Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Lume Test: Ball EMII Diver, Seiko Monster, Luminox. (MANY pics)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Lume Test: Ball EMII Diver, Seiko Monster, Luminox. (MANY pics)

Hi everyone,

I said in another post that I wanted to do a lume test, but it was kind of off topic for that post, so I'll put the results up here instead. Hope that's ok.

I've got a Luminox 3100, a Seiko Black Monster, and a Ball Engineer Master II Diver. I don't know why the lume from the Monster looks blue in most photos, it really is green, I think the white balance on my camera was a little off, sorry.

Also, just wanted to add a little note: This test was designed to compare the brightness of the Monster lume to Tritium tubes over time, to get a rough idea of how long the lume stays brighter than tritium, how long it stays at about the same level, and to study how it fades after.

I started on the hour, so it's easy to tell how far into the test you are, simply by looking at how many minutes past the hour it is on the watches. The pictures were taken at roughly 2.5 minute intervals.

These are the watches used in the test:

Start:

2.5mins

5mins

7.5mins

10mins

12.5mins

15mins

17.5mins

20mins

22.5mins

25mins

27.5mins

30mins

32.5mins

35mins

37.5mins

After that, I had to go out for dinner. When I came back about 3 hours later, this was the situation. (I assure you the Black Monster is still in between the other two watches)

Last edited by imtrbo; September 4th, 2007 at 07:56. Reason: Added little note about the test.
    gaijin, earcutter and iggy-th like this.
    Regards,
    - TY -

Re: Lume Test: Ball EMII Diver, Seiko Monster, Luminox. (MANY pics)

Good test, thanks.

Interesting that the Seiko starts out quite green on my monitor and becomes progressively more blue as time goes by. That, plus the Seiko's disappearing act as the time progresses.
    RΩGER

Ωmega SeM Aqua Terra Ref: 231.10.42.21.06.001
    Ωmega SpMP Moonwatch Ref: 3570.50
    Ωmega Black Dial SeMP Ref: 2254.50
    Ωmega "Electric Blue" SeMP Ref: 2255.80
    Ωmega BA Chrono 1957 Ref: 321.10.42.50.02.001
    MKII LRRP01-1 UTC Capstone Bezel
    Seiko White Knight SKXA47K1

Tritium vs regular lume!! Good work!

Excellent work sir! Your test confirms what I've been seeing with my watches. My sumo fades well within the hour after being in the dark (but its so bright just after being charged). I highly appreciate the time and effort you took to work on this project.

The tritium watches are easy to see early am & when your eyes are already adjusted to the dark! I have an h3 with blue tubes and it's the nicest to look at early morning when waking up before dawn.

PS. This is also a good illustration of creative use of tubes by Ball.
    Last edited by Peahi; August 31st, 2007 at 16:59. Reason: more comments

Great post.... very interesting! I have a horrible time trying to take clear lume shots but you sir, seem to have mastered it very well.

Execellent Work ! Very much appreciated.

Wow! I heard some disappointing info on the tritium tubes but your test tells a different story. The tritium tubes look the same in the last picture as they do in the first. Are there large differences in the tritium tubes between different brands (i.e. Marathon vs Luminox)?

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :thanks

beamon - Sorry, I think the white balance of my camera was incorrectly set, which made the Monster look blue. It's actually green the whole time.

Peahi - Yup I love those tritium tubes, always nice and bright. And yes, Ball makes very creative use of the tubes, I love their designs! Just wish I could afford more!

Mrs Obie - Thanks, I think for basic lume shots, you would need just two things on your camera (macro function, and long shutter setting). The macro function to focus closely on the face of the watch, and a long shutter to let more light into the camera, so you capture the glow. Oh and something to hold the camera very steady.

dsmithjr - I think many people are disappointed with tritium tubes because they expect it to be as bright as freshly charged Superluminova. The truth is it's not. But it's still very bright and legible in the dark, and it stays at that brightness constantly! The reason they look the same from start to end is because they don't fade. Well ok, technically it fades very slowly over many years. It would take the tritium tubes about 12.5 years to get to half brightness (the monster in my test did it in about 20mins i think..)
    With regard to brands, those that use tritium tubes produced by MB-Microtec should be of good quality. I know Ball, Traser, and Luminox use those. I'm not sure about Marathon but I think they also use MBM tubes. I've also read that there are other companies out there who use tubes of inferior quality, so be careful (just telling you what I've read).
    Regards,
    - TY -

test seeing is believing

V8

That is my favorite Ball watch.

Good test.
    MOTORCITYWATCHWORKS

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

It would take quite a long term photo shoot till one sees the tubes watches begin to fade
    theprat likes this.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. March 13th, 2011, 17:24

Thread Information