WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Need Advice: Tissot PRC200 or Seiko Solar Chrono SSC087P1

6K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  sirgilbert357 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm new here.

I am thinking of getting a bracelet watch. 2 watches in particular have caught my eye - White Dial Tissot PRC200 (~480 USD where I come from) and Black Dial Seiko Solar Chrono SSC087P1 (~320USD).

Please let me know which you think is a better watch? Also, is Tissot a better brand since it is a swiss brand? Also, would you recommend a different watch for a budget of 500 USD?

As far as I know, seiko (due to solar) probably wouldnt need for a change of battery whereas for Tissot, I would definitely have to change the battery.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome! Your questions will generate a variety of opinions. My own, is that those two watches would be of similar quality, with the exception that the Tissot most likely has a sapphire (more scratch resistant) crystal. On the other hand, I do prefer a solar quartz for the reason you identified. You will also find some nice Citizens in that price range.

#3 ·
Hi Glenn! Thanks for replying. Yeap, as I am torn between the 2 options, I am hoping with all of your opinions, I would be closer to making a decision.

You are right, there is a great pull/wow/cool factor with the solar.

Both of them are sapphire crystals.

One reason that attracts me to tissot is because most tissot watches are of a higher range as compared to seiko, which you can find one for 100-200 USD. So perhaps it might not be viewed as cheaply as Seiko? However, tissot being only quartz, would require more trips down to the shop to change the battery. (sidenote: Tissot offers a 2 year warranty as compared to Seiko, which offers only 1 year warranty)

#7 ·
One of secrets of the watch world, unknown to people who don't closely follow watches, is that Seiko and their related companies (like Grand Seiko) make watches that are waaaaaaay more expensive than the most expensive Tissot. (E.g.Grand Seiko 44GS Limited Edition Watch Hands-On - Page 2 of 2 | aBlogtoWatch)
They also make awesome watches that cost a few hundred dollars, and they make pretty decent watches that cost even less than that. They really run the whole gamete.

That said, are you looking for quartz (battery operated) and not automatic or handwinding? Must you have a chronograph?

#14 ·
Thank you for your opinion! I never knew they made more expensive watches than tissot.

Well, to be honest, I'm not too sure if my budget would allow me to get a decent automatic watch? (Care to recommend for a budget of about 500 USD?) I'd definitely prefer an automatic over a quartz or mechanical (due to my forgetful nature). Well, chronograph is not a must, though I seem to be attracted to it asethically :)

#9 ·
My opinion in this one would be Tissot because they ALWAYS use sapphire crystals. I had a couple of Seiko/Citizen watches that didn't, and I hated how easily the mineral crystal would scratch. That said, these are both great, reliable watches at a decent price point.

#10 ·
I own both brands, and both brands have been great for me. I've had my Tissot for 15 years, and it still looks and works great. Both brands provide a ton of bang for the buck.

I personally find the Seiko more visually appealing, but that's just a matter of preference. The Tissot is very nice, too, and the white face makes it different from a lot of chronos. If you're looking for something more distinct, go with Tissot.

#17 · (Edited)
For the original question, I would choose the Seiko. I love that caliber. It has more functionality than you might realize. The alarm subdial can actually be set to show a second time zone when you aren't planning on using it as an alarm. And if the battery powered version of this caliber is the same (7T62), then you actually have a 12 hour chrono there, because the chrono doesn't stop running once it hits 60 mins, it just keeps going. After it measures a full 12 hours, then it stops. The sweeping second hand once you start the chrono is pretty cool on a quartz too (the Tissot is just a boring tick once a second like a normal seconds hand), and not something you see often in lower price points like this. The sapphire on the Tissot is nice, but I'm not sure that's enough reason for me to want it over the Seiko. If you want sapphire in this same Seiko caliber, and are willing to go with traditional battery power instead of solar, look at this model: Seiko SNAE59 (more sporty) and the Seiko SNAE31 (a little more dressy, and you can't see it in the pics below, but the black dial actually has the same guilloche pattern of the white dial brother I picture very last. Its gorgeous in real life). Pics, respectively:

Oh wait...or there's the silver dial and black hands/numerals version of the above, the Seiko SNAE29:

So, you have options. And keep in mind all of the above I show pics of have sapphire and the same functionality as the solar version you're looking at. Replacing a battery every 3 years is no big deal...but once a solar cell dies, how much will it cost you to replace or fix? Will the cell even still be made, or will you just find it cheaper to scrap the watch and just buy a new one? Any of the above are less than 250 bucks and they will likely last you a long, long time if you just change the battery...oh and they also have an end of life indicator so you know when its time...no guessing when the battery will quit on you. I'm not against solar at all, but I wanted you to see the other options out there in Seiko since you were considering the Tissot and it's battery powered. These are just the Seikos I could come up with off the top of my head, if you do some digging you may find more with sapphire...one more thing: I don't think the Seiko in your OP has standard lugs. Looking at the pics of the underside of the bracelet endlinks has me scratching my head...so you may not be able to ever swap to leather or a NATO or, well...ANYTHING else. That means if your bracelet breaks, you're screwed...

#18 ·
Thanks for pointing out that repair for solar cells may be costly. I guess it didn't occur to me with more functions, there are higher chances of components failing. I think I should expand my search beyond Seiko's solar collection (the SNAE59P1 you suggested seems to be a good one. I like the design of it). Are they any views on the kinetic collection?

Just one question, how would you know if the battery is about to fail? I never knew there is an indicator, where is it located at or how does it work?

#22 ·
Thanks for pointing out that repair for solar cells may be costly. I guess it didn't occur to me with more functions, there are higher chances of components failing. I think I should expand my search beyond Seiko's solar collection (the SNAE59P1 you suggested seems to be a good one. I like the design of it). Are they any views on the kinetic collection?

Just one question, how would you know if the battery is about to fail? I never knew there is an indicator, where is it located at or how does it work?
The EOL (End of Life Indicator) on these Seikos is a 2 second tick for the timekeeping second hand. It only ticks once every two seconds, but it "skips" the entire length of a two second mark. Maybe I suck at explaining this...hmmm, google a video to see what I mean, but its pretty obvious even though the small subdial on the left of the watch is the seconds hand on these models. It will still keep accurate time during this point of battery discharge, but you'd want to get the battery swapped sooner rather than later...

#20 · (Edited)
Hello and welcome!

I have a Tissot PRC200 Auto Chrono and a Seiko Solar Diver SE-SSC017 and like them both but for different reasons. The Tissot is much dressier while the Seiko is great for the beach (even though they are both rated at 200M water resistance). I would be more upset to scratch my Tissot even though it has a Sapphire crystal as it is almost 3x the cost of the Seiko, than I would if I scratched the Seiko, and it has the Hardex crystal. They are both fun to wear, fun to own and

#21 ·
I own the PRC200, and I really really like it. Very neat case design and the watch stands out. I like the Gen 1 design (the photo you posted) over the latest generation (below).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.