Thread: How to remove scratches from Fossil watch crystal

How to remove scratches from Fossil watch crystal

My daughter's fairly new Fossil watch has a scratch across the crystal. Not sure what kind of crystal it has, I doubt it's Sapphire. More than likely it is plastic. The scratch appears to be more of a smudge and not a deep cut. You an barely feel it when running a finger over it.

I tried scrubbing it with a brush & toothpaste, but that didn't help. Any ideas? Thanks!

Banned

Re: How to remove scratches from Fossil watch crystal

Probably would be best to replace it. How much is the watch anyway?

(Or get a new watch)

Its probably got a regular mineral crystal, not even Hardlex and much less Sapphire.

If it is plastic, you are in luck. Get some Polywatch. It will take scratches out of most plastics. Cell phone stores sometimes sell it as well for scratches on cell phone screens.

There is not much you can do with a mineral crystal. But it is unlikely to scratch. More likely to break entirely or chip.

-T

Thanks guys! I'll look for the Polywatch stuff. The watch was only $85, but it's less than a month old and my daughter really likes it, so I would like to try and fix it before buying another.

Polywatch actually brings back a funny memory. One time I was leaving the house and I had a vintage Accutron Astronaut on. I was leaving the house to get on an airplane to go to my father's funeral. Absentmindedly, I banged the watch face on the car door and when I got into the car I frantically looked over my watch. There it was. A very nice scratch on the acrylic crystal. I think to myself that I can't be seen in public like this.... So I look at the time on my now injured Astro and I observed that I had 25 minutes extra time.

So out of the car I go, running into the house. I toss the contents of my box of polishing stuff out on my desk. I fumble through the stuff and find my Polywatch. I grab a tee-shirt from the dirty laundry pile and there I am, rubbing the crystal on my watch an hour and fifty minutes before I need to get on a plane to go to my father's funeral.

Am I horrible or what???

(Just to make sure you understand I am not an absolute creep, my father's passing was not unexpected. He was ill a long time and had actually mentally checked out long before. Most of my grieving was done and long past with just the formalities left to do. But still......)

-T <===Most definately a WIS

Chinese Mechanical Watches / Moderator AlbertaTime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NutellaBear View Post
    Polywatch actually brings back a funny memory. One time I was leaving the house and I had a vintage Accutron Astronaut on. <...SNIPPED...> A very nice scratch on the acrylic crystal. I think to myself that I can't be seen in public like this....there I am, rubbing the crystal on my watch an hour and fifty minutes before I need to get on a plane to go to my father's funeral.

Am I horrible or what???
    Nope, not horrible at all--y'gotta look your best to show proper respect!.

Quote Originally Posted by MINIDriver View Post
    Probably would be best to replace it. How much is the watch anyway?

(Or get a new watch)

Its probably got a regular mineral crystal, not even Hardlex and much less Sapphire.
    If the watch has a mineral or Hardlex crystal, buy a tube of Flitz and use some on a soft cloth to polish the crystal in a circular motion. You don't have to bear down hard. You can wash it off with a little soap and water. This process works wonders. My Seiko quartz watch has gotten its crystal scratched repeatedly, and it's scratchless today because of Flitz!

I've got an inexpensive bench grinder with a 5" buffing wheel on it. Takes the scratches quickly. Used this for years. Polywatch is okay ( I have some), but takes forever. Good for small scratches (if you have the patience).
    "My grail showed up today"

What's on your wrist today? dailywristshot.com

Hi. I see that your post is from 2008, but I hope I can help. Fossil usually gives you 11 years of warranty.. So if you drop the watch and the pieces fall, usually it will be fixed for free. What you need to do is go to any fossil store and they will fill out a form for you. They will fix verything and return the watch by USPS mail. You will have to pay 8 dollasrs for shipping and handling. If is not their fault.. they usually charge 27 or 29 dolllars to repair the complete watch, crystal, bezel, strap, internal parts, even battery and they will send it back to you. Usually it takes like 25 days. I have dont it with no problem. You can check in fossil.com too and go to REPAIRS AND RETURNS... print the form, send a check or a money order. I sent it using a tracking system for 80 cents at the post office so I was sure that my watch got there. I hope it can help you. As I say I have plenty of fossil watches and the warranty and repair works very good. Take care.

Thread Information