Open my own Watch Store?

Thread: Open my own Watch Store?

-->

Open my own Watch Store?

Anyone out there thinking of turning their hobby of watches into a business? I do.

My Day Dream as I sit in my office...

Open a Grey Market store front and sell the watches I personally like.
    * Omega
    * Hamilton
    * Longines
    * Oris
    * Glycine
    * Doxa
    * Sinn
    * IWC
    * Zenith (Maybe)

I might become an authorized dealer in one and then sell Grey Market prices. Could I do it? Is there enough of a market? Would other retailers put a hit out for my head? Any other Houstonians out their with the same dream?

stuffler,mike

Re: Open my own Watch Store?

Quote Originally Posted by houstontx8 View Post
    I might become an authorized dealer in one and then sell Grey Market prices. Could I do it?
    If Sinn gets aware of your selling practice you have been an AD for the longest time ! Watchbuys will watch very carefully too.

The Swatch Group will react in the same way imho.

Anyone out there thinking of turning their hobby of watches into a business? I do....
    I used to, not anymore. The WSJ had a great article a few months ago. It was about people that had good, high paying jobs for many years, then left to take their "dream job" at much less pay. The trend was clear, all of the article's subjects regretted leaving their old job. What they hated most was working just as hard or harder compared to the old job, only for much less money.

I worked retail, left it to get an engineering degree so I would never have to work with the un-washed masses again. I could never open a retail shop, too much work.

"...Would other retailers put a hit out for my head?..."
    You can count on it.

Anyone thinking of opening a store front watch business, grey market or otherwise, better have very deep pockets.

Holger E. is PoliceDog

If you open up your own store, hope you give us WUS's a good discount!:thanks
    Greetings from that Island they call Long!

Yep, there're nothing like dealing with the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by snorkeler View Post
    I used to, not anymore. The WSJ had a great article a few months ago. It was about people that had good, high paying jobs for many years, then left to take their "dream job" at much less pay. The trend was clear, all of the article's subjects regretted leaving their old job. What they hated most was working just as hard or harder compared to the old job, only for much less money.

I worked retail, left it to get an engineering degree so I would never have to work with the un-washed masses again. I could never open a retail shop, too much work.

Do you hope to make a profit?

Remember the Olie and Stanley movie, "Saps At Sea"? Well, instead of
    "HORNS HORNS HORNS", it'll be, WATCHES WATCHES WATCHES. It's a
    great way of getting, "Daffy Duck Syndrome".

pay no attention to the nay-sayers! I don't really like my day job. I decided to start my own side business doing one of my favorite hobbies. I make roughly $38 an hour at my day job. Thanks to tireless hours and a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication to my side business, last year I was able to make $0.64 an hour doing what I enjoy. Minus expenses i made $.03 an hour. Live the dream! It CAN be done!
    ::The Rotation::
    Rolex GMT Master IIc . IWC Fliegeruhr Mark XVI . Omega Electric Blue Seamaster x2 (his and hers) . Sinn 657 S . UZI Guardian on Velcro Strap . Casio G-Shock G-7800B-1DR + GW-5000 + GW-7900B + GWX-56GB + F91W + DW-6900MS . Benarus Remora Sapphire Bezel . Fossil Maddox Shrouded Lug Diver . Tag Heuer Formula1 Grande Date . Bernardt Binnacle Anchor . Swiss Legend Conqueror . Citizen Signature Perpetual Diver . Timex Military Expedition T498789J

It's good to hear honesty. But how do other's do it? Not commercial retailers, but independents. Do they make a good profit? The smaller independents I've seen stock them selfs with a bunch of crud. Others with a bit nicer stock look like their run by mobsters. I've only seen one ideal shop that I liked but I didn't want to seem rude by asking him how much money is he making...

Wink Re: Open my own Watch Store?

But with all that said a fun dream.

* So many watches and only 2 wrist...

"Why? Just For the sake of because..."

~ Skip

Thread Information