Need suggestions for Tonneau shaped watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Need suggestions for Tonneau shaped watch

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need suggestions for Tonneau shaped watch

Hey All, I am new to the forum and have been loving all of your passion for timepieces.
    I currently own a Baume & Mercier Capeland S...LOVE IT.
    I am looking to get something a bit dressier.
    Even though it is no longer in production, I have really come to love the look of the Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Moon Phase Tonneau. I have seen one with a black dial and brown straps which looks amazing.
    This is just to give you guys an idea as to what I am looking for.
    Any suggestions on other timepieces that are similar in appearance to this one?

Thanks for your help!

Banned

Re: Need suggestions for Tonneau shaped watch

Welcome! You might be able to find a few good deals on Maurice Lacroix watches. There are a lot on the grey market websites an eBay recently. A member here snagged a sweet one not too long ago:

New Maurice Lacroix

You should consider Hamilton - they're always on the list for best bang for the buck. Also, here's a Tiffany's Mark Coupe that I used to own - they sell pre-owned for $900 to $1300 usually:

It was tough to sell, but I replaced it with something as beautiful.

Checkout the, Longines - Evidenza, L2.671.4.58.4

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

This one will be mine someday.
    Kind regards
    Mike
    Hidden Content

I have to say, I'm not really sure what a "Tonneau" shaped case is... It seems like an exclusive term used in the watch world. Sometimes I see it pinned to older (usually art deco) watched that are rectangular, but slightly curved.

The Tiffany watch isn't what I'd call "Tonneau", but neither is the watch I'm about to suggest. However, it does look a similar shape to the Tiffany watch, just larger.

Its the Minorva classic tourbillon. In my opinion, a very stylish watch, and it's affordable due to the Chinese movement powering it.

Tourbillon::skeleton::skeleton watch::skeleton watches::skeleton wristwatch::watch skeleton::watches skeleton

The price still seems quite steep though? I'm pretty sure the same model crops up on ebay quite often for a hell of a lot less than that. If not, some of the other tourbillon watches Minorva produces (on the same website) are much cheaper, floating around the $1,000 - $1,500 mark. I'm not sure if any are exactly "Tonneau" shaped though!

Cheers,

Zac

The picture above is, tonneau = barrel shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincero View Post
    I have to say, I'm not really sure what a "Tonneau" shaped case is... It seems like an exclusive term used in the watch world. Sometimes I see it pinned to older (usually art deco) watched that are rectangular, but slightly curved.

The Tiffany watch isn't what I'd call "Tonneau", but neither is the watch I'm about to suggest. However, it does look a similar shape to the Tiffany watch, just larger.

Its the Minorva classic tourbillon. In my opinion, a very stylish watch, and it's affordable due to the Chinese movement powering it.

Tourbillon::skeleton::skeleton watch::skeleton watches::skeleton wristwatch::watch skeleton::watches skeleton

The price still seems quite steep though? I'm pretty sure the same model crops up on ebay quite often for a hell of a lot less than that. If not, some of the other tourbillon watches Minorva produces (on the same website) are much cheaper, floating around the $1,000 - $1,500 mark. I'm not sure if any are exactly "Tonneau" shaped though!

Cheers,

Zac

I have to say, I'm not really sure what a "Tonneau" shaped case is...
    I'm a winemaker and I can attest that's where the phrase comes from. Tonneau = 200 Litre barrel (~ 54 gallon), your standard full-size wine barrel. This shape is interesting for a watch because it becomes more of a "bracelet" while still keeping a width that allows a good circular motion and some wrist presence. Very Classy. That Minorva is a REAL tourbillion, also a very nice movement priced a tenth of the Swiss equivalent, so don't sell yourself short, Vincero, it's a good suggestion. I have seen the Maurice Lacroix Moonphase that OP mentions, and it's beautiful. Not a bad catch. I don't own one, but I would love to have one.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

And now it hits me: un tonneau. a cask. Or... a more "shape friendly" term: barrel. I had a barrel or tonneau shaped omega seamaster once, was a lovely watch with an auto movement double date function. Gold with a champagne dial, NOS. Flipped it!

As for the Minorva... I'm very tempted to make this my next purchase. It's a fine watch, and the centre tourbillon appeals to me more than the flying tourbillons do. This model is on the bay at the moment, sitting at approx. $200 US. Obviously it will go up, but to 3k? No chance!The only issues are gaurantees... What happens if it breaks, needs a service etc. Nevertheless, it should be a long time before that becomes an issue.

There's a very nice tonneau shaped Vacheron Constantin on the bay at the moment for some ludicrous price. Ahhhh, I'll keep dreaming.

Good luck in your search for the perfect tonneau dress watch. I recommend you read about the tourbillon watch (see if the seller(s) are willing to offer gaurantees etc, I know that some do, even across ebay). The tourbillon is a stunning complication, and you're sure to be unique in owning one. Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

Zac

No, you would not be 'unique' in owning one. You might be the first on your block.
    And now it hits me: un tonneau. a cask. Or... a more "shape friendly" term: barrel. I had a barrel or tonneau shaped omega seamaster once, was a lovely watch with an auto movement double date function. Gold with a champagne dial, NOS. Flipped it!

As for the Minorva... I'm very tempted to make this my next purchase. It's a fine watch, and the centre tourbillon appeals to me more than the flying tourbillons do. This model is on the bay at the moment, sitting at approx. $200 US. Obviously it will go up, but to 3k? No chance!The only issues are gaurantees... What happens if it breaks, needs a service etc. Nevertheless, it should be a long time before that becomes an issue.

There's a very nice tonneau shaped Vacheron Constantin on the bay at the moment for some ludicrous price. Ahhhh, I'll keep dreaming.

Good luck in your search for the perfect tonneau dress watch. I recommend you read about the tourbillon watch (see if the seller(s) are willing to offer gaurantees etc, I know that some do, even across ebay). The tourbillon is a stunning complication, and you're sure to be unique in owning one. Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

Zac

this is the only tonneau i own

PriceIsRight, adamcb and Brey17 like this.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information