Thread: How to unscrew caseback without special tool?

How to unscrew caseback without special tool?

My new Seiko SKX031 is running a little fast, and I want to take off the caseback and slow it down. How can I take off the back without damaging it? I know that there are special tools to do it, but I don't want to have to buy something and I don't want to take it to a watchmaker, as it will probably take much trial and error to adjust the speed. Also, can someone please tell me what would be best for adjusting the movement? I was thinking a small flathead screwdriver.

Re: How to unscrew caseback without special tool?

I use a minature padded vice and carefully use needlenose pliars, if you aren't afraid of slipping and getting a scratch. But I would never try to adjust the movement itself. That would be more than cosmetic damage if you messed up. For a small fee most jewelers could fix that.

You can buy cheap functional caseback tools on eBay for less than $10 shipped. IMO, the heartache caused by gouging up your caseback because you decided to save a few bucks and used makeshift tools is not worth it.

MY COLLECTION
    Breitling Aerospace SuperQuartz E75362
    Omega Seamaster Pro Chronometer Mid-size 2052.50
    Sinn 356 Flieger Acrylic on C&B strap
    Seiko SARB027
    Tissot T-Classic Desire T52142113

Luminox 7051
    J. Crew Timex Vintage Field Watch
    Vintage Hamilton's: Boulton, Secometer-B, Gary, Boyd

Casio G-Shock DW5600E-1V (with Mil-Shock mod)

You should definitely have a watchmaker do the adjustment. As for taking the caseback off - spend the few bucks to get a proper tool. I used to use a Swiss army knife and/or a screwdriver until I gouged my hand badly and bled all over the place. Watch got scratched too...

It's a long shot but if you have one of those small hand exercise balls that you squeeze to build strenght, you might be able to press it against the back of the watch which you hold in your palm and turn the caseback via the ball. The lugs, if curved, may get in the way. If "Ahhhnold" the watchmaker tightened the case last time, it might not work.
    Cheers,
    Gerry

Tool watches: Ball Hydrocarbon GMT I, Breitling B-1, Citizen Navihawk, Casio PAW1300-3V, IWC Aquatimer Chronograph, Rolex GMT-Master II, Omega SMP, O&W ID3066, Seiko AGS Flightmaster

Thread Information