Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 6.46.13 AM.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  200.6 KB

Re: Monta Watches Just Got Cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Drone_76 View Post
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 6.46.13 AM.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  200.6 KB
    You are right. The blue one became a limited edition as they probably will stop production at 15 heads. Perhaps the production batches of dials / bezels is 25... But who knows

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
    Last edited by oso2276; 3 Days Ago at 14:56.

$3550?? That makes Pelagos looks like a bargain of the century....

Despite being under Rolex's shadow,Tudor is already a well established brand with a long history

I'd guess for that price,they're being a bit too ambitious,even at 50% off I'd spend an extra $$$ for Seiko MM

At least I know at this point that in 5 years or so if I need to service my watch...Tudor and Seiko will (most likely) still be around...

The Monta Ocean King came today so I am going to start a full 30 days of using nothing but the Monta and giving you all my honest, unbiased opinion. If there is anything you want to know...just ask.

Follow all the pictorial action on Instagram by following .mainspringreviews or by using #1watch30days

To the best of my knowledge is has never been done before, this will be the true test of the value of this watch.

Without further delay, here is my initial take after a few minutes looking it over and trying it on.

Packaging:
    The Ocean King arrived in an absolutely gorgeous wooden box that when opened holds the Ocean King, a strap holder and travel pouch. The wood is highly polished with the Monta label on the top. This is one of the best watch boxes I have seen.

Watch:
    Bezel: 60 click, extremely well executed, very precise, no play. The edge was very easy to grip and turn.

Crown: Oversized and easy to turn.

Caseback: The caseback is extraordinary flat and spans almost the entire case back. It sits very comfortably on the wrist.

Other stuff: The case is a mixture of polished and brushed surfaces. The lugs are beveled and polished on both sides making them appear smaller than they are. The clasp is very unique and solidly snaps together. The sapphire crystal is domed, quite a bit domed. The AR coating is nice. The hands and 3,6,9,12 really pop. The ceramic bezel is a good contrast to the matte dial. The watch wears a little bigger than the 40 mm would lead you to believe, but with the flat case back it is very comfortable and does not flop around.

The things I really love so far: The date window at 6 is in black with white numbers - I can't even tell you how many manufacturers mess up the flow of the face with a date window that does not match. All of the surfaces are interesting with the mixture of finishes and angles.

Things I will watch out for and post about: Is the crown too big and will therefore dig into my hand? (Not so far) There is no pip or other lume at 12, but I have never needed to time things in the dark. I will see if I ever need to time in the dark.

Other items I will report back on: how is the movement, power reserve, etc. The strap, is it worth it? Scratches, dings, other things that happen along the way. And more????

Don't forget I will be doing multiple postings on Instagram and will be doing video reviews along the way as well on the YouTube channel Mainspring Reviews. Please ask me anything you want to know!

Some initial pictures, 6.75" wrist

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
    The Monta Ocean King came today so I am going to start a full 30 days of using nothing but the Monta and giving you all my honest, unbiased opinion. If there is anything you want to know...just ask.

Follow all the pictorial action on Instagram by following .mainspringreviews or by using #1watch30days

To the best of my knowledge is has never been done before, this will be the true test of the value of this watch.

Without further delay, here is my initial take after a few minutes looking it over and trying it on.

Packaging:
    The Ocean King arrived in an absolutely gorgeous wooden box that when opened holds the Ocean King, a strap holder and travel pouch. The wood is highly polished with the Monta label on the top. This is one of the best watch boxes I have seen.

Watch:
    Bezel: 60 click, extremely well executed, very precise, no play. The edge was very easy to grip and turn.

Crown: Oversized and easy to turn.

Caseback: The caseback is extraordinary flat and spans almost the entire case back. It sits very comfortably on the wrist.

Other stuff: The case is a mixture of polished and brushed surfaces. The lugs are beveled and polished on both sides making them appear smaller than they are. The clasp is very unique and solidly snaps together. The sapphire crystal is domed, quite a bit domed. The AR coating is nice. The hands and 3,6,9,12 really pop. The ceramic bezel is a good contrast to the matte dial. The watch wears a little bigger than the 40 mm would lead you to believe, but with the flat case back it is very comfortable and does not flop around.

