WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Opinions on Hermes watches

22K views 82 replies 35 participants last post by  tony20009 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I believe that many on this forum do no exactly like watches from brands such as Bvlgari and Hermes but I have been getting rather bored of my Datejust and have been looking to sell it and replace it with something else.

And recently some of the Hermes watches began to catch my attention. I am aware that Hermes has been making attempts at trying to up its game in the luxury watch segment as well with new in house developments.

What are your opinions on this brand?

#11 ·
I think I am the only other person in WUS who likes the Hermes look
Especially the Basel 2015 release below.
Forget about resale value though.
and I don't know much about what movements go into them.
These days, one can pretty well assume that Vaucher movements are inside Hermes watches. Hermes own a minority stake in Vaucher.

All the best.

#4 ·
Uh nah, I count 3 right now. A skeleton model caught my eye while shopping in London in March!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: drhr
#5 ·
I like their Arceau line of men's dress watches. The dial designs of that line are very cool. Hermes has been in watches for a long time so they deserve a little more respect. However, they are obviously more known more for their women's watches and as HKBob says above - you're gonna get killed on the resale.

Personally, I would revisit the idea of getting rid of a Datejust to acquire a Hermes. if I could financially swing it, I would buy the Hermes but keep the Datejust. I get being bored with a watch after a time, but the Datejust is just a classic and you may end up buying another Datejust at a later time. And money-wise, trading a Rolex for a Hermes seems a bad bet, atleast in terms of the value.

#17 ·
I like their Arceau line of men's dress watches. The dial designs of that line are very cool. Hermes has been in watches for a long time so they deserve a little more respect. However, they are obviously more known more for their women's watches and as HKBob says above - you're gonna get killed on the resale.

Personally, I would revisit the idea of getting rid of a Datejust to acquire a Hermes. if I could financially swing it, I would buy the Hermes but keep the Datejust. I get being bored with a watch after a time, but the Datejust is just a classic and you may end up buying another Datejust at a later time. And money-wise, trading a Rolex for a Hermes seems a bad bet, atleast in terms of the value.
Hmm yeah i do understand where you are coming from. One of the reason why i was considering getting rid of the DJ was that my dad and I are thinking of merging our collection and since both of us own a DJ, we wanted a variety. But its just an idea i am playing around with at a moment but nothing too solid yet :)

#8 · (Edited)
I like their designs - especially the unique cases - and thought their dials were reminescent of Parmigiani's stuff. Well, it turns out there is a reason for that, perhaps:

"This year, Hermes introduces a new line of Dressage watches (first introduced in 2003) with their brand new self-winding movement, the first movement that can be really be called "in-house". Dubbed the H1837 (H1912 in a woman's watch), the movement provides 50 hours of power reserve thanks to twin spring barrels. it was designed with two barrels so that in the future it may power small complication. The new Dressage with H1837 is available with both a center seconds and date, or with sub-seconds at 6 o'clock. These movements were developed exclusively for Hermes by Vaucher in Fleurier, of which Hermes owns 25% - the rest of which belongs to Parmigiani." (from Hodinkee, May 8, 2012).

You may also refer to THIS LINK. And THIS ONE. So, depending on what qualifications you have for calling something an "in-house" movement, they are at least proprietary and probably good quality.

I would not pay retail for their watches, but would certainly consider one used in nice condition or a gift.

#10 ·
Hi everyone,

I believe that many on this forum do no exactly like watches from brands such as Bvlgari and Hermes but I have been getting rather bored of my Datejust and have been looking to sell it and replace it with something else.

And recently some of the Hermes watches began to catch my attention. I am aware that Hermes has been making attempts at trying to up its game in the luxury watch segment as well with new in house developments.

What are your opinions on this brand?
Not that you asked, but I don't think I would sell an Oyster to get something else. I'd more likely just stick it in a box/drawer for a while and resume wearing it again some day in the future.

As go Hermes, I think they are a fine brand and I think they make some cool looking watches. The thing for me is that the merits/traits of their products matter to me far more than does the brand itself; I have no intention of buying the brand, but I have brought items (mostly riding gear for my daughter and scarves for my lady, although I have for myself a couple of their 1980s era cumberbund sets) that carry the brand name.

I have no reservation about buying and/or wearing an Hermes watch. Hermes isn't a maker that's consistent with my collecting themes, but they are certainly a maker from whom I might consider buying a watch if they offer one that I just feel like I want it for aesthetic or sartorial purposes. I have no reason to deride Hermes or dissuade someone from buying an Hermes watch.

All the best.

#33 ·
Hey if anyone is interested I have a hermes skeleton watch for sale in havanah color. That is the brown color essentially. It's very beautiful. It is 1 year old, and I barely have worn it. It still has original warranty too for one more year. PM me if interested. It was 9400, I'm asking only 4350.

#35 ·
I would certainly consider one of these:

#37 ·
Here's the factual truth: people buy Hermes watches because they are forced to do it in order to get the sales to offer them the Birkin. Either that or some clothes.

#44 ·
I did some googling and would appreciate some clarification/explanation/correction with the figures.

This Birkin bag STARTS at ~$10kk USD???

They play silly games with availability.

The Hermes Slim 38mm with awesome Vaucher Microrotor in steel is ~€6k which is ~$6.7k USD

If maybe you buy the watch they mention they might have a bag available to buy?

Holy mother of God the margins on that bag...

#40 ·
How many Birkins have you bought direct from a Hermes store?

#47 · (Edited)
The high-society equestrian-wannabes that I know love anything with the Hermes name on it. Plastic Quartz or in-house precious-metal mechanicals, it don't matter -- just as long as it sports the Hermes brand name. Could even be a tampon, or an insole... or a disposable diaper for their 2 year-old in a $13K Hermes stroller. They love their Andalusian horses, their lox spread, and their Hermes.

Sent from my slingshot using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.