Thread: Manual wind watch with second hand hacking sub $500

Manual wind watch with second hand hacking sub $500

Hi folks,

Do you know of any manual wind watches with a hacked or hackable second hand in the sub $500 range? Ideally 40-42mm.

I was looking at the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 40mm (h69519533). It's got an ETA 2804 movement which I've read is hackable BUT I've also heard that this watch is extremely loud. Can anyone that owns or has tried this watch comment?

Re: Manual wind watch with second hand hacking sub $500

The Hamilton Khaki Mechanical is not at all loud unless you consider all modern manual/automatic mechanical watches loud. If you want loud, listen to an antique pocket watch. I highly recommend the Hamilton Khaki Mechanical, a great value and in my experience, accurate. Mine is currently +4 sec./day.

Thanks Ron, I'm really glad to hear that because I think other than being potentially overly loud I would really enjoy this watch. Have you tried hacking the seconds hand?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Marathon Field watch....
    Parit enim conversatio contemptum; raritas conciliat admirationem.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ctilly View Post
    Hi folks,Do you know of any manual wind watches with a hacked or hackable second hand in the sub $500 range? Ideally 40-42mm.I was looking at the Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical 40mm (h69519533). It's got an ETA 2804 movement which I've read is hackable BUT I've also heard that this watch is extremely loud. Can anyone that owns or has tried this watch comment?
    I doubt that any of the modern ETA watch movements could be considered loud. Audible if you lay one on a glass topped table or hold it to ones ear but that's about it. I think you are right to look for watches using a 2804 movement. In addition to Hamilton I've seen watches from Revue, Rotary and Atlantic that use the 2804 movement. If you expand your search to recent used models there should be lots to choose from.

Thread Information