Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Low Down on Hamilton Watches

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Low Down on Hamilton Watches

These seem like nice watches. Are they Swiss made or American made...or made in China?

Thanks for any info on this brand.

Re: Low Down on Hamilton Watches

Historically, Hamilton was an American brand. Today they are one of the mid-level brands owned by Swatch Group, comparable to Tissot. They present a good value because they are fairly affordable, yet are 'Swiss Made' and feature robust and reliable ETA movements. They are easy to find at retailers or online, often at notable discounts.

http://www.swatchgroup.com/brands/mi...icked=hamilton
    http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/webapp/en%2Dus/
    Last edited by nderwater; November 16th, 2007 at 01:48.
    (I'd rather be driving)

I have been a fan of Hamilton watches for quite some time and this is what I've found out recently. Hamiltons are great watches, great value for the money, very good quality and very consistent in their manufacturing. I noticed that not all Hamiltons say "Swiss Made" on them, which most likely means those particular watches are not assembled in Switzerland. I would not know where that would be. I would venture somewhere in Asia, where the costs are typically the lowest. Most of their automatic movements say "Swiss" in them which means the movement is sourced in Switzerland and supplied by Swatch. Not sure about the source for quartz movements.

Bottom line to me, it really does not matter where the watch is eventually assembled and how much Swiss content it has, as long as the value is there and it is the style I like, it would rate high on my purchase list.

I purchased two Hamilton watches, they are excellent value for money. Oh, both of them 'Swiss Made' :)
    Bell & Ross Instrument - with lots of straps
    Hamilton
    Tag Heuer
    Steinhart Nav B-Uhr
    Breitling Avenger Skyland

My leather works blog: http://pedsnro.blogspot.com/

I was never a huge fan of Hamilton watches, until several years ago. Now, I think Hamilton offers some excelent chronographs that are fantastic values. I particularly like the X-Wind and Khaki automatic chronographs.

Whoever has been doing Hamilton's designs for the past several years is really on the ball. I've never seen a company that produced what I considered "ho-hum" but decent watches for decades start producing watches that I find very intriguing. In fact, I intend to purchase one of the above when I can find a good deal on a decent used one.

I would echo all of the above, and emphasize the fact fact that one of the best things about the brand is that they are available, much like Tissot, at many grey market online sellers, the only difference being that you get an in-house warranty v. the manufacturer's warranty. The gamble being that these sellers will be around long enough to honor said warranty. I think it's well worth the risk considering how much you can save (usually 25-40%). I know that statement will catch some flack from fans of purchasing from an AD, but I'd stand by it.

Seiko SKXA53

Citizen NY0040
    Citizen NY2300
    Hamilton Khaki
    Wenger Terragraph
    Casio GW-5600

Another benefit of Hamilton and similar entry- to mid-level mechanical watches is that they routinely feature movements which are reliable, widely available, and not particularly difficult or expensive for your area watch smith to repair.
    (I'd rather be driving)

Quote Originally Posted by 99Reza View Post
    I purchased two Hamilton watches, they are excellent value for money. Oh, both of them 'Swiss Made' :)
    It seems that the Hamiltons sold in the US do not routinely have "Swiss Made" on the dials but that doesn't mean they weren't made in Switzerland. (If it doesn't say Swiss Made on the front, check the caseback - it may be written there.)

This is because American consumers are a fairly patriotic lot and may or may not be under the illusion that Hamilton is still a US brand through and through. In this case, having "Swiss Made" on the front of the watch could reduce its appeal, not enhance it.

To compare, search for any Hamilton sold by a US dealer online, and then seek the same watch sold by a European or Asian dealer.

My Hamilton says "Swiss made" on the dial. It's a Khaki Field Mechanical model H69619533, 44mm, 22mm lugs and an ETA 6497 movement. It has a seconds sub dial (non hacking) at 9 o'clock and a non screw down crown though its stated WR is 100m. Lume could be better but with a good charge it lasts through the night for me. Fit and finish (satin stainless) are excellent and the watch feels substantial while not being too heavy or thick (11.5mm). I've owned the watch for 4 months and it consistently runs less than 7 sec/day fast. Retail price is $545 with 2 year factory warranty. I got mine on the bay for $360.

I wear it on a desert tan Zulu though it came on a brown convertible Bund style strap. It looks good on anything. If this watch is representative of Hamilton quality in general, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Hamilton watch regardless of where it was actually made. Hope this helps.
    Current baker's dozen favorites:
    AirNautic Early Bird 24hr #20;
    Bathys Black Aquaculture;Casio MDV-102-1AVCF; Citizen Eco-Zilla SS; Corvus Bradley #44; Hamilton Field Mechanical 44mm; Helson Sharkdiver #100;
    Luminox 8202; OCEAN7 LM-1LE 41/150; LM-3V2B #26; LM-7 #7; Seiko SKX007K2; Squale 50 ATMOS: Victorinox Garrison; + about 20 more
    Incoming: NADA

I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence.- Garry Trudeau
    Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts. - Lt. "Mac" McReynolds

I'm also a recent fan of Hamiltons - you get a very competent watch for the price, being swiss made and built quality. I'm happy with mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information