Thread: Hublot MDM Depose Strap Question

Hublot MDM Depose Strap Question

I have a HUBLOT MDM Depose, which belonged to my dad, and have yet to wear it. The strap is really big and I am not sure of how to resize it. I went to the AD in Dubai and they said they cannot resize it and that I needed to order a new strap. The cost of a new strap is USD 215.

I am attaching pictures of the watch and need to know if I really need to buy a new strap or can this rubber strap be "cut down" to size.

Appreciate your help

IK

Last edited by coaspak; August 23rd, 2010 at 11:56. Reason: grammar!
    IK

Baume Mercier Classima Executives 8591 | Hublot MDM Depose | Rolex OysterDate Preicision | Omega Constellation | Steinhart Nav BUhr II Automatik | Steinhard Marine Chronometer | Tissot Le Locle Automatic | Tissot PRS516 | Casio G-Shock | Casio Protrek | Seiko 5 Sports Automatic | Seiko Titanium Chronograph | Akribos XXIV DaVinci | Stuhrling Symphony Maestro II | Ardath (model unknown)

Re: Hublot MDM Depose Strap Question

Unfortunately at some point you will have to purchase a new strap.

I had the same issue. The AD could cut the watch but they would have to drill holes into the rubber.

If you look at the watch as it is now, the rubber ends are re-enforced by a steel insert to make them stronger against the screws.

If you cut the watch yourself, you wont get any strength in the holes they drill and in a few years the strap could come off as the screws eat wear through the holes.

So either now or later you will need to go buy a strap. On the bright side it will fit you perfect and have a nice vanilla smell embedded in it.

hope this helps.
    a watch has metaphoric powers. It can function, for example, as a kind of [Self]-centric G.P.S. device. You put it on, and it gives you a lock on your own coordinates not just time but space and self.

-NY times article on John Mayers watch collection

The Collection So Far...

Zenith Elite Port Royal 39mm- Currently on GF
    Vintage Rolex Oyster Date 34mm
    Orient CFM00004W 43mm
    Bulova Day/Date quartz 34 mm
    Lum-tec M42 Automatic (Phantom)

Grails.
    IWC Big Pilot
    Breitling Transocean B01
    Zenith striking 10th
    Omega Seamaster GMT/Speedmaster
    Glashutte Original
    Rolex GMT Master IIc
    Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grand GMT
    and so many more....

While I don't have that watch or strap, I also can't see any way of adjusting the length of that strap without cutting it. Just how does one size that strap? I really doubt that one has to specify the exact size of one's wrist and the AD opens a drawer and pulls out one of 20 different sized straps to sell you.

I suspect that you cut the ends of that rubber strap to the correct length and then either attach the deployant or the end pieces...

Thank you gentleman for your replies.
    I agree with "HilltopMichael" that it is unlikely the AD would have strap on hand that fits exactly the way I want.

It is an odd watch indeed if I need to buy a new strap just so that it fits me right.

Now the question is do I really want to spend the money in getting a new strap or just let it lie there!!!!!
    IK

Baume Mercier Classima Executives 8591 | Hublot MDM Depose | Rolex OysterDate Preicision | Omega Constellation | Steinhart Nav BUhr II Automatik | Steinhard Marine Chronometer | Tissot Le Locle Automatic | Tissot PRS516 | Casio G-Shock | Casio Protrek | Seiko 5 Sports Automatic | Seiko Titanium Chronograph | Akribos XXIV DaVinci | Stuhrling Symphony Maestro II | Ardath (model unknown)

Actually I have Hublot with the same strap. You do have to order a strap custom sized.

unfortunately they don't have 20 straps lying in a drawer. They will have to order it from Hublot.

as I mentioned in my previous post, you may be able to get an AD to cut it. However not only is it going to be extremely difficult to get back into the slot so you can screw it in, you wont have the added security of the steel inserts to prevent the steel screws from eventually sawing through the rubber.
    a watch has metaphoric powers. It can function, for example, as a kind of [Self]-centric G.P.S. device. You put it on, and it gives you a lock on your own coordinates not just time but space and self.

-NY times article on John Mayers watch collection

The Collection So Far...

Zenith Elite Port Royal 39mm- Currently on GF
    Vintage Rolex Oyster Date 34mm
    Orient CFM00004W 43mm
    Bulova Day/Date quartz 34 mm
    Lum-tec M42 Automatic (Phantom)

Grails.
    IWC Big Pilot
    Breitling Transocean B01
    Zenith striking 10th
    Omega Seamaster GMT/Speedmaster
    Glashutte Original
    Rolex GMT Master IIc
    Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grand GMT
    and so many more....

Thanks for the update....not worth it in my opinion. I'll keep the watch because it was given to me by my father but I don't see the point in having to order a custom strap.

It may be a Hublot but its not worth it. Why the hell would they design such a watch?

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFiend1 View Post
    Actually I have Hublot with the same strap. You do have to order a strap custom sized.

unfortunately they don't have 20 straps lying in a drawer. They will have to order it from Hublot.

as I mentioned in my previous post, you may be able to get an AD to cut it. However not only is it going to be extremely difficult to get back into the slot so you can screw it in, you wont have the added security of the steel inserts to prevent the steel screws from eventually sawing through the rubber.
    IK

This is the old style (pre 2004) Hublot strap. The idea was that every watch was custom fitted exactly to your wrist. Every dealer had a strap case with all the different widths and lengths and it was part of the sales procedure to fit the watch to the customer, like a bespoke suit.

In 2004 when Jean-Claude Biver took over the company, the first thing he did was introduce a strap and deployant buckle that was adjustable in length easily and simply by the wearer of the watch.

Personally, while I appreciate the bespoke-ness (is that a word?) of the old system, I sure like the new system better.

I would ask your AD if they can order you the new style strap and buckle so that you can adjust it yourself and wear it any time.

Hello

i have a watch like this MDM Depose Chrograph. and my rubber Band is too short. Is it possible to change one with another? If the dimensions are good for each?

Thread Information