Maurice Lacroix in Las Vegas - An iPhone report
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bhanu Chopra
  • 1 Post By ajbutler13

Thread: Maurice Lacroix in Las Vegas - An iPhone report

Watchuseek Journalist Bhanu Chopra's Avatar

Maurice Lacroix in Las Vegas - An iPhone report

Last weekend was the JCK jewelry and watch event in Vegas. Maurice Lacroix hosted a unique, interactive dinner and presentation of their watches with Sandro Riginelli, who is the mastermind behind unique designs of their watches.

Name:  photo (47).JPG
Views: 299
Size:  200.9 KB

I have to be honest that even though I was aware of Maurice Lacroix brand and few of the watches they offered, I did not understand the brand very well. Few year back, I had tried the Decentrique GMT in their Kuala Lumpur boutique in Star Hill gallery and quiet liked it. In fact, Sandro had won a Red Dot award for the design of Decentrique watch. Sandro explained his design ideas very passionately. When you look at ML's Masterpeice collection, you will notice the play with symmetry and optics (illusion). For example, the rotating square wheel or the floating design of Gravity.

Name:  photo (56).JPG
Views: 343
Size:  155.0 KB

ML also does not take itself too seriously and presents itself has fun brand, kind of the way Nomos does with tongue-in-cheek humor. ML is also not trying to be the mid-level brand with astronomical complications or presenting itself as Breguet or AP. ML takes a normal watch design and infuses creativity to make it more interesting for the wearer, and yet in crazy world of escalating prices keeping it affordable.

Name:  photo (48).JPG
Views: 290
Size:  195.0 KB

Hartmut Kraft (also known as Mr. H), president of ML North America, was the host of the collectors dinner in Vegas. There are very few people in the world of haute horology who are so down to earth (Gronefeld brothers come to mind) as Mr. H. He is an avid collector himself and for the dinner he wore a ML on one wrist and a Grand Seiko on another. He said that he will be elated the day someone randomly complements his watch by saying "Wow, is that Grand Seiko you are wearing?"

Name:  photo (55).JPG
Views: 260
Size:  189.1 KB

Both Mr. H and Sandro were also very transparent about ML brand. As WIS, we always discuss transparency from watch brands, so here too I asked - where do you source your major parts? Mr. H was very open in stating where the parts are made. For example, all cases are made in-house with the very few exception of quartz watches. In fact, majority of the parts are sourced in CH.

Name:  photo (52).JPG
Views: 329
Size:  196.5 KB

My favorite ML from the current collection is the Pontos S diver with nato strap. It is a perfect fit for my wrist and has all the right qualities for an interesting diver watch - 600meters, helium valve, nice lume, and applied indexes. Next favorite is Masterpeice Square Wheel cube - its a stylish watch and a definitive conversation piece even for a non-WIS.

Name:  photo (57).JPG
Views: 263
Size:  199.6 KB

Next year will be full of surprises as well when ML celebrates its 40th anniversary. I tried my best get Sandro intoxicated to see what special design he was planning for next year, but all I got his typical big smile

Name:  photo (53).JPG
Views: 262
Size:  190.0 KB

After we had dinner, a fun activity planned for us - indoor go carts in Vegas - a total unadulterated fun activity typical of Mr. H.
    He has also proposed a similar event for WUS members in future - so stay tuned

Name:  photo (54).JPG
Views: 256
Size:  148.8 KB

Cheers,
    Bhanu
    Ernie Romers likes this.

Re: Maurice Lacroix in Las Vegas - An iPhone report

nice!

An entertaining evening! Thanks for sharing.

Very cool! I love the Pontos S Diver, too.
    hotnerd likes this.

Thread Information