariner is a good watch as well, but is it really $7,000 US better than my Seiko? I don't know. I don't have a Rolex Sub, but do I need one to have a "good" piece? Answers to this question and questions like it are the driving factor for this poll.

Like you, I was amazed at the watches out there, but I've
    found that inexpensive Seikos are pretty darn good watches.
    I've had 3 in the last 5 years (one stolen!) and haven't
    paid more than $300.US for any of them. That's not to
    say I wouldn't pay more for others, I'm sure I will. Damned
    this site O| .
    There was an watch auction last March with a few pieces
    going for OVER $100,000. But if you just need to know
    what time it is, a Wally World watch is fine, eh. B-)
    I had some of my watches listed, but then I just got embarrassed.
    You know, like showing up at the party dressed as a male stripper and realizing you're the only person who didn't get the message that it was no longer a costume party.

From 1200-2000$, it is the category where in vintage some very nice quality timepieces are offered generally with inhouse movements and other great details that make the watch a watch a great investment.
    Last edited by georges zaslavsky; June 30th, 2006 at 17:19.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by NebWatchGuy
    Good point, Mike. Sorry about that.

I would personally define a "good" watch as one that is designed to last for years, keeps consistent time, is mechanically robust (won't break or stop during everyday normal use), has some common features desired by watch users (such as a date/calendar display, water resistance, nighttime visibility, etc.), and has a generally acceptable appearance for, say, business or a night on the town.

For example, to me, Timex is not a good watch. They are not made to last. My Seiko is a very good watch to me. For example, the calendar will work up to Februrary 28, 2100. I will need to be over 123 years old to outlast that calendar.

I think the Rolex Submariner is a good watch as well, but is it really $7,000 US better than my Seiko? I don't know. I don't have a Rolex Sub, but do I need one to have a "good" piece? Answers to this question and questions like it are the driving factor for this poll.
    OK, hereīs my answer: Have a closer look to mechanical watches in a price segment up to 1000 Euro: Seiko, Oris, Tissot, Stowa, Limes, Archimede, Laco, Nomos, Citizen, Certina, Candino, Mido, Sinn, Damasko, Tutima and a lot more. Most of them will be fitted with an ETA 2824-2 and itīs day-date-brother 2836. Both are reliable workhorses and have the same pedigree.

My most expensive watch is a Swiss Army Officer's model, with quartz movement and date calendar. It looks great, is accurate and cost $265.

As others have already pointed out, the definition of 'good' is a very subjective one. The only real definition worth a damn is the one you define for yourself. From my own perspective, I found that spending $100-150 at a local shop gets you an 'ok' watch rather than a 'good' one. I've recently purchased two watches, and both times I spent $350USD to get what I consider a 'good' watch - Seiko/Citizen, Titanium, perpetual calendar, high accuracy quartz, etc, and made in Japan. There are exceptions of course. I agree with you Nebwatchguy, I'm sure Rolex et al are all very fine watches, but I can't imagine them being ten times the watch my Promaster is.

I guess the bottom line here is that you need to decide what you feel is 'good' in terms of quality, features, etc, and then consider the price of watches that suit your criteria.

Cheers,
    Adam

I think a good watch is just a watch that you are happy with. I have watches that I got from the Hong Kong street market that was 3 for $12.00us. I have Seiko, Invicta, Lancaster, ESQ, Gucci....that range from $100-1200. I also have Rolex Sub. and Date. that when for around $3400ea... and I consider all these "good" watches because I am happy with them. They might not be the same quality but to me thay are still "good"
    Last edited by xwingtw; July 2nd, 2006 at 20:16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information