JLC - SIHH 2017
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AAMC
  • 1 Post By drhr

Thread: JLC - SIHH 2017

JLC - SIHH 2017

looks like no one cares about the SIHH in here...anyway...IWC is releasing the Da Vinci Collection, AP has new ROC and ROO with neon colors...Montblanc as a black Timewalker Chrono, B&M has a new Diver...Panerai has...uhm....whatever they do....

the one thing that got my attention is that JLC is releasing a new Master Control line...

Re: JLC - SIHH 2017

Nice indeed. I also like the AP ceramic however !

Envoyé de mon LG-H815 en utilisant Tapatalk

I care about SIHH, but I don't necessarily feel the need to start a thread about it. Interesting look for those JLC, I hope there will be articles with more details and better pics.
    Jaeger Lecoultre Master Grande Ultra Thin Date, Bucherer Edition
    Rolex
    Sea Dweller 4000, ref 116600 / Datejust, ref 116234 / Milgauss, ref 116400
    Longines Conquest Heritage 1954-2014 (#13 of 60)
    Grand Seiko SBGA011 / SBGV005
    Seiko SBBN015
    Sinn 140 A (#087 of 500)
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 8500
    + others...

I've seen the new JLCs on their website- the new dial went into three models (MC Date, Master Chronograph, Master Geographic), looks like it.

First of all, I've really got to commend them for the "sector dial" design, an obvious nod to 1940s designs (although sector dials were around earlier, likely since the mid 1930s). The 1940s and 1950s are easily my favourite era in watch design, so... Well, the sector dials were around actually earlier than that- here, for example, a vintage Omega advertisement, likely from the late 1930s:
    Name:  omegadriverad.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  103.0 KB
    Sector dials were found on watches by a variety of brands, from Tissot all the way to Patek Philippe. Hope one day I will be able to get my hands on a sector dial...
    That said, good job, JLC, your new dials got me drooling.
    I'm not sure if the new JLCs have domed crystals, but in the pictures, it looks like they might- even if not, they still look good. Maybe except one thing, on which I will elaborate next.

Second, I really have to chew them out for the hands. Some call these hands "baton", some call them "pencil-style" (technically, they differ from a baton with the elongated tip, but the name "pencil hands" as such isn't used by any manufacturer). The thing is, that without lume, they look as if someone removed the lume from a vintage watch, or installed an incorrect set of hands. If they would have used, for example, blued feuille (leaf) or dauphine- hell, even blued "stick", then I would easily call these JLCs some of this year's best novelties, even before Baselworld- because I would be convinced to the death of me, that nothing will beat these vintage looks.
    A rather bad choice of hands in a JLC comes as a slight disappointment, since in the 1940s, JLC made some watches with what I could call the most beautiful sword hands I've ever seen- and what would be wrong in reintroducing them? Has anyone ever seen a JLC with properly bad hands before? Like, ever? I surely didn't. Until now.
    Collection: Edox Les Vauberts Open Heart(2012), Zenith Sporto(1969), Zenith(1948), Eterna(1952), Omega De Ville(1975),
    Tissot Antimagnetique(1939), Tissot Antimagnetique(1950), Tissot Visodate Camping(1957), Doxa Anti-Magnetique(1950), Certina Club 2000(c.1975-1977), Turler/Roamer(1948), Caravelle(1972), Start(1958), Raketa(1967), Atlantic Seabreeze quartz(2007), Atlantic Silverstreak(1972)

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Go ahead, make my day.
    Inspector Harry Callahan

What is the face of a coward? The back of his head, as he runs from the battle.
    Francis J. "Frank" Underwood

I believe in speed, power. Power and speed solve many things.
    Jeremy Clarkson

Thankfully nothing interesting so far. . .
    mpalmer likes this.
    A.Lange & Sohne * Blancpain * Cartier * Invicta * Jaeger LeCoultre * ochs und junior * Rolex * Tudor

"the deeper the roots, the higher the reach", author unknown

“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.”, Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by AAMC View Post
    looks like no one cares about the SIHH in here...anyway...
    I didn't care, until I read this passive aggressive comment. Now I care too much.

Seriously though, those Master Controls you've posted are quite nice looking. AP has thrown out a *ton* of new stuff too. I'm supremely disappointed with the placement of the date window on their new ROC models, though. Nothing I've seen from Lange or Vacheron has gotten me excited, either.
    Glashütte Original Senator Observer | Rolex GMT-II 116710-BLNR | Panerai 00524 Flyback Chronograph | Magrette Dual Time

I think I like them but I have to process this new style of hands. From the original pics it looked like the hands were black & I thought it was a miss, but on the website you can see they are blue & maybe kind of interesting? Or maybe too small?

I think it is good that they made the Master Control look different than the Master Ultra Thin & the price of the MC Date seems to have come down quite a bit.
    Last edited by p_mcgee; January 16th, 2017 at 17:39.

I've been studying them for about a week now. Decided I like the sector dial enough to put in an order, JLC says to expect July delivery. Looking forward to it, will be sure to post pics here once I get it.

Thread Information