Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How often should you wear your automatic watch?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb How often should you wear your automatic watch?

I have 31 watches in my closet and 3 of them are automatic. (Seiko 5 Sports, Tissot Couturier ETA 2834-2 & Citizen 21 jewels). I would like to rotate my 31 watches through whole month but some people say that my automatic watch my end up in trouble if I wont wear them regularly. Can I wear them twice a month? Please give some thoughts.

Re: How often should you wear your automatic watch?

Quote Originally Posted by taurean123 View Post
    Can I wear them twice a month?
    Why not wear them as often as you'd like?

Of course you can.

Banned
    They should have a 2 or 3 year warrantee. If it breaks after that, pick up another one for $100.

I used to use watch winders for watches that I dont wear often. I hope this doesnt open "the winder or not" can of worms. But I just wear my watches how I feel. Right now, U1, PO, and Gshocks command most of my wrist time.
    Wish list - subject to change with the wind
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms
    Glashutte Original PanoMatic Reserve

This seems to be up for debate. I don't think that wearing it too LITTLE will cause a problem but it seems wearing them too MUCH, which is why watch winders have a "sleep" function is it not?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr00jimbo View Post
    This seems to be up for debate. I don't think that wearing it too LITTLE will cause a problem but it seems wearing them too MUCH, which is why watch winders have a "sleep" function is it not?
    This is.............ähmmmmmmm...........not right, a nice fairy tale. Watch winders have a "sleep" function because -depending on the movement - a watch needs onyl 650 to 950 turns a day. Why then should they turn continiously ?
    Kind regards
    Mike

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

You can't wear them "too much", so long as you are wearing them appropriately. The autos you describe are not ultra-delicate vintage deals greased with whale oil.

I have a client that wears a (pretty ugly) automatic TAG every day, for everything. He comes to the conference every year, wears a tux to the gala - TAG on. I golf with him a few times a year, TAG on. I've known him for 6 years, he's never taken it off in that time, and he owned it before I met him. I know he does not take any over the top care with it, but he doesn't kick it around either. It runs like a top, and his only complaint is that the power reserve is about 75% of what it was when it was new. Replacing a mainspring/barrel is not rocket science.

Alternately, you have nothing to worry about leaving it idle either.

Just do whatever works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by taurean123 View Post
    I have 31 watches in my closet and 3 of them are automatic. (Seiko 5 Sports, Tissot Couturier ETA 2834-2 & Citizen 21 jewels). I would like to rotate my 31 watches through whole month but some people say that my automatic watch my end up in trouble if I wont wear them regularly. Can I wear them twice a month? Please give some thoughts.
    31?! Gee.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    This is.............ähmmmmmmm...........not right, a nice fairy tale. Watch winders have a "sleep" function because -depending on the movement - a watch needs onyl 650 to 950 turns a day. Why then should they turn continiously ?
    It seems some have a sleep function to prevent excessive wear to the watch, according to what I have read. So would you say Longines is BSing when they say continuous watch winders puts "excessive wear" on the watch? They do claim that a cheap watch winder is worse than no winder at all.

From Longines' official website

3) What do I have to consider when purchasing a watch winder for my Longines watch?

Longines does not provide watch winders.
    There are several suppliers who sell such devices, but we cannot provide any particular recommendations.
    Please consider the advice mentioned below when purchasing a watch winder for a Longines watch.
    There are three main types of watch winders available:
    1. Functional: these watch winders generally have a simple design.
    2. Elegant: these watch winders are more than purely functional. In these winders, watches are nicely displayed and protected from dust.
    3. Extravagant: these watch winders are luxury watch exhibition and storage devices. A constant temperature can even be maintained inside the watch winder.
    For all winders, we advise the following:
    Do not let your watch be wound continually for over 24 hours. Watch winders with a sleep mode exist, which stop after 1-6 hours of winding and then restart winding after 5-10 hours ideally. This option prevents excessive use of the winding mechanism.
    The clockwise or anti-clockwise rotation of the watch winder must be taken into consideration for some of our automatic watches. Most of them must be wound clockwise (dial towards the face).
    Let your watch be quietly wound. 3-8 rotations per minute is sufficient.
    Advice for purchasing a watch winder:
    a) Reversible winding direction option
    b) Adjustable winding speed option
    c) Sleep mode option if you plan to leave your watch on the watch winder for more than 24 hours.
    Remember that a poor watch winder is worse than having no winder at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information