JLC or IWC?

• JLC MUT Moon 39

Votes: 39 78.0%
  • IWC 5001-07

Votes: 11 22.0%

Jaeger LeCoultre MUT Moon 39 VS. IWC Portuguese 5001-07

8K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  BusyTimmy 
#1 · (Edited)
I think I've settled on selling my SubC for one of these since my preferences have changed a bit, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one, as they are both almost equally gorgeous. It would serve as my daily wearer.
Would love to hear some opinions |>

(other suggestions for watches of this type also welcome)

#7 ·
Didn't even need the pictures to know the JLC is the correct, and only, choice. Any MUT is great and this one manages to have a moonphase and pointer date complications that do not clutter the dial; the JLC's movement is far superior to the IWC; modern IWC are so oversized they're best for strapping on your thigh instead of your wrist.

#8 ·
Both are nice, but I'd go for the JLC. I am very fond of thin watches.

Reactions: BusyTimmy
#11 ·
Both are very nice, I'd give the edge to the JLC. Keep in mind the IWC wears very large, much larger than the JLC.

Reactions: acello27
#14 ·
The IWC Portuguese. I actually like that JLC, which is not something I usually say. I'm not a big fan of most of JLC's designs, but this one is nice. And personally I'd pick a different Portuguese. But it's hard to pass up the heritage and general look of the Portuguese.

#15 ·
For the IWC Portuguese, I prefer the older 3714 model. But, even compared to this, I prefer the JLC Master Ultrathin Moon, which is a truly beautiful watch.

#16 ·
These two watches are so, so different from one anther.
I own the JLC and have often considered the IWC 5001-07. I'd have both, except the IWC does not fit my wrist. I've tried it a few times now. They're both fantastic, with the IWC being probably a little more versatile. The JLC is quite dressy and easily my favourite attainable JLC piece. I prefer it to the annual and perpetual calendar and I've never been a huge fan of JLC sports watches in general.

If you can, keep the Sub. It's just about the perfect complement to the Master Ultrathin Moon 39, a truly special piece. : )

#19 ·
When I saw the Portuguese auto in person I realised that it is not a dress watch - it's almost pure sport, smart/casual. There is nothing dressy about it. The JLC is completely different. This thread might as well be about the SubC vs JLC.

Reactions: flyingpicasso
#21 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. To be honest I'm leaning more towards the IWC at the moment. I really like the JLC but I have a feeling it might be too dressy for daily wear. Haven't seen it live though as I have with the IWC, so I should probably source an AD where I can try them both on.

#23 ·
Smart move. That Port Auto overwhelms my wrist, though it's beauty is undeniable (front and back). It's just too big, too thick. If you try it on and love the fit, and don't care about super-accurate timekeeping then I think you have a winner.

If it were my choice I would get the JLC without hesitation for fit reasons alone, say nothing of the looks and movement of the JLC. It does lean more dressy, though, which could be an issue if you want it to handle the same duty as your Sub.

#22 ·
JLC - The watch maker's watch maker.
IWC has turned into a very gimmicky brand that I no longer follow.

#24 ·
Count me in on the JLC. Its been on my want list since it came out a few years ago.
I've seen it in person and although it wears a bit big on the wrist its definitely a dress watch. You can always wear it more casually, but it looks like it would stand out with jeans/polo.

#26 ·
My preference would be for the JLC for a variety of reasons, but your point is well taken, it may be too dressy as a daily wearer. That said, I think it is easier to wear a dressy watch casually than it might seem at first consideration. And that particular JLC is dressy in a clean way, but I do not think it would be excluded from casual wear. It's not as if it has roman numerals...

#27 ·
You could also dress the JLC down with a brown strap. I know a member here has done that and it's an interesting look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.