I tell you what I like – please tell me where to look :) - Page 3
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: I tell you what I like – please tell me where to look :)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: I tell you what I like – please tell me where to look :)

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomThief View Post
    Attachment 8132010

My grail. Saved up for ages to get it, and have not looked back.

It's versatile, looks great on any strap, and all in all it's just great quality. Not sure if the 3570 is still around, though. I would think that they've mostly been replaced by the 311 with presentation box and extra goodies.

If you're unsure about the Speedy either try it in a boutique/AD or look for a used Speedy in good condition and give it a try. Then if you decide that you don't like it, you can sell it off for a minimal loss.
    I see you have a new watches. Would you suggest to get a 311... ? I felt in love with the Omega nato strap, which is ridiculously expensive. But the price difference between the best offer for a 2 years old 3570 and brand new 311... is $600...

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    To me, there's no better looking chrono than the speedy pro. Even without the history I'd love it too. Get one, enjoy it, and forget about the rest. I'd buy as close to new as possible so that you aren't stuck with an $800 service bill right away. Gently used let's you avoid the big depreciation hit right out of the gate, but maximizes longevity until it may encounter mechanical issues. I'd try to locate one that's a few years old but will has a bit of warranty left on it.
    thanx! Do you think a 3 years old speedy is a good choice? The price is good, but there is no international warranty and in 2 years it probably need a check at service. Does it makes sense? Or better to get a new one from GM dealer with 2 years international warranty?

speedy , great choice , you cannot go wrong with that choice .If you like Chronos , you also might look at Zenith with it iconic El Primero Chronomaster .... Name:  IMG_2992.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  2.30 MBName:  IMG_2983.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  1.14 MB
    Stas likes this.
    * Seiko sport 100 moon phase * Tissot T classic LeLocle * Oris diver TT1 * Baume&Mercier Riviera quartz * Omega geneve * Orient bambino * Rotary Ocean Avenger Quartz * Chopard mille miglia quartz chrono * Movado museum quartz * Montblanc Profile XL automatic * Sinn triple calendar moonphase chrono 6015 * Zenith el primero chronometer 410 * JLC Master control hometime * Parmigiani Fleurier Kalpa hebdomadaire

Yes, I did get the new 311. Personally, I've always loved the Speedmaster, because it looks damned good and you can't match it for history. I loved it even before I had started collecting watches, before I even really knew what a Speedmaster was. I just knew it was a really cool looking watch. So when I did start collecting watches, that was my grail. I collected mostly lower end dive watches and a couple of vintage Seikos, which I also loved, but what I really wanted was a Speedmaster. But at the time, I had just started working and the Speedmaster was pretty far out of my price range.

I had just recently come into a promotion, and I wanted to get a nice watch to commemorate it. At first I was looking at the Tudor Black Bay, which is also a superb watch and fit into my budget of around $3000. I started a thread here on WUS, and at one point I mentioned that the Speedmaster was my grail watch. At the point, the members here were almost unanimous: I should save up a little bit more and stretch my budget for it, rather than wasting it on the BB. And the more I thought about it, the more I realised that they were right.

Then I weighed my options, whether or not I should get it from a boutique/AD, GM or used. Practically, it boils down to the warranty. Through the boutique/AD, they'll definitely have you covered. Through GM, you could have some trouble with the warranty, as they don't have official warranties. And obviously you'll be on your own with a used one.

But what was more important to me was that this was a watch that means a lot to me. It was commemorating a pretty big event in my life, perhaps the biggest so far. And so I decided I want the full experience. I want something new, I want something that only I have worn, and I wanted it with all the goodies reminds the nerd in me why I fell in love with the watch in the first place. And so I decided to go for the Speedy 311.

I did manage to get a pretty good price from the AD, and I have absolutely no regrets. The presentation box is awesome, and everything is just well done. The book on the history of the watch is very nicely done. The NATO strap in particular is the softest, most comfortable NATO strap I have ever seen/worn in my life. And the extra springbars, strap changing tool and loupe are great too.

All in all, I have absolutely no regrets about getting a brand new 311. Some people may disagree, and many prefer the 3570 that came in the plain red box, because it came cheaper. I totally understand their point. But for me, the extra money spent was well worth it for the experience it gave me with my very first higher end watch. It was my biggest purchase so far, it marked a big step in my life, and it truly lived up to all my expectations and then some.

But whether or not it is right for you, that depends on you. All my reasons are unreasonable, because this was a purely emotional buy for me. So think about it, and if you feel the same way, I can promise you you won't regret it. But if you don't, then save the money and go used.

TL;DR: bought it because I love it, no regrets. But it all depends on whether or not you like it too.

Some pics to sway you, because I can

Name:  20160518_164123.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  234.6 KB
    Name:  20160513_235321.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  227.9 KB
    Name:  20160512_011951.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  484.0 KB
    Name:  20160506_151838.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  441.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Stas View Post
    I see you have a new watches. Would you suggest to get a 311... ? I felt in love with the Omega nato strap, which is ridiculously expensive. But the price difference between the best offer for a 2 years old 3570 and brand new 311... is $600...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomThief View Post
    Yes, I did get the new 311. Personally, I've always loved the Speedmaster, because it looks damned good and you can't match it for history. I loved it even before I had started collecting watches, before I even really knew what a Speedmaster was. I just knew it was a really cool looking watch. So when I did start collecting watches, that was my grail. I collected mostly lower end dive watches and a couple of vintage Seikos, which I also loved, but what I really wanted was a Speedmaster. But at the time, I had just started working and the Speedmaster was pretty far out of my price range.

