Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Viper

Thread: How is the Wenger brand recieved in the watch community?

How is the Wenger brand recieved in the watch community?

I've just bought a new Wenger Watch called Commando. It's really nice looking but I don't have much know-how on the Wenger brand. What I like about this watch is that it's a Chrono, Military style, comes w/leather band (which I've replaced with a brown one. The original comes w/black leather band). Also, it's swiss made. Now, I don't own any high end Swiss watches like Omega or Oris but the Swiss made marking gives it a nice look. The watch is $250 retail but I bought it new from an auction for $87. Tell me what you think of the watch. Thanks all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ronfortines; October 22nd, 2006 at 06:59.

Re: How is the Wenger brand recieved in the watch community?

I don't know much about Wenger watches but for that price you got a great deal. It's a good Swiss quartz watch that should serve you well.

I have a Wenger GST Sea Chronograph. Huge watch with the 7750 auto movement. I like them, mine's built like a tank!

Enjoy!
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

Am i mistaken, or isn't Wenger like an offshoot of Swiss Army???

Don't know if this helps, but i'm a Swiss Army owner, and i love my Maverick.
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

My wife bought me one...

...in 1996. In about 2003 the movement died. I sent it to them with a letter, and even though the watch was way out of warranty, they repaired it and sent it back to me at no charge.

That kind of customer service gets two thumbs up from me!

Victorinox (Swiss Army) bought Wenger last year.
    Regards,

Jeremy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by dtmartin46
    Am i mistaken, or isn't Wenger like an offshoot of Swiss Army???

Don't know if this helps, but i'm a Swiss Army owner, and i love my Maverick.
    Yes and No. It's a little complicated, but Wenger isn't really an offshoot of Swiss Army Brands. Not exactly anyway.

Wenger and Victorinox are Swiss cutlery firms who manufacture authentic Swiss Army Knives. They are the only two firms commissioned to manufacture knives for Swiss military forces and the only two firms authorized to use the Swiss cross and shield on their knives. Victorinox markets themselves as makers of the 'Original' Swiss Army Knife and Wenger markets themselves as makers of the 'Genuine' Swiss Army Knife.

In North America, Victorinox has always been the most popular of the two brands and as such their knives were distributed in the US, Canada and the Caribbean by Swiss Army Brands, Inc. based out of Shelton, CT. They licensed the Victorinox name and logo on watches, luggage, wallets and other travel accessories. Eventually, Swiss Army Brands, Inc. was bought by Victorinox and they continue to produce knives, watches and travel gear under 'Victorinox', 'Swiss Army' and 'Victorinox Swiss Army' labels.

In order to compete with Victorinox, Wenger released it's own line of watches under their brand name 'Wenger' and 'Wenger Swiss Military' all of which are Swiss Made timepieces.

Well, after 9/11 the cutlery industry took a big hit and Wenger's sales eventually fell to the point where they went bankrupt and were almost bought out by a Chinese company, but not before Victorinox jumped in and bought out Wenger in order to keep the company in Swiss hands. So as of 2005, Wenger has been owned by Victorinox; however, Victorinox decided to keep Wenger operating under it's own brand name.

So in a sense they're all related, but are separate. Make sense?:-D

Keep in mind that Wenger is not a sub-brand of Victorinox. It's just another division and watches of both brands are very well made and of excellent quality.

Victorinox's watch site: http://www.victorinoxswissarmy.com/
    Wenger's watch site: http://www.wengerwatch.com/

Now, to complicate things even further. There is a watch company based in Quebec, Canada called the Wenger Watch Company (http://wengerwatch.ca/) and they also sell Swiss watches, but are not affiliated with Wenger of Switzerland or Victorinox. Because of the trademark conflict, Wenger of Switzerland has to sell their watches in Canada under the 'Swiss Military' brand. Just in case you ever come across a Wenger watch in the wild and want to know which one is which, they have different logos and fonts.

This is the shield and font used by Wenger of Switzerland:

This is the shield and font used by the Canadian Wenger company:
    Last edited by Viper; October 28th, 2006 at 02:51.
    NSK, vanzbrown and Formerguide like this.

OK, now... That last post was extremely informative!!!!

Thanks for that info, viper. That was like an encyclopedia-like, all-inclusive response! heh. :-D

I had no idea about the Canadian Wenger, but i'm sure i've come across those watches at some time or another...
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

Wenger is similar to Victorinox, but Wenger has lower prices from what i browse on the internet. Both brands are of similar quality and accuracy. I hope this helps. :D
    Last edited by BugsBunny1938; March 23rd, 2012 at 07:54.

Thread Information