• Longines Master Collection Retrograde L2.715.4.78.6

18 22.78%
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: OMEGA vs. Longines

-->
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

OMEGA vs. Longines

Hi guys,

I will be travelling to Europe next month and planning to purchase a watch that is in the $3,000-$3,500 range. These are the two watches that have made my shortlist.

I've tried both of them on and the Longines is a better fit for my wrist as I don't really like how the OMEGA bracelet doesn't hug my wrist near the lugs but others have said it looks fine.

Obviously OMEGA is a more reputable brand but isn't this Longines super sexy with all those blued steel hands plus the exclusive ETA movement?

Which would you choose? I'm actually also considering the Sinn 6000 but IMO the two above are better value.

Last edited by Ashed; March 23rd, 2012 at 19:55.

Re: OMEGA vs. Longines

Man, all three of those are winners in my estimation...

I think Longines, despite being a "step below" Omega in the Swatch hierarchy, is really every bit as reputable as Omega among WIS types. Love that particular Longines as well, though I prefer it on a strap.

For me,
    1)Longines 2)Omega 3)Sinn

But there are no bad choices in that group.

Dan
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

I think they are both great watches, but I am biased :) As for the Omega, I find it to be heavier and on the wrist, it feels more substantial. However, the black bezel around the Omega makes it visually smaller then a similarly sized Longines. I just picked up a first Longines moonphase yesterday and the MC collection are indeed beautiful pieces.

Some photos and a comparison to Omega (It is a 42mm Longines compared to my 40mm Speedmaster)

I would expect Omega to hold value better, but if that isnt a big concern, the Longines looks really nice. I would pick that one up as well among those.

As iconic as it is, unless the bezel is made of ceramic, "liquid metal" in omega-speak, I'd avoid the speedmaster.
    Regarding the Longines... attractive blue-hands on white barleycorn dial & love the master collection bracelet, but its functions makes it a tool-watch... a tool-watch without lume for me is a no-no. It's also cluttered and hard to figure out.
    That leaves the Sinn... but I am concerned about the double-sided AR which may or may not be nearly hard as sapphire (it is on some Sinn models)
    Last edited by dkouzou; March 24th, 2012 at 06:03.

Ball Engineer II Ohio (NM1026C-SJ-WH) | Omega Dynamic III (5250.50.00) | Omega De Ville (BA 161.024) | Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer (WL5112) | Victorinox Cavalry (Marlboro Edition)

Hi there,

I have just bumbed into the Longines Master retrograde.
    I wish you would consider longines moonphase PLUS the day/night indicator.
    It really cool ...

A thought ofr you.

I like the Longines...if I don't care about the fact that it isn't a chrono where the other two are. If I wanted a chrono, of the three, the Omega gets my vote. You may want to consider these two chronos made by Longines as well:

Longines Column Wheel Record Chrono:

Name:  THE_LONGINES_COLUMN-WHEEL_CHRONOGRAPH_RECORD_21585789.jpg
Views: 9840
Size:  27.7 KB

Longines Master Chrono Moonphase:

Both retail ~$3000, can be had in the $2k range after a pretty standard 15%-20% discount. Both of these would likely get my $ before the Omega.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Roller.959; March 23rd, 2012 at 21:44.
    Jamiesutto likes this.

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

The Longines Column Wheel Record Chrono is sweet
    Last edited by dkouzou; March 24th, 2012 at 04:49.

Ball Engineer II Ohio (NM1026C-SJ-WH) | Omega Dynamic III (5250.50.00) | Omega De Ville (BA 161.024) | Tag Heuer Kirium Chronometer (WL5112) | Victorinox Cavalry (Marlboro Edition)

The Omega may be more iconic, but you prefer the fit of the Longines on your wrist. So, you know which one you should get, but is it the one you want to get?
    ------------------------------
    Good Deals: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR,

Quote Originally Posted by Roller.959 View Post
    Name:  THE_LONGINES_COLUMN-WHEEL_CHRONOGRAPH_RECORD_21585789.jpg
Views: 9840
Size:  27.7 KB
    This! Nice!

Out of OP's choises: Sinn, Speedmaster, Longines - and I never pick a Speedmaster.
    The Longines just has too much of everything going on.
    Sinn just looks solid! :)
    - Markus

Mostly my watches on Flickr

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information