WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Must See Monday: Five Christmas cracking watches

5K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  OrangeSport 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Text Font Logo Brand

Whether you've been naughty or nice this year, it probably doesn't alter the fact that you have at least one or two watches you desperately want Santa to bring you for Christmas, all wrapped in shiny paper, glittering with the undeniable excitement of a brand new watch. Here are five watches which caught my magpie eyes over the year at various price levels (mainly expensive and out of reach). And Santa, if you're reading this, note these down.

IWC Big Pilot & Mark XVII Edition Le Petit Prince

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

This special watch was on display at the major exhibition Watches & Wonders in Hong Kong back in September. It celebrates the 70th birthday of the highly popular novella "The Little Prince" with the launch of two limited special editions: the Big Pilot's Watch Perpetual Calendar Edition "Le Petit Prince" and the Pilot's Watch Mark XVII Edition "Le Petit Prince". With these, the Swiss watch manufacturer pays tribute to one of the best-selling books in literary history, written by legendary writer, pilot and adventurer Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. The watch is powered by the IWC manufactured 51613 calibre with Pellaton automatic winding. It features The Big Pilot's Watch Perpetual Calendar Edition "Le Petit Prince" moon phase display. On the moon display itself the little prince from the famous original drawing by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry gazes at the star-studded night sky.

Chances of getting it: At over $51,000 with only 270 pieces available this one falls under the 'more likely to win the National lottery' category.

Nissan Nismo Smart Watch

Steering part Steering wheel Vehicle Product Car

Interesting and unusual, a watch developed by a car manufacturer rather than a watchmaker trying to emulate the look and feel of a car. Nissan have become the first car manufacturer to create a smart watch. As well as telling the time, the Nissan Nismo Concept Watch connects the driver with the car and provides drivers with real-time biometric data. Like Samsung's Galaxy Gear, the Nissan Nismo Watch allows drivers to monitor the efficiency of their vehicle with average speed and fuel consumption readings; access vehicle telematics and performance data, as well as capture biometric data via a heart rate monitor; and connect to the car using a smartphone app via Bluetooth Low Energy. If that's not enough it will also as receive tailored car messages from Nissan. The Nismo Watch is also capable of tracking and rating the user's social performance across Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram - all those things you never imagined needing just a few years ago, all done through Nissan's proprietary Social Speed software.

Chances of getting it: With still no word that I can detect of pricing and availability Santa is going to have a search on his hands. Looks like socks again.

Longines Avigator Oversize Crown

Watch Analog watch Black Watch accessory Fashion accessory

The oversize crown on this beautiful Longines pilot's watch gives it a distinct personality and charm. This unusual but elegant watch from Longines is based on a model originally created in the 1920s. The Longines Avigation Oversize Crown, each unit of which is numbered, is 41 mm in diameter, its black dial, features white numerals and gold-plated, luminous, pear-shaped hands. It's designed to be extremely easy to read in the semi-darkness of the cockpit, or indeed your local cinema. The watch is available in three stainless steel versions. Shown here is the basic version which features the hours, minutes and seconds.

Chances of getting it:
At £1,480 I think the alternative choice of discounted Brut aftershave is probably going to shade it.

TUDOR Fastrider Black Shield

Analog watch Watch Red Gauge Font

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Black Automotive design

I want the watch and the bike. The TUDOR Fastrider Black Shield's monobloc case, rendered in matt black ceramic, is fashioned using high-tech injected ceramic - not ceramic applied to another material as a coating, and is also made entirely in one process. The whole case is produced as a single piece - a unique operation for watches in this segment. Waterproof to a depth of 150 metres (500 feet) and fitted with direct-action pushers and a screw-down crown in PVD-treated steel, the 42-mm case houses a self-winding chronograph movement with a power reserve of approximately 46 hours. To make the watch even more agonisingly desirable, Ducati has customised the one-of-a-kind Diavel Carbon model with a black matt finish on the whole motorcycle and signature red highlighting on the details to produce a matching bike and watch ensemble.

Chances of getting it: At over $5,000, it's not going to happen, not even in my wildest furry dreams.

Victorinox Swiss Army Chrono Classic

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

The latest version of this bestseller has undergone a full metamorphosis, both aesthetically and technically. Introduced in the first half of the year, it features a new quartz movement which, with a double press of the crown, transforms it from a classic watch into a chronograph accurate to 1/100th of a second. In a first for this type of movement, the 1/100th of a second is displayed numerically, by means of two rotating discs. Two new dial colours complete the transfiguration of the Chrono Classic into a genuine multi-tasking tool with sober styling and intelligent functionality. To start the chronograph, in the traditional manner, simply press the button at 2 o'clock. The red central hand then displays the seconds, while the others count out the minutes and hours. The same operation stops the time measurement--the 1/100th of a second shows in the window at 6 o'clock. A second pushbutton at 4 o'clock resets the chronograph. The technical prowess of the Chrono Classic also enables you to read time in the traditional way while the stopwatch is running. A double-click on the crown is all that is needed. Simple and ingenious, the mechanism is a feature of the chronograph's Swiss Made FM13D quartz movement by Soprod, with whom Victorinox Swiss Army worked closely to develop the watch.

Chances of getting it: Not out of the ballpark. This watch is available at around £600, but for that price I'd rather opt for a new computer.

Christmas cracker Vegetarian food Beige

See less See more
#2 ·
Several look nice. I like the two car-themed ones. Like the sleek style of the Nissan watch. I guess if you can put a car together that goes like stink around the track and still will endure daily driver duty, you can put together at least as good a watch as any number of other folks, to say nothing of getting to keep more of the profit by having done it yourself. The color balance on the Tudor looks great, to the extent I can discern it from the pic -- it's a bit dark. Much as I think the face looks like an owl, I like it nonetheless.

The Longines looks okay too, but IMO, the crown should be on the left; it looks like it's just trying to find something to catch hold of. I also wonder if the fluting on the bezel is in good proportion to that on the crown. Hard to tell from the pic, but it seems as though they may have goofed on the scaling in the juxtaposition of the two components.

TY for sharing.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting this interesting watches there. The Nissan on the other hand, well, let's just say I don't need a watch to track all the stuff that one tracks and to monitor my online habits etc. I think I'll keep my basic analog mechanical watches that just tell me what time it is. I always thought the N in NSA stood for national, maybe I misunderstood, perhaps it's Nissan?

ETA - after looking at it a bit more, the Nissan looks like one of those tracking bracelets the courts use. That ought to help sales :)

#9 ·
Here you go, at £20 from Argos Santa might stretch to one of these

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.