My Christmas Gift To My Wife....In a letter

Thread: My Christmas Gift To My Wife....In a letter

-->
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs Up My Christmas Gift To My Wife....In a letter

Hi Guys,
    First of all Merry Christmas. I haven't been here much. Working a lot of hours. Selling a lot of business attire. You know how it is.
    I posting this thread at the request of my wife, who thought I should share something with you, my friends.

This thread is an off topic that I hope the mods don't mind I post. You see the public forum is my favorite hang-out spot (and lately lurking spot when I have a minute) where people here know me. So I respectfully ask if the mods can keep it here in the public forum.

I wrote this email to my wife the other night when I returned home from my only day off from work in 2 weeks.

I hope it touches you as it did my wife. It is Christmas after all...Right?

Merry Christmas. You guys are my Christmas present (no watch under the tree to speak of. Sorry. Just spirit and good cheer).

This is my Present to my wife....

Hi Jadzia,
    It's me. Your David.

So, today I decided to do something.
    As you know I've been working sooo many hours without too much of a breather.
    And I know we decided this year to give each other something very small for Christmas, and buy for the kids.
    And you know, I have generous intentions towards you for Christmas. I know you wouldn't allow me to give you something a little more like I like to do..

Anyway, I was bothered in my mind about something today.
    I see all around me how rude, uncaring, and rotten the people are, that keep on keeping on, in their self-centered state.
    They let open doors swing into me, step in front of me at check-out counters, cut me off in traffic, and peg me the finger when I beep the horn in protest, and get ANGRY when not offered a discount on clothes at work.
    I'm tired, and wiped out lately, of it all.

I also see how fortunate these people are, yet so uptight. And for what?
    Because of their selfish tunnel-vision of being in rush to go nowhere. And what-can-you-do-for-me. That's what.

Anyway,
    As you know. I was out of work for 8 months collecting very little while my bills mounted.
    I was embarrassed and ashamed for you and the people in my life.
    You never lost your confidence in me. I been doing good lately. Thank you for your faith in me.
    You have such a BIG heart and are one of God's humanitarians.
    And since you will not except something more for Christmas from me.
    This is what I did instead..

Today, when I deposited my paychecks at the bank.
    I deposited all except asking back a one hundred dollar bill.
    I went and took care of what I needed to with my mother.
    Instead of coming straight home as usual, I drove to Providence with a purpose in mind.
    I went and parked my car at Providence place mall.
    Put my camera in my pocket, and walked towards the mall entrance.
    Man, you should of saw how uptight people were, walking around with their UGG boots, Burberry scarfs, and Cashmere overcoats, Nordstrom shopping bags in hand.
    They have no idea how fortunate they are, yet no care at all look on their faces. (Of course while entering the mall, the people in front of me let the door swing at me)

I walked though the mall to the other side and began to walk into downtown Providence.
    It was freezing, the ice-cold wind was blowing hard, with the light snow stinging my face.
    I buttoned my coat and braved on.
    I entered downtown and began to walk the streets with my eyes peeled.
    I was looking for something.

I walked for about an hour, block after block.
    Still I didn't find what I was looking for.
    My mind then guided me to go to Kennedy plaza where the RIPTA buses are.
    Still I looked around. Nothing.

I then entered the main terminal building there.
    And resumed my search...I found what I was looking for.....

Sitting near a pay phone was a guy.
    Looking at this man sent a chill down my spine.
    You should of saw him Jadzia.
    He was wearing very dirty, rag clothes, no gloves, dirty ball-cap, and work boots that were filthy with holes in them, with no socks on.
    All he had was a white, crumpled, plastic shopping with something in it.
    I wondered, if it was in fact his worldly possessions in the bag.

I cautiously approached him, sat next to him and asked him his name.
    He said his name was "Harvey".
    I told him my name with a warm smile, and shook his hand.
    Harvey was confused to why I approached him and asked if there was a problem?
    I smiled and said no.
    I asked if I could speak to him outside in private. (too many people and potential thugs around, the place was packed because it was freezing out)
    He asked again if there was a problem? I again smiled and said no. (I hoped I didn't scare him)
    Harvey walked outside with me. I asked him to come over to a private spot with me, away from people.
    I then asked where he was from and where he lives.
    Harvey said he was Providence and lives at a homeless shelter in Cranston.
    He was waiting for the bus to go there.
    I smiled and told Harvey I was from Providence too.
    It was my hometown.
    I then asked if I could take a couple of pictures of him.
    He said ok, but I could tell that he still didn't understand my purpose in all of this.
    I took the photos and then told Harvey that last year I lost my job, and I'm fortunate that now I'm back on my feet again.
    I also told him that I am blessed with a wonderful home life, with the love of my life, that goes above and beyond everyday single day for me.
    I said she would not except a generous gift from me, even though the WORLD wouldn't be enough gift she deserves.
    And that the woman I love has a big heart, and cares for the people in the world.

I then told Harvey that I would like to give him something.
    I looked around to make sure no one was looking.
    I then reached in my pocket, and pulled out the one hundred dollar bill.
    I handed it to Harvey. I then wished him a Merry Christmas, and asked for one more photo.
    He said "You know, I really needed this." Choked up, I then patted him on the shoulder and said "I know you did Pal."

