Miyota vs ETA
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Miyota vs ETA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Miyota vs ETA

How does Miyota compare to ETA from a quality perspective?

Is it deservedly cheaper, or is it just market tactics?

Re: Miyota vs ETA

Not really possible to say, as Miyota covers a wide range of price points. The cheapest Miyota is definitely not as nice as the cheapest ETA. Compare at the same price level, however, and things get more complicated (and subjective).

I have a couple of Miyota 9015 watches, and the accuracy out of the box is much better than the typical low end off-the-shelve ETA 2824-2. The overall finishing of the Miyota 9015 looks nicer as well, and to me it seems thinner than the ETA although I haven't looked up the specs. I have lots and lots of watches with ETA-2824-2, and the watches run very fast out of the box.

My Tisell with Citizen 9015.

I will be following this link to see everyone's thoughts on these movements.
    I own plenty of watches with both movements and are happy with overall results of both.

The 9015 is thinner than the 2824; 3.9mm vs. 4.6mm.

The published timekeeping error specs on the 9015 are NOT as good as even the standard-grade 2824.

The Miyota spec sheet:
    http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/.../spec_9015.pdf

And scroll down on this page to see the chart we frequency refer to, for the 2824 and 2892:
    ETA 2824 vs 2892
    fishoop likes this.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

The 9015 is a product made by a company. The 2824-2 is a product made by a borderline cartel. Both are excellent movements and most comparable at the base and elabore grades (keeping in mind that the elabore equivalent is limited to Citizen-branded watches.) There's no Top or COSC equivalent, but for a <$1k watch neither are likely to be a deal-breaker.

Technically there are some slight differences like thickness. The fact that the Miyota only winds in one direction isn't really a big deal IME.

I can't compare the date mechanism, which is IMHO the best feature of the 2824 as the only 9015 I own is a 90S5 no-date.

Neither are particularly easy to get a hold of right now unless you're a Big Deal... or part of Swatch Group.

There's a convincing argument to be made that although the ETA movements are out there in larger numbers over a longer period of time, the 9015 will be cheaper to repair (replace, really) in the future.

If you're comparing any other two movements, bets are off. The Miyota 8200-series are fine workhorses, but they're not really comparable to a 2824-2 series.
    Last edited by OvrSteer; February 15th, 2017 at 04:19.
    rudykruger and Bleedingblue like this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

If maintenance is the issue, then go Sellita.
    And it is also said, "go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say no and yes."
    -- Frodo, to Gildor

Both make dependable mech. movements in the mid to entry level segment. Just by the fact that you can ask the question tells you that whatever advantage either one has its not really all that significant. ETA makes far more, and way more elaborate or mech. movements with complications like the 7751. Miyota doesn't seem to care or want to compete in this segment.

Just me but I kind of find it hard to imagine that Miyota or ETA are investing a whole lot of R&D money into their mechanical movements. Does anyone think a new movement in an Omega or Longines would make a big bump in sales? Is it even worth the risk in lost sales if that new movement has a problem? If Miyota came out with a new and better mech. movement would it matter to folks that want "Swiss Made" on their watch? If you talk quartz I would give Miyota a clear advantage with their RX, RC, and eco-drive tech over ETA.

Both Miyota and ETA have said that they are putting their R&D money towards quartz and smart watches. Which means IMO, what we have now is what you're going to see for awhile, and if you are looking at some micro garage brand using a Miyota, Sellita, ETA, or Seiko three hand movement you're not going to see a whole lot difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Greensweeps View Post
    How does Miyota compare to ETA from a quality perspective?

Is it deservedly cheaper, or is it just market tactics?
    Many ETA-2824 equipped watches are under $400. The wholesale price of the 9015 Miyota has risen so the two compete closer now. In the long run, the 9015 may be a better movement as it does not have the handwinding wear issues of the 2824.
    Sellita SW200 is a near clone of the 2824.

Fossil/Zodiac has an affordable Swiss 28.8k bph movement, STP1-11 making inroads in the market. NTH uses it now.

Seiko does not compete in the affordable 28.8k bph market.
    Barry H and rudykruger like this.

Excellent summary above. Would just like to add (for the record) that I have two 8215s and both are <2s/day from new (had them about a year - worn consistently but not continually). 9015 (Armida) is 4s/day. Khaki mechanical (ETA2804) is ~1s/day. Various 2824s have performed well, too (as have my 7S26/6R15 watches it has to be said).

Conclusion: One is Japanese, one is Swiss. Any further comparison is a bit pointless and unnecessary. Miyota makes excellent low-cost proven movements that are the equal in performance and easily withstand any movement snobbery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information