I tell you what I like – please tell me where to look :)
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: I tell you what I like – please tell me where to look :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I tell you what I like – please tell me where to look :)

Hi there,

This is not another post from “what shall I buy” series :)
    I know, different people has different tastes. And everybody should make their own decisions. But I believe still, most of the watch owners follow more-less the same patterns. It starts with some specific model, then tastes are changing, knowledge (and understanding of the value) is growing and so on…
    So I wanted to start this thread just to hear your story and maybe advice.

Chronographs are my weakness. They look busy… but functionally busy :) My father owned a vintage Chronographe Suisse – the first watches I saw. Now I want to purchase my first ‘real’ watch. I’m looking for a keeper. I decided it will be Omega Speedmaster Professional, ref. 3570.50. Not because of the Moon history (but I like the story anyway). I like the design and the price is affordable. I love how it looks on vintage leather and nato straps!

But more research I do, more watches I see and like.
    Some of them:
    Rolex "Paul Newman" Daytona (with the back bezel) ~ ha ha
    Jaeger 4 ATM Chronograph
    Heuer Autavia ref. 2446
    Breitling Chrono-Matic, Ref. 2110
    Omega Speedmaster Pro vintage

Daytona – I believe not in this life time :) Other look closer to my reality. But still far above my budget… Breitling cost less than speedy, but maybe a bit too funky as the daily watch.
    Maybe there are people with similar taste could suggest some other which I do not know yet?

Would you suggest to buy speedy 3570.50 now ? And add some other in the future? But I’m not sure if I’ll enjoy to own and maintain more than 1-2 chronographs. Or should I look (and save) for some vintage chrono instead of buying 3570.50 now? Or to try to look for a vintage speedy?
    Also, do you think to have a vintage chronograph as a daily watch is a good idea? Considering also the service cost.

I appreciate your advice.

Thanks!

Re: I tell you what I like – please tell me where to look :)

Name:  20160510_162659.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  268.9 KB

My grail. Saved up for ages to get it, and have not looked back.

It's versatile, looks great on any strap, and all in all it's just great quality. Not sure if the 3570 is still around, though. I would think that they've mostly been replaced by the 311 with presentation box and extra goodies.

If you're unsure about the Speedy either try it in a boutique/AD or look for a used Speedy in good condition and give it a try. Then if you decide that you don't like it, you can sell it off for a minimal loss.
    okcmco and Stas like this.

To me, there's no better looking chrono than the speedy pro. Even without the history I'd love it too. Get one, enjoy it, and forget about the rest. I'd buy as close to new as possible so that you aren't stuck with an $800 service bill right away. Gently used let's you avoid the big depreciation hit right out of the gate, but maximizes longevity until it may encounter mechanical issues. I'd try to locate one that's a few years old but will has a bit of warranty left on it.
    Stas likes this.

I think you should get the speedy. In the chrono category it ticks all the boxes: history, versatility, great movement, etc. Plus if you buy new you get a warranty.
    Stas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomThief View Post
    Name:  20160510_162659.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  268.9 KB

My grail. Saved up for ages to get it, and have not looked back.

It's versatile, looks great on any strap, and all in all it's just great quality. Not sure if the 3570 is still around, though. I would think that they've mostly been replaced by the 311 with presentation box and extra goodies.

If you're unsure about the Speedy either try it in a boutique/AD or look for a used Speedy in good condition and give it a try. Then if you decide that you don't like it, you can sell it off for a minimal loss.
    Thanks! I had it on my wrist a few days back :) I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Toothbras View Post
    To me, there's no better looking chrono than the speedy pro. Even without the history I'd love it too. Get one, enjoy it, and forget about the rest. I'd buy as close to new as possible so that you aren't stuck with an $800 service bill right away. Gently used let's you avoid the big depreciation hit right out of the gate, but maximizes longevity until it may encounter mechanical issues. I'd try to locate one that's a few years old but will has a bit of warranty left on it.
    Yep this - Speedy Pro is a killer of a watch, especially when you put it on leather like this (okay so my opinion may be biased):

The new ceramic Daytona also ticks a lot of boxes for me. I LOVE it in black on black. Given the wait lists I'm, pretty sure the kids I'm yet to have will reach puberty before I get one of these.

Lastly, given the Paul Newman is on your list I'll also suggest to look at an Alpha Paul Newman (unless you have about $100k in your bank account - for watches). It's about $300 and looks the part, very well. If it breaks just go buy a new one. Here's mine but I've removed it from its bracelet and put it on a fat strap:
    Last edited by Gunnar_917; May 16th, 2016 at 15:37.
    Toothbras and Stas like this.

Shoot for the Moon!
    Stas likes this.

I have a weakness for vintage (and vintage-style) chronographs also. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a Speedmaster. However, I would also go on record and say that a well-maintained vintage chrono could easily make a daily wearer. One more option you might like to consider would be the forthcoming Heuer Autavia reissue, although you'll have to wait till 2017 for that...
    Autavia Cup Winner- Introducing the 2017 TAG Heuer Autavia Re-edition | The Home of TAG Heuer Collectors

My current selection:

2010s...
    Name:  DSCF2013.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  176.0 KB
    1990s...
    Name:  DSCF1655.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  196.4 KB
    1970s...
    Name:  DSCF1494b.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  171.6 KB
    Ottski44, eblackmo and marcopolo05 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    Yep this - Speedy Pro is a killer of a watch, especially when you put it on leather like this (okay so my opinion may be biased):

Where can I find that strap?

Quote Originally Posted by imagwai View Post
    I have a weakness for vintage (and vintage-style) chronographs also. I don't think you'll be disappointed with a Speedmaster. However, I would also go on record and say that a well-maintained vintage chrono could easily make a daily wearer. One more option you might like to consider would be the forthcoming Heuer Autavia reissue, although you'll have to wait till 2017 for that...
    Autavia Cup Winner- Introducing the 2017 TAG Heuer Autavia Re-edition | The Home of TAG Heuer Collectors

My current selection:

2010s...
    Name:  DSCF2013.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  176.0 KB
    1990s...
    Name:  DSCF1655.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  196.4 KB
    1970s...
    Name:  DSCF1494b.jpg
Views: 331