WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Hublot MDM Depose Strap Question

17K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Voicu Robert 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a HUBLOT MDM Depose, which belonged to my dad, and have yet to wear it. The strap is really big and I am not sure of how to resize it. I went to the AD in Dubai and they said they cannot resize it and that I needed to order a new strap. The cost of a new strap is USD 215.

I am attaching pictures of the watch and need to know if I really need to buy a new strap or can this rubber strap be "cut down" to size.

Appreciate your help

IK

See less See more
#2 ·
Unfortunately at some point you will have to purchase a new strap.

I had the same issue. The AD could cut the watch but they would have to drill holes into the rubber.

If you look at the watch as it is now, the rubber ends are re-enforced by a steel insert to make them stronger against the screws.

If you cut the watch yourself, you wont get any strength in the holes they drill and in a few years the strap could come off as the screws eat wear through the holes.

So either now or later you will need to go buy a strap. On the bright side it will fit you perfect and have a nice vanilla smell embedded in it. :-!

hope this helps.

#3 ·
While I don't have that watch or strap, I also can't see any way of adjusting the length of that strap without cutting it. Just how does one size that strap? I really doubt that one has to specify the exact size of one's wrist and the AD opens a drawer and pulls out one of 20 different sized straps to sell you.

I suspect that you cut the ends of that rubber strap to the correct length and then either attach the deployant or the end pieces...

#4 ·
Thank you gentleman for your replies.
I agree with "HilltopMichael" that it is unlikely the AD would have strap on hand that fits exactly the way I want.

It is an odd watch indeed if I need to buy a new strap just so that it fits me right.

Now the question is do I really want to spend the money in getting a new strap or just let it lie there!!!!!

#5 ·
Actually I have Hublot with the same strap. You do have to order a strap custom sized.

unfortunately they don't have 20 straps lying in a drawer. They will have to order it from Hublot.

as I mentioned in my previous post, you may be able to get an AD to cut it. However not only is it going to be extremely difficult to get back into the slot so you can screw it in, you wont have the added security of the steel inserts to prevent the steel screws from eventually sawing through the rubber.

#6 ·
Thanks for the update....not worth it in my opinion. I'll keep the watch because it was given to me by my father but I don't see the point in having to order a custom strap.

It may be a Hublot but its not worth it. Why the hell would they design such a watch?

#7 ·
This is the old style (pre 2004) Hublot strap. The idea was that every watch was custom fitted exactly to your wrist. Every dealer had a strap case with all the different widths and lengths and it was part of the sales procedure to fit the watch to the customer, like a bespoke suit.

In 2004 when Jean-Claude Biver took over the company, the first thing he did was introduce a strap and deployant buckle that was adjustable in length easily and simply by the wearer of the watch.

Personally, while I appreciate the bespoke-ness (is that a word?) of the old system, I sure like the new system better.

I would ask your AD if they can order you the new style strap and buckle so that you can adjust it yourself and wear it any time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.