Movado watches...quality?

Thread: Movado watches...quality?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Movado watches...quality?

I have searched the forum pretty extensively and while I have found bits and pieces about the Movado brand, there are not any posts that really get into the quality of the brand. I was wondering if anyone had more information on Movado like quality, resale value, and any particular styles. I know they are a classic watch, but more information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

stuffler,mike

Re: Movado watches...quality?

Not much reviews around on Movado watches. The only watch I really like is the "Museum" designed by Horwitt. Other Movado watches do not appeal to me. Can´t judge their quality but wouldn´t rate them as top notch.
    Here´s a video review:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVxewVIJU_k

Average for their price range.

First off I'd say their quality must be good or else they would not sell so many.
    If they were crappy quality we'd have heard about it.
    I personally have never owned one. I did buy a Museum automatic display back for my daughter over a year ago. She is not easy on it and it works fine. I have asked here about it's accuracy and she says she has no problems and absolutely loves it.. I'd say Movados are not overpriced (which cannot be said about many other swiss brands)based on what I paid for her watch. I'd add that I thought it was a solid sharp looking watch. I have another friend of mine who loves his. It's a Museum all stainless, silver dial. Movado is one of the most recognized brands in the world. If you got one
    I'm sure you'd get your share of compliments, I know my daughter does.

BTW: The watch in the Utube video referenced above is the one my daughter has except in Ladies model.
    Last edited by cbeeches; November 18th, 2007 at 14:30.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by cbeeches View Post
    .....they would not sell so many.....
    New to me, do you have any sources where to read ?

...If they were crappy quality we'd have heard about it....
    Average quality is average not crappy, right ? Nobody said their quality is crappy.

Movado is one of the most recognized brands in the world....
    You´re sure ? As recognized as Rolex or Seiko ? I have my doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    ...You´re sure ? As recognized as Rolex or Seiko ? I have my doubts....
    He's probably referring to the "Gold Dot" Movado Museum Watch.

(I used to handle some of the Movado/Corum/ESQ advertising when they were distributed by North American Watch Co. here in Toronto. I'd say that the Movado products were always average quality, for the price, and their Customer Service back then was about on par with Invicta. )

Holger E. is PoliceDog

I've had 4 Movado watches and I've never had a problem with any of them. I've found the timekeeping spot on. Also, the workmanship and quality of the materials has not been cheapened out through the last 15 years through my experience. I recently bought the Movado Concerto and really like that the polished stainless case and bracelet is excellent quality and the face is a really pretty mother of pearl with a sapphire crystal. It also has some bling with 36 diamonds on the outside of the case. The diamonds are actual cut diamonds although very small maybe one pointers.

I personally like the plain but classic style. For me, I like a more sleek and clean lines look for watches. My other two favorite brands are Skagen and Rado. The Skagens are really decent quality but cheap in price. The only drawback to them in my opinion is that they only use mineral crystals. I like the Rado's for their clean looks and ceramic materials that resist scratches. I have their white ceramic automatic watch and it has been a great watch and I get compliments every time I wear it.

I have looked at some other watches like Omega and Tag Hauer and they are rated very highly by consumers but they just don't make the more simple, classic style with sleek lines like the Movado.

If I had one complaint to make about the Movados - I have a love/hate relationship with the clasp on the watch band. It's nice that its invisible but it's also a little bit of a pain to release it.

Overall as an owner of 4 Movado watches - I have had no complaints, have had great long wearing experiences and can recommend the Movados for a mid-priced watch.

The quality is right up there with other comparably priced watches. The brand of course has a history of making interesting watches and is best known for the long running Museum Watch that originated in the late 1940's.

Now that you've mentioned it( in a very round-about way), I've always considered Rado and Movado to be very similar watch brands. They seem to draw more from each other than the rest of the industry.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Movado gets limited love here because the company advertises a good bit and has a "luxury" image to the uninformed. They are mostly quartz and seem overpriced for what they are.

That said, I owned a Series 800 for a while and thought it was a great watch for what I paid second hand. Certainly as good or better than a quartz Tissot or maybe even a Tag Heuer.
    CITIZEN -- Altichron, Aqualand 20th Anniversary, Golf Watch
    DOXA -- Sub 1000T Professional
    OMEGA -- Seamaster Professional, Speedmaster Professional
    SEIKO -- Black Monster, Accolade
    TAG HEUER -- Formula 1
    TIMEX -- Ironman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information