I had just recently come into a promotion, and I wanted to get a nice watch to commemorate it. At first I was looking at the Tudor Black Bay, which is also a superb watch and fit into my budget of around $3000. I started a thread here on WUS, and at one point I mentioned that the Speedmaster was my grail watch. At the point, the members here were almost unanimous: I should save up a little bit more and stretch my budget for it, rather than wasting it on the BB. And the more I thought about it, the more I realised that they were right.

Then I weighed my options, whether or not I should get it from a boutique/AD, GM or used. Practically, it boils down to the warranty. Through the boutique/AD, they'll definitely have you covered. Through GM, you could have some trouble with the warranty, as they don't have official warranties. And obviously you'll be on your own with a used one.

But what was more important to me was that this was a watch that means a lot to me. It was commemorating a pretty big event in my life, perhaps the biggest so far. And so I decided I want the full experience. I want something new, I want something that only I have worn, and I wanted it with all the goodies reminds the nerd in me why I fell in love with the watch in the first place. And so I decided to go for the Speedy 311.

I did manage to get a pretty good price from the AD, and I have absolutely no regrets. The presentation box is awesome, and everything is just well done. The book on the history of the watch is very nicely done. The NATO strap in particular is the softest, most comfortable NATO strap I have ever seen/worn in my life. And the extra springbars, strap changing tool and loupe are great too.

All in all, I have absolutely no regrets about getting a brand new 311. Some people may disagree, and many prefer the 3570 that came in the plain red box, because it came cheaper. I totally understand their point. But for me, the extra money spent was well worth it for the experience it gave me with my very first higher end watch. It was my biggest purchase so far, it marked a big step in my life, and it truly lived up to all my expectations and then some.

But whether or not it is right for you, that depends on you. All my reasons are unreasonable, because this was a purely emotional buy for me. So think about it, and if you feel the same way, I can promise you you won't regret it. But if you don't, then save the money and go used.

TL;DR: bought it because I love it, no regrets. But it all depends on whether or not you like it too.

Some pics to sway you, because I can

Name:  20160518_164123.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  234.6 KB
    Name:  20160513_235321.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  227.9 KB
    Name:  20160512_011951.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  484.0 KB
    Name:  20160506_151838.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  441.2 KB
    WOW, thank you so much! This is so interesting, I started this thread mentioning different people and different tastes, but right now I'm looking for my very first high end watch and I decided on Speedy and was looking at the Tudor Black Bay before as well :) I like speedy much more, but when after some time I'll want a diver watch, I think I'll get a Tudor as well.

This is also so much about experience for me... If I think of the watches I want to own for at least decade or more, the price difference (new vs used) makes no sense at all. Also personally, I can not stand visible scuffs and scratches and trying to be very careful with things I own (for instance when I upgrade my phones after a few years it looking almost brand new). So I imagine, if I get a new watch and it gets worn after some time and it may get some marks, it will be my story, not somebody else's. So I agree, the new watches will make the first experience much richer. If I'll be luck and the quality will be good.

So thank you so much for this :)

No problem, I'm glad my experience can be of some help. If you ask me, you sound like you're pretty keen on a new watch too :)

If you're interested, you can check out the thread I posted on here asking for help on deciding what watch to get. It's pretty long, but there are some really great pieces of advice in there that could apply to you as well. Especially since I was deciding between the Black Bay and the Speedy as well.

First "Luxury" Watch

WOW, thank you so much! This is so interesting, I started this thread mentioning different people and different tastes, but right now I'm looking for my very first high end watch and I decided on Speedy and was looking at the Tudor Black Bay before as well :) I like speedy much more, but when after some time I'll want a diver watch, I think I'll get a Tudor as well.

This is also so much about experience for me... If I think of the watches I want to own for at least decade or more, the price difference (new vs used) makes no sense at all. Also personally, I can not stand visible scuffs and scratches and trying to be very careful with things I own (for instance when I upgrade my phones after a few years it looking almost brand new). So I imagine, if I get a new watch and it gets worn after some time and it may get some marks, it will be my story, not somebody else's. So I agree, the new watches will make the first experience much richer. If I'll be luck and the quality will be good.

So thank you so much for this :)
    Stas likes this.

thanx! Do you think a 3 years old speedy is a good choice? The price is good, but there is no international warranty and in 2 years it probably need a check at service. Does it makes sense? Or better to get a new one from GM dealer with 2 years international warranty?
    Mine is currently 5 years old with no issues *knocks on wood* so I think you could probably go longer but yes, a three year old watch purchased from AD would be good but if you can get a grey market one brand new for the same price then I'd do that since neither will be under warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    Mine is currently 5 years old with no issues *knocks on wood* so I think you could probably go longer but yes, a three year old watch purchased from AD would be good but if you can get a grey market one brand new for the same price then I'd do that since neither will be under warranty
    you can always get extended warranty too - how can you lose???
    Toothbras likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    you can always get extended warranty too - how can you lose???
    My dealer was kind enough to throw in a polishing cloth, spring bar tool, and powder blue crayola crayon
    Gunnar_917 likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information