I then left, walked back to the mall, and drove home to write you this.

I love you very, very much.
    And since you will not allow me to show you my true love for you with a gift.
    I decided to give you my gift though Harvey the homeless man. I hope you didn't mind.

You mean the world to me. My love , my best friend, and "team-mate".

MERRY EARLY CHRISTMAS!
    xoxo David

Ps: I enclosed the three pics of Harvey. Including Harvey with a tear in his eye holding the one hundred dollar bill.

My Watches:
    Breitling Chronomat 44 B01
    Breitling Chronomat Evolution ss/18k
    Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph

Omega Ploprof 1200m
    Omega POC 9300

Re: My Christmas Gift To My Wife....In a letter

Very Nice, it seems the true spirit of Christmas is very much in your heart. Only thing I would suggest is not focusing on the negative people so much, makes you sound bitter, and after hearing what you just did, you definitely arent bitter. Good luck keeping your job, and nice to hear of a nice relationship that your wife and you have. Merry Christmas to Harvey as well.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Excellent post, but try not to focus on to many of the negatives in life. It's possible to always find the negatives, but it's the positives that really count. I wish you and your wife a Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

You did a good thing. You've inspired me... when I go downtown later today instead of spending extra money on myself, I'm gonna swing by the homeless shelter and give out some cash to those that need it more.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by grandeson View Post
    Very Nice, it seems the true spirit of Christmas is very much in your heart. Only thing I would suggest is not focusing on the negative people so much, makes you sound bitter, and after hearing what you just did, you definitely arent bitter. Good luck keeping your job, and nice to hear of a nice relationship that your wife and you have. Merry Christmas to Harvey as well.
    I'm very sorry if I might of came across as focused on the negative. My point is that it seems sooo many people have forgotten that, this time of year, it would not kill them to be nice to each other. It just seems that Christmas now means, Santa Claus, shopping at Nordstrom, and getting stressed out at the people in your way of getting somewhere where you are going. I did what I did to show the love for my wife who gives her heart everyday and expects nothing in return. My intent wasn't to pity Harvey. I don't think $100 is going to help him get back on his feet. I gave him the hundred dollar bill because, I just feel that I have had good fortune lately and wanted to make someone happy (even if it just was for one day) that knows nothing of a shopping spree for Christmas. I think I achieved this.

~Dave
    Last edited by hansomegq67; December 23rd, 2010 at 16:59.
    My Watches:

Omega Ploprof 1200m
    Omega POC 9300

i remember our discussions and private messages when you were going through your rough patch and if my memory serves me (it always does) you were always positive. i could sense a tone of sorrow in some of your messages but i got the feeling that they were centered around feeling that you were failing your loved ones. you never gave up and you always looked to the future because you were grounded in the love of your family.
    i could not have been happier when you informed me that you were once again employed. i am damn proud to know you dave; and feel privaleged to consider you a friend. you are a kind man with a big heart and your actions and success do not come as a surprise to me. to echo what emmanuelgoldstein stated, do not let the world change you!!

merry Christmas buddy.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Quote Originally Posted by novedl View Post
    i remember our discussions and private messages when you were going through your rough patch and if my memory serves me (it always does) you were always positive. i could sense a tone of sorrow in some of your messages but i got the feeling that they were centered around feeling that you were failing your loved ones. you never gave up and you always looked to the future because you were grounded in the love of your family.
    i could not have been happier when you informed me that you were once again employed. i am damn proud to know you dave; and feel privaleged to consider you a friend. you are a kind man with a big heart and your actions and success do not come as a surprise to me. to echo what emmanuelgoldstein stated, do not let the world change you!!

merry Christmas buddy.
    Thanks Devon,
    The feelings are mutual. I'm damn proud to know you as well. You are one of the rocks around here. ~Dave

Well time to get ready for work. Talk to you guys soon...
    My Watches:

Omega Ploprof 1200m
    Omega POC 9300

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hansomegq67 View Post
    I'm very sorry if I might of came across as focused on the negative. My point is that it seems sooo many people have forgotten that, this time of year, it would not kill them to be nice to each other. It just seems that Christmas now means, Santa Claus, shopping at Nordstrom, and getting stressed out at the people in your way of getting somewhere where you are going. I did what I did to show the love for my wife who gives her heart everyday and expects nothing in return. My intent wasn't to pity Harvey. I don't think $100 is going to help him get back on his feet. I gave him the hundred dollar bill because, I just feel that I have had good fortune lately and wanted to make someone happy (even if it just was for one day) that knows nothing of a shopping spree for Christmas. I think I achieved this.

~Dave
    You never know what that $100 dollars can do for a person. It may do more than you ever imagined. One thing is for sure that man will have you in his thoughts this holiday.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

v76

That's a really nice thing you did in the spirit of the festive season. It shows that you (and your wife) have a big heart, I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and happy times to look forward to.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Banned

Dave, THAT'S the way to make a comeback post in the Public Forum. No coal in your stocking this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information