The things I really love so far: The date window at 6 is in black with white numbers - I can't even tell you how many manufacturers mess up the flow of the face with a date window that does not match. All of the surfaces are interesting with the mixture of finishes and angles.

Things I will watch out for and post about: Is the crown too big and will therefore dig into my hand? (Not so far) There is no pip or other lume at 12, but I have never needed to time things in the dark. I will see if I ever need to time in the dark.

Other items I will report back on: how is the movement, power reserve, etc. The strap, is it worth it? Scratches, dings, other things that happen along the way. And more????

Don't forget I will be doing multiple postings on Instagram and will be doing video reviews along the way as well on the YouTube channel Mainspring Reviews. Please ask me anything you want to know!
    Sounds like you're excited with you new watch, so I guess congratulations re in order!

I'm not aware of Monta announcing price reductions on the Oceanking (at least not yet), but I does seem like a possibility in the not so distant future.
    Since you've received your watch recently, it's safe to assume you paid the full $3,550- My question is: how do you see Monta (as a brand) and the Oceanking (as a watch), now that they're cutting prices in half? The question is asked from a business point of view, disregarding the actual watch. One day, assuming Monta is around for much long, you could potentially meet a random stranger sporting an Oceaking as well, only in this hypothetical scenario you might've paid twice the coin.

Quote Originally Posted by oso2276 View Post
    You are right. The blue one became a limited edition as they probably will stop production at 15 heads. Perhaps the production batches of dials / bezels is 25... But who knows

Enviado desde mi Moto G (5) Plus mediante Tapatalk
    Inconsistency in information seems a bit odd to me. Through one channel they sell exclusivity of "only 15", thorough the another channel they get close to cutting it in half. It appears to be that two customers have already bought into the idea of owning something from a 1/15 production run... Later the company announces the run will be 1/25 - could seem a bit misleading, even.

And yes, it leaves the market right with you wondering "... But who knows". Doesn't seem like Monta is to be taken as a serious company.

There's also this:

Name:  MONTA vs OTHERS 2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  333.9 KB

Today I will discuss the bracelet. It is made from solid pieces of 316L, it is a 3 piece design that is designed to wrap around the wrist as the middle link can move independently from the sides as shown below. The sides are polished and the surface area is brushed. The edges are also polished. The design of the bracelet allows it to sit completely flush with the back of the case. As you can see, there is a unique closing system in the tri-fold clasp where the circular pin snaps into the bracelet before the flip lock. Also note the polished Monta logo on the clasp, I really like this detail. There are 4 micro adjustment pin placements. This is a very well executed bracelet, and not much to to not like about it as I believe it will work great for a very long time. If I had one suggestion it would probably have been to not taper the bracelet. I do not have a ruler on me but it probably tapers from 20mm to 18mm which is quite common but a little beefier clasp and links all the way around would be my preference.

To to check out more pics of the Monta Ocean King please go to Instagram and search on #1watch30days

Name:  IMG_0112.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  1.18 MBName:  IMG_0113.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  1.10 MBName:  IMG_0115.JPG
Views: 46
Size:  1.18 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  1.06 MB
    trf2271 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatScott View Post
    Today I will discuss the bracelet. It is made from solid pieces of 316L, it is a 3 piece design that is designed to wrap around the wrist as the middle link can move independently from the sides as shown below. The sides are polished and the surface area is brushed. The edges are also polished. The design of the bracelet allows it to sit completely flush with the back of the case. As you can see, there is a unique closing system in the tri-fold clasp where the circular pin snaps into the bracelet before the flip lock. Also note the polished Monta logo on the clasp, I really like this detail. There are 4 micro adjustment pin placements. This is a very well executed bracelet, and not much to to not like about it as I believe it will work great for a very long time. If I had one suggestion it would probably have been to not taper the bracelet. I do not have a ruler on me but it probably tapers from 20mm to 18mm which is quite common but a little beefier clasp and links all the way around would be my preference.

To to check out more pics of the Monta Ocean King please go to Instagram and search on #1watch30days
    Great reviews so far. Looking forward to hearing about your impressions over the next 30 days.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information